Hotel in Florence

Search

Hotel in Florence

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Florence

Hello, My daughter and I decided to go to Venice we'll be there for 4 nights and then 6 nights in Florence. Our trip begins on Oct. 15th so we will be in Florence on Oct. 20th.
Can you give us some hotel suggestions. A travel agent we're working with has recommended the Golden Tower which is over $500 p/night. I'm hoping to find something a little less than that. I was told by some that is typical for a nice hotel. And I've also been told by others that is just not so. This is our first trip to Europe and we could use some help on finding a great hotel in Florence. Thanks so much
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 09:39 AM

It depends on your definition of nice, but I think that $500 is extravagant. I would much rather spend that on food, wine or shoes. Check bookin.com for ballparks.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 09:40 AM

Sorry, the letter between f and h is not working unless I cut and paste. make that booking.com .
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 09:49 AM

Try an apartment, we stayed in the Casini apartment. Location was great, the place was clean and we loved I!

http://www.sleepinginflorence.com/apartments.htm
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 10:05 AM

I would fire your TA if she cannot do better than that:

BOB’S FAVORITE HOTELS IN FLORENCE---2011

SMALL B&Bs Prices from 120 to 190E for a double room

http://www.touristhouseghiberti.com/ Nice B&B near Duomo

www.ilvillino.it Nice people and good value

www.florencegrandtour.com Newer B&B with good reviews

www.ladimoradegliangeli.com Lovely new B&B—great location

MID –RANGE HOTELS: Prices from 150 to 300E by season

* www.hoteldavanzati.it Great location and amenities

* www.ortodeimedici.it Perfect location and nice hotel

* www.hotelcasci.com Good family hotel in good location

* www.hotelsilla.it Across the river with less noise & people

* www.ilguelfobianco.it Hard to beat for location and service

BETTER 4 STAR HOTELS: Prices from 200 to 350E by season

www.hotel-pierre-florence.com Very central and nice hotel

www.hoteldelaville.it A Florence standard for nicer hotels

www.monnalisa.it An elegant historical palace—Santa Croce

www.residenzadelmoro.com/ Lovely hotel in centro Florence
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 10:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I stayed at a B&B within walking distance of the train station (between the train station and Duomo area) a few years ago. It seems to be about 130€ a night in Oct. I agree an apartment would be better for 6 nights.

http://www.allorobb.it/

I've also stayed in an apartment across the river which might not be as close as a first time visitor might want to stay (about a 15 minute walk from the train station, but bus also available). I paid 79€ (Sept. 2011) a night for twin beds with kitchen/living room and interior garden.

http://www.residenzailcarmine.com/
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 10:10 AM

It depends on what you are looking for in a hotel. If you give us an idea of what hotels you would be staying in in the US = people can make recos.

The best hotels in town in Italian cities will typically cost $700 to $800 per night (similar to Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, etc). If you are looking at 4* type hotels you will probably be looking at about $400 or so per night. There are perfectly pleasant 3* hotels that you can probably get for about $300 per night.

Do remember that the dollar is worth much less than the euro - so you need to take that account in terms of prices you should think if a type of hotel costs about $200 in the US it will cost about 200 euros (about $300) in Italy.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much. I've been on those sites. My issue is that having never been there I don't know what to expect. So I'm also looking for some recommendations from personal experience.
By "nice" I guess I mean, great location (easy to walk anywhere) clean, beautiful, good food and service! Not funky - but doesn't have to be elegant either!
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 10:17 AM

Susan - Since this is your first trip to Europe and you were clever enough to make your way to the wonderful Fodors forums, I would like to offer some basic info to help you in your quest. It sounds like you prefer nice places but your budget is not totally unlimited. You are smart to seek alternatives.

First, do your own primary source research. It is so easy with the internet. Do not rely on what the travel agent says. That is an absurd statement that you have to pay $500+ for a "nice" hotel. I don't think you even have to pay that much for THIS hotel. When comparing prices, remember these variables so you are comparing apples-to-apples:

1) Read the fine print to see if the rate is inclusive of all taxes (typically US websites or those that quote in US dollars do not include VAT or other local taxes. More typically, European sites such as www.venere.com do include taxes.)

2) Check to see if the rate quoted includes breakfast or no breakfast (full or continental).

3) Notice that there are different classes of rooms within the same hotel. Your agent may be quoting a suite. But this hotel has two grades below a suite: Deluxe and Classic. It looks like the deluxe room doesn't have twin beds but the Classic does. This might be important if you and your daughter are more comfortable with each having your own bed!

