Reload this Page >

Help me plan! Paris, Florence, Amalfi Coast

Old Jul 9th, 2017, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone has done this itinerary before or have any advice for planning a trip to Paris, Florence, and Positano? My sister and I are planning to go beginning of September and we only have 12 days including travel time. This will also be our first time visiting these cities. Ideally, I would like to spend at least 4-5 days in Paris. Is this a reasonable itinerary? We would fly out of Dallas, TX. Anyone know the best order and which city we should fly in and out of? Also, how would we get to each place? Fly or train from Paris to Florence? And then how would we get to Positano from Florence? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

-Nina
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 06:19 AM

Your problem is going to be the amount of time you have. Do you have 12 full days (meaning 13 nights on the ground) in Europe? Remember that each time you change locations, it will use up at least half a day as sometimes as much as a full day. If it was me - and it isn't - I'd choose just two places.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 06:22 AM

I don't think I would do all three with only 12 days. If you do all 3 and end in Positano, you will fly home from Naples. I would fly into Paris then head to Italy. You could look at EasyJet or Ryan Air for flights from Paris to Italy (Florence or Naples depending on what you decide).

Have you checked hotel inventory in Positano? If you have not, you should check ASAP to see what is available. September is lovely but still quite warm in Positano.

I would choose a Paris and save Florence for another time. The 3 destinations are not so close together and you will lose too much true vacation time moving between 3 different destinations.

If you go to Florence, you could take a train from Florence to Salerno and then take a ferry to Positano.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The OP says 12 days including travel days. Texas to Europe: One day. Europe to Texas: One day. Remainder: 10 days. Paris 4 days, one of which will certainly be jet lagged. Travel to Italy: One day. Remainder: 5 days. If travelling between two places in Italy (Florence, Positano) deduct another day. Remainder 4 days for two places in Italy.

Conclusion: Plan is technically feasible but not enjoyable.

Recommend: Drop one location.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 08:52 AM

I meant to say I would choose a Paris and Positano above...sorry.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 09:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
What you include in your itinerary should be determined by your chances of returning in the not too distant future.

I have been to places where I even surprised my self with efficient planning.

You can get a nice taste of Paris and Florence allowing 3 days for each. You could also do with double the time in each place.

For Florence, I've seen gigantic lines for some of the more popular museums. There's a phone number you can call to get an English speaking person and make reservations for the Accademia Museum (David). No wait at all.

The historic center of Florence is small and easily walked. You can do a lot in a short amount of time.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 09:19 AM

What do you want to do on the Amalfi Coast? Sun bathe, drink lemoncello, and eat? Or visit the towns along the coast, also Capri and Pompeii? Not to speak of Herculaneum, Mt. Vesuvius, Paestum, Naples. As you can see, there's quite a lot to see and do around the Amalfi Coast. You have to decide.

On the other hand, if you're big fans of renaissance art and architecture, Florence might be the best choice.

But I do think flying into Paris, flying on to Naples after Paris and ending with a flight home from Naples is the best choice.

It takes us a overnight flight to get from the west coast US to Europe. So the first 2 days of our trip are pretty much swallowed up by the flight and jet lag/sleepiness.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 09:23 AM

No. It is not reasonable in 12 days total.

Including the AC in any trip takes a bit more time and planning. Getting to Naples and on down to the AC eats up more time than you might think. You will need to spend the last night near the airport from which you will be flying home, so at least part of another day may be used up getting from Positano back to Naples or even Rome, depending on flights, etc. I personally love the AC, so I am not saying not to do it, just that getting there and getting around once there, takes time. Stay long enough to make it worth the time spent getting there. BTW, on the AC, don't limit yourself to staying in Positano.

Are you both into Art? Michelangelo's David, The Duomo, Botticelli, Cathedrals, Etc.? Are you interested in seeing beautiful hill towns, like Sienna and Luca, in Tuscany? Do you enjoy very small, easy to walk around, but sometimes crowded, city centers filled with beautiful narrow streets and buildings? Choose Florence.

If a dramatic coastline with fabulous views, towns that seem precariously perched on cliffs, Pompeii and Herculaneum and boats and water call to you, then choose the AC. The AC is not a place to rush. It is to relax and absorb the atmospheric natural beauty and explore archeological sites.

If a huge, beautiful city with famous churches and monuments, cafes, parks, world class Art museums and the palace and parks of Versailles is appealing, then choose Paris.

There are so many wonderful things to do and see in each place. Pick two. Then work out logistics.

Have you looked at flight possibilities from the States? Can you fly into or out of Naples or Florence or must it be Rome in Italy?

Look at multi-city or multi-destination. With places so far apart, you do not want to do any RT and have to use up more time and money returning to your arrival city.

I suggest Italy first and Paris last because your last night would be in Paris, no change of hotel. If you are in Florence, you might have to go to Rome the last night, and from the AC (depending on where you are), you might have to go to Naples the night before. Both depend on flight times.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 01:18 PM

Yes as Mimar says what do you want to do in Positano -just drink up the ambience of the cute port town -but if you want to visit the places mimar mentions it would require 3-4 days - so you could fly from Paris to Florence (or nearby Pisa's larger airport) and take train to Naples - transfer by train and bus or private driver to Positano - but better chose two and if Positano fly to Naples.