Travel to Nice: Airfare and Hotel

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 10:40 AM
Rebecca

Travel to Nice: Airfare and Hotel

I am going to Paris and Nice in mid-September. We have the Paris part planned out (at least the airfare, hotel -- and I made sure to get the museum passes to avoid the lines). <BR> <BR>Now I need help planning the Nice part. I have reserved the airfare between Paris and Nice for approximately $200/ticket on Air France. Is that a reasonable fare or should I try to find something better? <BR> <BR>As for hotels, I am still looking. We would like to spend between $100-$150 a night, in a three or four star (prefer four star). I have heard about the Splendid hotel in Nice. Has anyone stayed here? What other Nice hotels should we look at? <BR> <BR>Thanks for all your help in planning this trip.

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 12:16 PM
Christina

If that's a RT fare, it's reasonable. Train fare is about the same as that, and it's very difficult to get any within-Eur. flight for less than $100 one-way. YOu shouldn't have a problem on the hotel, hotels are a lot cheaper in Nice than in Paris. I stayed in a 3-star hotel and it was only a little over US$100 a night, as I recall. It was nice enough but nothing so special I'd recommend it. I would choose a hotel next time closer to the promenade/pedestrian-walking area, that is the most convenient.

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 04:37 PM
Julian

Probably irrelevant to you, but the British budget airline Easyjet flies from Nice to London Luton. More info at www.easyjet.com if you're interested.

Old Jul 29th, 2000, 04:32 AM
Mary

I have stayed at the Hotel Splendid years ago, but more recently we stay next door at the Hotel Gounod, which is owned and operated by the Splendid. We were there this past January and paid 450 FF a night; in season is about 600 or more. <BR> <BR>The rooms are good size and the desk help speaks great English, and you have use of all the amenities of the Splendid (pool, rooftop bar, restaurant, fitness room, etc.). <BR> <BR>Hope this helps.

Old Jul 29th, 2000, 01:45 PM
natasha

we just reserved hotel Le Grimaldi in Nice, which was given great reviews by Conde Nast Traveler. it is 790 FF a night for a double room. it was renovated in 1998 and looks pretty nice(http://www.tripspot.com/listcondenast.htm) <BR>hope this helps

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 09:56 AM
Rebecca

Thanks for all your help. We will check these places out.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 01:37 PM
Carol

At the end of May, I stayed at a terrific extremely moderately-priced charming little 3-star hotel in Nice--the Bleu Marine, 33 Blvd. Victor Hugo. It's located on a broad beautiful tree-lined street, less than 10 minutes to the beach or the train station, and has a lovely garden where breakfast is served in warm weather. It was recently renovated so everything is very fresh and pretty--and all rooms are air-conditioned. It's modern but intimate and warm. Believe it or not, I paid 505 francs for my single room, and the buffet breakfast was an additional 60 ff/day (optional). I'll post their website for you tomorrow. By the way, I booked my room through Travelocity and everything went very smoothly.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 05:57 PM
Key Collie

I stayed at The Hotel Windsor a small charming hotel a block or two from the Baye. There is a garden and small pool with reasonable rates. Don't miss the flower market-- ithink it's on Mondays Check this out. Nice is a great town. See the Matisse and Chagall Museums.