Travel to Prague,Czek

Old Jul 27th, 1997, 11:20 AM
Steve Staples

Travel to Prague,Czek

I am planning a trip to Prague,Czek.in mid August and have heard that recently there has been a lot of rain and flooding. Is it feasable to continue with plans or should I make others. I read that on train from Vienna to Prague was derailed by high water.
Also any tips on Prague and getting there from Zurich.

Old Jul 28th, 1997, 08:20 AM
Sally

Just returned from Prague [will post suggestions later ] As of July 22nd getting from Vienna to Prague by train was impossible. They claimed to be routing trains around the floods, but the Austrian Auto Club was not booking train travel between those points. We ended up having to fly.
The main train station in Prague is very confusing. No English signage that I could find. In Prague you can go to a travel agent to book a train. MUCH easier. BTW the cab drivers at the main station are very dishonest. One wanted 700 crowns for a ride that had cost me legitimately 220 crowns. [We would have taken the Metro, but we had no change and the machine instructions were beyond us after 8 hrs over the Atlantic!]
The rain still seems to be coming. I would just stay on top of it as you get closer to departure. Buses are an alternative as they have more flexibility in routing.

Old Aug 14th, 1997, 09:07 AM
Joe

I took the train from Prague to Vienna Aug. 2nd and returned to Prague Aug. 6th. There was no problem with serious rain (we had a couple afternoon showers when we returned to Prague). The train to Vienna was rerouted because of flooding, and it added about 2 hrs. to the trip. On the return trip the train traveled the regular route; there were still some signs of high water in fields along the way, but nothing serious and no delays. Prague itself was unaffected by the high water elsewhere in eastern Europe. Have a good trip.

Old Aug 15th, 1997, 12:28 PM
robin

Prague is a wonderful city that shouldn't be missed, even with the rain. Although there have been slight delays with trains and buses, schedules are pretty much back on track. The worst is over. Have a good trip, enjoy the beer.

Old Aug 15th, 1997, 12:29 PM
robin

Prague is a wonderful city that shouldn't be missed, even with the rain. Although there have been slight delays with trains and buses, schedules are pretty much back on track. The worst is over. Have a good trip, enjoy the beer.