Travel to/from Stromboli

Jun 6th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Travel to/from Stromboli

I will be spending a week in Sicily at the end of June. We will spend time in Agrigento, Siracusa, Catania, Taormina, and our last night will be spent on the island of Stromboli, after which we will travel to visit family on the southern Amalfi coast.

I'm concerned about the travel to and from Stromboli and I'm hoping someone out there can help. How long is the ferry? How often do they run? (the Siremar website is in Italian.) Since we're only spending the night there and spending the next whole day driving through southern Italy, will that end up being a nightmare of a trip or a great way to explore? Also, since we will have a car, and I know we can't bring it to Stromboli, is there a place where we can leave it in Milazzo?

I appreciate the advice!

Jun 6th, 2007, 06:58 PM

I have never travelled to Stromboli to tell you about my experience but you can take a look at viamare.com (the website of a British travel agency) to get an idea about the ferry schedules and, possibly, book tickets.

I talked to them regarding a ticket to Sardinia and their prices were comparable to those I found from other sources. You can find their contact info on the website.
Jun 7th, 2007, 12:22 AM

The Siremar web site (www.siremar.it) isn't difficult to understand. From the first screen, click "Interisole Eolie" then either "Navi" (ships) or "aliscafi" (hydrofoils), then click on the schedule for June. By ship, Milazzo-Stromboli takes about six hours. Hydrofoils can be cancelled in rough weather, so do not plan an itinerary that is dependent on them.
Fast craft to the islands are also run by Ustica Lines (www.usticalines.it) and another car ferry operator is NGI (www.ngi-spa.it).
Jun 7th, 2007, 08:56 AM
kja

Do you have your heart set on Stromboli, rather than one of the other Eolian Islands? Lipari is much more readily reached from Milazzo, and I found it quite charming. And if it matters, Stromboli has (I think) been dormant lately - it certainly was while I was in the area in mid-May. Hope that helps.
Jun 9th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

kja - we have our heart set on seeing an active volcano. Interesting to hear that it has been dormant - that's honestly the only reason we want to visit the island. I wonder if I can find out for sure??
Jun 9th, 2007, 04:49 AM

Stromboli is not dormant. There is always some activitiy. It's just not as active as it was this past March.
http://www.swisseduc.ch/stromboli/vo.../index-en.html
As another post said, Lipari is a better place to overnight. Very charming. You can take a hydrofoil to Stromboli from Lipari and catch the evening ferry to Naples from there (9pm)