Travel to Paris/Brussels/Amsterdam

Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Travel to Paris/Brussels/Amsterdam

After contemplating some possible routes in Europe including travel time, I've decided to make a trip to Paris/Brussels/Amsterdam instead of an original plan of Brussels/Amesterdam/Rome and possibly Florence and Venice. As a side note to anyone concerned, the plan would be: fly into Paris (8 days/7 nights), then on to Brussels (for 2 or 3 nights) and then on to Amsterdam (for 4 or 5 nights) then flying home out of Amsterdam. I have pretty specific ideas of what I want do in Paris and Brussels. I primarily need hotel suggestions for all 3 cities, and suggestions of MUST DO's in Amsterdam. I enjoy history, art, and museums and great architecture. I welcome your suggestions.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:43 AM

Greetings - first I would look into apartment rentals they are usually cheaper and much nicer to stay in. Then regarding amsterdam - the homepage of fodors has an amsterdam for easter week end article I would begin with their suggestions. then I would go to the netherlands section of this forum and type in "must do amsterdam" there is a lot posted already for example "Amsterdam is very easy to get around on foot or by tram. A nice spot is Spui near the main shopping district (restaurants, cafes, a small park).
If you like museums , visit Van Gohg( really wonderful ) and parts of Rijks ( it is huge)
We did not wish to wait in line for Ann Frank's House
Most people take a boat ride on the canals - touristy, but still very enjoyable.
The Red Light District is an area that some people like to avoid, others view it as a" must " in Ams. Same with the "coffee shops"'
Your choice!

Mar 2nd, 2007, 10:27 AM

When in Amsterdam, if you plan on seeing several museums and taking a canal boat cruise, then I would highly recommend the Amsterdam Card.

http://www.amsterdam.info/pass/

For €43.00 you can get a 48-hour card which entitles you to transport on tram, bus and underground, as well as admission to 27 different attractions (all the biggies except Anne Frank Huis), plus 2 canal cruises, and a 25% discount on other services.

We used the card a few years ago, and it was worth the money. On Day 1 we visited the Amstelkring and the Oude Kerk, while walking around the RLD in the morning, enjoying the architecture. Then we walked over to the Amsterdam Historich Museum where we spent 2 hours walking through 24+ rooms and hundreds of years of history. After ducking into the Begijnhof, we ate breakfast at T'het Singeltji, a pancake house in the flower market, then on to the Theatre Museum. We're theatre people, and this museum even bored us...we should have done the Willet Holthuysen Museum instead. While we were wandering along the canals, we stopped by the Houseboat Museum for a quick look around. We saved the Anne Frank House for later in the day, when the lines are shorter, then went to dinner. After dinner we took the evening canal cruise based near Central Station and enjoyed looking at the lights of Amsterdam.

We started our second day at the Waterlooplein, wandering through the flea market, checking out the Normaal Amsterdam Peil in the Stopera (free), and visiting the Rembrandthuis. We stopped in at the Hollandse Schowburg (free), then on to the Resistance Museum. After a bite to eat in a brown cafe, we were off to the Van Gogh Museum and the Rijksmuseum. We finished up our day by taking another canal cruise, this one based near the museums, before heading off for dinner at our favorite Chinese restaurant, Nam Kee.

Enjoy your travels. Peace, Robyn >-
Mar 2nd, 2007, 10:41 AM

I have no idea what price range you seek, but Hotel Kap was a good budget option in Amsterdam, on a quiet street, out by the canals and near-ish to Leidseplein. In Paris, Hotel Monge similar price and style.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 10:45 AM
ira

Hi D

In Paris, we always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. From 124E dbl w/bkfst. It is located near 3 metro stops. Has AC and an elevator.

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search this forum" box.

Photos are at http://tinyurl.com/ludgd

Enjoy your visit.

Mar 31st, 2007, 03:00 AM

Hi - just posted on your other (older) query.

This itinerary is definitely easier. I am off to Paris for a few days next week so will be doing the tourist thing there - haven't been for a few years so looking forward to soaking up the atmosphere..

What is your budget for hotels? Amsterdam is small and has a great tram/bus system so you have a lot of choices here.

My must do's for A'dam are

1.Canal boat - touristy but the best way to get an overview.

2.Rijksmuseum - main part closed to remodel but a highlights wing is open.

3.Van Gogh museum

4.Begijnhof - a small courtyard in the middle of the city originally for lay sisters (sort of nuns). The houses are now lived in by widows. amazingly quiet in the centre of town.

5. Have a coffee or a glass of wine in the cafe at the top of Kalvertoren shopping center. Amazing views over the city.

6 Red Light district: you have to have seen this whatever your views it is an experience. And surprisingly safe - police patrol all the time. Go late afternoon if you are not comfortable going at night.

7.Eat french fries with mayonnaise! Also close to the Kalvertoren shopping center there is a wonderfull place to get "frites"

8. Stroll down the canals after dark. Amsterdam is so beautiful with the old houses and lights - and Dutch people have this strange habit of not drawing the curtains - so you can look inside! It's something to do with Calvinism and the idea that if you close your curtains you have something to hide!

9. visit a market - Albert Cuyp, Noordermarkt or Waterlooplein.

10. Go to a traditional Dutch pub eg Cafe Hoppe on Spui and order a "kopstoot" literally a headbutt. A shot of jenever (dutch gin) with a chaser of beer. Also eat Bitterballen - barsnacks very typically Dutch.

Enjoy!
Mar 31st, 2007, 03:25 AM

I didn't see a mention of when you plan to travel, but note that Amsterdam in September will be difficult for hotels if you're planning to visit b/t Sept5-12, large conference sells everything out.

Also, if you state your budget for hotel room (double?), it will help with recommendations.

You can pre-book your train on www.sncf.com and look for non-refundable fares called "Smilys" (requires a r/t ticket but you can toss the return). "How To" on MorganB's detailed thread:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34803732

Search this Thread