4) Notice any specials. This hotel, for example discounts their rate by 8% for those staying 2 or more nights but you have to select that rate class to get the discount. You can pay even less if you are willing to pay in advance, non-refundable. But the above rate still allows you to cancel 48 hours+ in advance with no penalty.

5) Consider that travel agents steer their customers to properties that pay the agent a commission so smaller boutique hotels might not get mentioned.

6) Although many here can recommend hotels, you will be getting the opinion of just one person. Check out ratings on www.tripadvisor.com or on www.booking.com (I like the latter because one must have actually booked through them and completed a stay to give a review, so less likely to have fake reviews submmitted by the hotel's own staff or friends) Also you can view hotel photos and map it.

7) With hotels anywhere, location is the main driver of cost differential among equally nice properties. The nice thing about Florence is that it is compact and very walkable. Just about anywhere between the Piazza del Duomo and the River will be nice. I'd just avoid the area around the train station.

I just googled the hotel and found their direct (no intermediary) website in Engligh here:
http://www.goldentowerhotel.it/en

I searched on your dates and find you can have a classic twin bedded room with breakfast, including all taxes for $425 per night, not $500 (that's using a generous 1.4 dollars to the Euro exchange rate). You can book this directly with the hotel. That is still pricier than you need to spend though it is in a very good location and rating a 9.1 (Excellent) on Booking.com.

That said, I notice this hotel has spa services for which you might be paying a premium. So, I'm pretty sure you could find a nice place in a good location at a lower rate than this.

Check out Fodor's own ratings too. Buon Viaggio!
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 10:18 AM

I see Bob the Navigator has posted. You're lucky. Check our his recommendations for sure.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 10:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I wouldn't pick a hotel in Florence based on good food. There are many good restaurants and would not plan on eating in a hotel. This historic center of Florence is very compact (20-30 minute walk from side-to-side) and about a 10 minute walk from the train station. B&B's and apartments would probably not work for you if you want a lot of service. Try venere for hotels. It's website for booking hotels in Europe has been around for years.

www.venere.com
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 10:25 AM

Susan,

The hotel that I would recommend in Florence is the Hotel Lungarno. It is right on the river and has the most beautiful views that really make being in Florence like a dream. I would definitely splurge for the rooms with a view. This is a really beautiful property without being pretentious. And a great place to walk to all the things you want to see.
http://www.lungarnocollection.com/en...hotel-lungarno

And check out the reviews on TripAdvisor too.

Happy travels,

LisaG
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 10:32 AM

Information on hotel tax in Florence that is now added to the 10% VAT.

http://www.italylogue.com/accommodat...-avoid-it.html
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 10:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Hotel Lungarno is a lovely hotel! I had drinks on the terrace there with a great view of the Ponte Vecchio.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Good Point nytraveler. Definitely not Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons calabur - but OK w/about 300 to 400 top USD.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

WOW -- thank you ALL. I'm so relieved that I've checked in with Fador's.. you are all so generous w/your time and suggestions. I've got my research to do! Any additional suggestions would be so very welcomed and appreciated.
With Gratitude and absolute best to you all,
Susan
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much LeslieC. You have given me such valuable information and suggestions. I've already sent an email to my Travel Agent letting her know that the hotel she booked in Florence for that rate is not right for us. I will do my own research and possibly book the hotel on my own. I was a bit nervous to do that -- but you've given me such great info as have all that have responded that I think I will be just fine doing that.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 04:24 PM

Sites like booking.com and venere.com are widely used and secure. You can also book directly with hotels. Just look to be sure the site is secure. If you ever land on the site and it's all in Italian, just look for a link to English or an icon of a British or Amercian flag to switch to English.

Just don't give your credit card info in an email.

I love to sort by rating (highest to lowest) and then by map view, to pick the neighborhood I like. Check it out for Venice too. You will start to have so much find making your own hotel choices, you'll never use a TA again!
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 04:33 PM
mjs

The hotel Lungarno is very nice and with a good location. We preferred the Lungarno suites across the river for a one bedroom suite for about the same price with included kitchen and lovely bathrooms with shower.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 06:42 PM

My husband and I went to Florence last year and stayed at the Hotel Pendini. I loved it there, nice sized room, as well as bathroom. Very clean and includes Breakfast buffett. It was about $190's a night through Hotel.com. Nice location and very helpful staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -