Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   travel to the lakes in north Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/travel-to-the-lakes-in-north-italy-657819/)

8833 Nov 9th, 2006 12:44 PM

travel to the lakes in north Italy

My husband and I will be visiting the lake regions at the end of May 07 and the first week of June. What type of car would you suggest we drive through this area? What rental company would you suggest?

nessundorma Nov 9th, 2006 12:56 PM

Do you drive a manual stick shift? If you don't, your choice of car is going to be limited, and so will where you can pick one up. Where are you coming from?

Curt Nov 9th, 2006 01:02 PM

Also, if you are going to be doing lots if driving on the secondary roads around the lakes do not get a very big car - the roads can be narrow. I suggest a compact for ease of driving and also for parking.

treplow Nov 9th, 2006 01:15 PM

Over the years I have been very satisfied with renting cars through AutoEurope (check their website). Through them, you are actually getting a car from one of the major rental companies at a discount.

Now, there are a few wrinkles in renting a car in Italy. (1) Some of the major credit card companies (last year it was AMEXCO, and may still be so) won't let you charge a rental car to their account in Italy. (2) While in practically European countries, your creditd card (VISA, etc.) covers the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), in Italy you must buy this additional insurance, which substantially increase the renta rate.

Unless you have already purchased your plane tickets, you may wish to consider flying IN AND OUT OF Germany (Munich, Stuttgart) or Zuerich. This won't add much to your driving time (e.g. Munich to Lake Garda about 4-5 hours), but may save you a substantial amount of money. But you must return the car to the same country (not necessarily city) from where you piked it up. Also, this would save you the hassle as to which credit card you can charge the car.

As "nessundorma" mentioned, if you need automatic transmission you will have to move up to larger car class. Otherwise, cars like Opel Astra, Ford Focus, VW Golf (the latter two you can check out here in the US)will be about the right size. In any event, A/T or not, request a Diesel. You may not get it, but you would save quite a bit in fuel costs, and you hardly can tell the difference between a Diesel and gasoline car in European cars.

If you rent a car in Italy, the new FIAT Panda is quite popular.

GBC Nov 9th, 2006 03:34 PM

Hi....I have a somewhat different take on this question.

First, I would suggest that you rent whatever type car you are accustomed to driving at home. A mid-sized car is useful but a full sized one can work just fine. I drove a Mercedes station wagon - I even parked it many times.

Second, the suggestion of a diesel is a very good idea. It will save you money.

Third, I prefer an car with automatic and a/c because usually a car equipped this way will also have a security system including remotely operated door locks and an alarm.

Finally, be sure that the car you rent has a trunk (boot) large enough to hold all of your stuff out of sight.

The lake area is beautiful in May - you're sure to have a great trip.