Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Travel to Italy and France in July (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/travel-to-italy-and-france-in-july-600781/)

crimson Mar 20th, 2006 07:33 AM

Travel to Italy and France in July

I'm travelling with a group to Italy and France in July of this year. We will be travelling with a tour company who is providing a guide. The trip is for 9 days. Any suggestions on clothes to take or packing tips?

ira Mar 20th, 2006 07:47 AM

Hi C,

Where will you be in France and Italy?

((I))

crimson Mar 20th, 2006 07:59 AM

Ouritinerary,in order is: Rome, Florence, Nice,and then Paris. I'm wondering if we need to pack sweaters, clean clothes for each day (or is it possible to do laundry?) and dressier clothes for evening dining. This group consists of people ages 20-55. Are jeans acceptable and our famous white sneakers? I really have no idea. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

ira Mar 20th, 2006 08:06 AM

Hi C,

For only 9 days, you should be able to pack everything in one carryon tote bag. :)

For your visit, it will be hot.

You want to wear jeans in July?

Bring a light windbreaker and an umbrella.

Have a nice visit.

((I))

crimson Mar 20th, 2006 08:12 AM

That's what I was hoping you'd say! We're from Alabama, and it's very hot here in July. I was hoping we could get by with a carry-on and lightweight slacks, tops, and sweater. Thanks so much.

WallyKringen Mar 20th, 2006 08:25 AM

Crimson, it will pay for you to spend a few bucks on the kinds of clothes that will make your trip a pleasure. Go to websites like Cabelas, sierratrading, magellans, ex officio, etc. and look for lightweight easy-wash and quick-dry garments, pants with cargo pockets (zippered if possible), shirts with the security pockets behind regular chest pockets, with sweat-avoiding wicking features and such.

Some fishing attire actually makes for great travel clothing. The stuff is lightweight, they make incredible materials from synthetic and natural fibers, you wash it in the shower before bed-time, hang it on a piece of nylon rope you bring along, and the next morning you have fresh clothes to wear.

You'll love travelling light, and since you go to a lot of cities, you don't want to look like you just came in from the beach, either, and shorts are a no-no when you visit churches where a bit of respect is demanded.

I would take only a roll-away wheelie that is legal in the US for carry-on, and a small light backpack for daytime use (water, camera, guidebook, city map, apple...). Anything more and you'll hate it.

Wk

suze Mar 20th, 2006 09:25 AM

Check with your tour company if there are any guidelines or restrictions for what type, size, weight of suitcase you can bring.

It will most likely be warm to hot in July. I would take one sweater max, wear it on the plane ride over. Possibly an unlined nylon windbreaker if you are worried about rain.

You probably won't have room for an entire clean outfit for every day. Pack the kinds of things that can be worn more than once without laundry. Ask your tour company about laundry possibilities, or for the hotel names and you can ask them direct if they have laundry services.

I would take your favorite 'dressy casual' clothes that you'd wear at home in the summertime. Don't forget a couple pair of comfortable shoes.

nytraveler Mar 20th, 2006 10:55 AM

Bag jeans and huge white sneakers - both are two heavy and hot.

Wear lighter weight clothes - you can count on temps in high 80's up to highest 90's (have you made sure your hotels have AC?) in thin cotton or linen or something.

Unforunately in temps that high almost everybody sweats a lot and you need to shower/change for dinner (but you don;t need dressy clothes - just clean - and a litle sophisticated if possible - I do the washable silks) and fresh clothes every day. So - unless you're going to be in one place long enough to have the hotel wash things - or do laundry - either take enough fresh things - or things that you can wash that dry out in a few hours.