Travel to Rome

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 09:57 AM
dbscandy

Travel to Rome

From your experience, please tell us the safe, but convenient, area to stay. We are aware of pickpockets. We dont want to walk the streets at midnight but dont want to feel threatened just because the sun goes down. Coming from Israel & Florida, we DO have a healthy respect for crime and violence that occurs.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 10:05 AM
Jane

Rome by and large is not a violent city, it is a city where your property is at risk, however. Leave the jewelery at home, the good stuff, and anything that looks like good stuff. Hide your money belt well, and don't advertise wealth in any way.

As a solo female traveller I have walked the streets of Rome at night. Believe me when I say you will not be alone. Rome is a pedestrian city, unless your walking along a freeway of course.

Most places are safe, where are you planning on staying?

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 10:17 AM
dbscandy

A place to stay is our big dilemma...we're on a low budget so we want inexpensive plus safety...Is that possible??? We have looked at the Termini station area and a nice park hotel just west of the Vatican. Going in November is helping a LOT!!!

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Jane

Just had a power outage in the middle if my response to you, so here it is again.

I stay by the Termini whenever I'm in Rome. I have checked out hotels in the historical centre and always shy away due to the prices. I have found two hotels in the Termini area which are very nice and are located on a quiet side street, if there is such a thing in Rome! Quieter than most, shall we say.

Best Western Hotel Canada is my favourite place to stay, and will be booking there again next fall. It's about 290,000 (room) to 360,000 (jr suite) a night, is that in your budget? The rooms look like 4* and the staff is very friendly. The decor is light (yellows etc), lots of goodies left for you in the bathroom, and you can get a view over a small planted courtyard in the middle. It's worth every penny.

If you want something slightly cheaper the Villafranca is down the street, again, a Best Western. It's decor is a little darker, darker woods etc, but same service, and amenities for a slightly lower rate. Go to wwww. bestwestern.com. fill in city-rome, country-italy, and you can see pictures of both of them.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Celeste

My daughter and I really enjoyed staying at a B&B just outside Campo Di Fiori and really enjoyed that area. We reserved the B&B through Sleepinitaly.com for 200,000 lira per night and were very satisfied with it and the location.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 01:49 PM
micia

Believe the above posts, especially the first one after yours from Jane.

If you have a hotel near the Vatican or as someone mentioned, one near Campo dei Fiori, I would opt for those areas over Termini.

However, where ever you stay, don't worry. Use common sense. Also, you will not be the only one on the streets at midnight.
You are also more likely to run into pickpockets on the buses or metro.
Bus route #64 is the most popular.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 01:50 PM
micia

I mentioned #64 because most tourists staying in the Termini area use this bus to get to the center.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Jane

Micia, are you recommending someone actual take bus #64? It's rife with pickpockets and has been written up in many a guidebook.

dbscandy, do NOT take bus #64.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Jane

Sorry, Micia, I misread your post. My apologies!