Travel to Scotland

Aug 6th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Travel to Scotland

I have heard many people saying that Scotland is the best place for planning a holiday trip along with the wife and kids, as there are a lot of places to visit, and you find a lot of things which suits the taste of young and the adult. If you have ever visited Scotland, you can share your experiences with all of us. Where did you stayed and how long you stayed?
Aug 6th, 2010, 04:14 AM

Or you could type 'Scotland' in the 'Search the forums' box and find out for yourself!
Aug 6th, 2010, 07:29 AM

I spent 15 days in Scotland with two nephews (11 and 14) and we all had a grand time.

Mull for three days: two castles, a short ride on a tiny train which we picked up at one of the castles. Took a boat trip to Staffa and watched puffins come in and out of holes from just a few feet away. The boys absolutely loved that. Spent a few hours on Iona. The rest of the time hiked, walked the beaches, etc.

Fort Augustus area one week. Saw one of the highland games which were there for a couple of days. Very informative and lots of fun. There were games in which youngsters were invited to participate. No presign up necessary. The boys had fun at that. Saw the tossing of the caber, hurling a weight (can't remember the name for that) and other activities unique to Scotland. Took a cruise on Loch Ness.
Up to Culloden one day. Visited Cawdor Castle and gardens. At Drumnadrochit we visited the Nessie exhibit and stopped at Urquart Castle. Highland Wildlife Park: animals being bred to reintroduce into the wild. Had an interesting walkabout with a ranger who was informative and funny. Watched from overhead observation point when wolves were being fed and the process was explained of how they were avoiding human contact to keep the wild instincts alive. Large enclosures for the wolves (acres and acres).

Two days in Stirling. Took the train into Edinburgh for the day. took the hop on-hop-off bus. Walked the royal mile and visited the castle. (there is much more to do in Edinburgh, but we couldn't do it all). Stirling Castle and Wallace Monument.

Then down to Bamburgh (actually England, but close to the borders). Visited Bamburgh Castle and Alnwick Castle. Went to Lindisfarne Island and hiked out to the abbey ruins and watched the tide come in which cut us off from the mainland for several hours. Took a boat trip out to the bird areas on the Farne Islands. One day went down to Hadrian's wall and visited the museum of Roman life. BBC was taping a special show there and interviewed the boys and were suitably impressed with their knowledge of history especially since they were Americans. They bought fake swords at the museum gift shop. I was glad it was the end of the trip when they made this purchase as I was ready to confiscate them after about 24 hours and fortunately the weapons had to go into the checked luggage for the flight home.

This is just a sample of the things we did. Aunt and nephews enjoyed the trip immensely. (Some of my friends say that aunt does not count as an adult as I spent too much of my life with kids and never progressed beyond 11 years old or so)

We packed the rental car with a box of goodies, which we bought at a grocery store the first day--peanut butter and jelly, bread, juice boxes,fruit, cookies,a roll of paper towels, plastic cutlery and paper plates so we could stop for a picnic whenever hunger struck. We found lots of little cafes for lunch as well. Ate in pubs a couple of evenings and had one or two "nice restaurant" experiences. We also bought an inexpensive rubber ball (sort of soccer size) and had that in the trunk and when we were at appropriate places, the boys could kick it around and use up energy.

One of the things I had the kids do was keep a journal and memory book. It was just a bunch of looseleaf notebook pages. Each day they taped in postcards they had bought and wrote a sentence or two about the day's activities. (I had packed a pair of scissors and some scotch tape.) When they got home, they put the pages in a looseleaf binder and then added their own snaps from their point and shoot cameras. One was a disposable mostly cardboard camera which fell in a toilet along the way. (Don't ask!) The kid picked it out and when it sort of dried out, we taped the peeling cardboard and it worked for the rest of the trip. Pictures came out ok.

Hope you'll go and have a wonderful trip!
Aug 6th, 2010, 09:17 AM

Sorry, but no one can give you useful advice/recommendations (despite the nice previous post) w/o more info from you. "Sharing my experiences" of Scotland would fill a huge book (been there 20-30 times)

I'd start w/ checking a few of the many Scotland trip reports posted here. Then click on DESTINATIONS at the top of the page and read some of Fodors recommendations.

Then post back here w/ details like:

The ages of your kids? When you plan on visiting? For how long? Do you plan on driving or need to rely on public transport? What sorts of things interest you? If you want recs about where to stay - we need your budget. Are there any specific places you want to visit?
Aug 6th, 2010, 10:18 AM

"people saying that Scotland is the best place for planning a holiday trip along with the wife and kids"

How old are your children?
Aug 6th, 2010, 11:32 AM

OP profile states current location as Edinburgh so I'm not sure what the intent of the thread is.
Aug 6th, 2010, 11:38 AM

wellididntknowthat

I would not like to be a serial killer with you on the case.

Strange really.
Aug 6th, 2010, 01:03 PM

Wow - thanks wellidkt!

Hey Millset: the jig is UP!!

You post what we all thought was a seemingly a sincere plea for help. You didn't actually ask any questions so I guess we shouldn't have assumed you were traveling TO Scotland and actually live there . . .

Your profile says:

I am passionate about traveling to different places,and writing the stuff, that can provide a guidance for the fun lovers, who love to cherish the best holiday memories in Scotland. And that your last trip was to Perth.

By any chance are you using us to research for your own book/articles?

It is always better to be forthcoming and lay out what you REALLY want.
Aug 6th, 2010, 03:44 PM

Elementary my dear Numpty