Norway in a nutshell MY version

Old Apr 21st, 2015, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norway in a nutshell MY version

Hi Everyone

My husband and I are late 20s couple and are going to Norway in late May, we have 3 days in Bergen and are planing to do our version of the NIN, can you please comment if this is viable:

1) Take a bus from Bergen to Myrdal
2) Take the train from Myrdal to Flam
3) Ferry from Flam to Bergen

What other ferry options to visit the fjords are worth it, landscape speaking?

I would really appreciate any comment or suggestion. Thanks so much
Paola
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 12:34 AM

Mydal is a station in the mountains there is no road there and no bus! Take the train to Myrdal and carry on the usual NiN from there. Taking the express boat from Flåm to Bergen you will miss the slow ferry ride through the Nærøyfjord and the bus ride up the Stalheimskleiva switchback. You will be sitting inside a catamaran with views through a spray covered window (if you are lucky enough to get a window seat!).
If you are going to do your own version of NiN then do it better not worse. Spend a couple of days and take the ferry from Flåm to Balestrand and stay there a night, before returning to Flåm and the Nærøyfjord ferry, bus and train back to Bergen.
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 04:08 AM

I'd suggest taking the train to Voss - see Knute Rockne's grave there if into that - take the thrilling mountain bus ride down to the fjord at Gudvagen - bus stops by the famous Stalheim Hotel for a brief look - then get on the slower but not really slow boats dyoll mentions and float to Flam - we saw whales en route!

Then take the thrilling mountain railway to Myrdhal - with a photo op stop at a roaring waterfalls en route - then take train back to Bergen or onto Oslo - of course you could do the other way around if going back to Bergen - train to Myrdhal - train down to Flam, boat to Gudvagen - bus to Voss - train to Bergen.

You can buy all-includive tickets for all travel components in the Bergen train station last I knew - no reservations needed just hop on.

Really re-cnosider that express boat fro reasons dyoll outlines.

For lots of info on Norwegian trains and Norway in a Nutshell chekc these informative sites: www.ricksteves.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com.
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 01:36 PM

With three days in Bergen if the first day is sunny and nice hop on it - not unusual I think for overcast/rainy weather which would dampen teh fjord tour a lot.
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both.

@Dyoll
I think we are gonna take the night train from Oslo to Voss, then the buss to Gudvangen, ferry to Flam, then ferry to Balestrand, stay the night there and the next day travel buy express boat to Bergen.

Any comments?
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 04:43 PM

Don't take the night train. Some of the scenery of the spine of Norway is great. Instead of going to Balestrand I would take the train Voss to Flam; ferry on the Naerofjord, night at the Stalheim and then on to Bergen. The express ferry from Balestrand to Bergen is not much fun since you have to stay inside the entire time. See above.
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 06:41 PM

I took the ferry from Bergen to Balestrand in May of 2012, and it was one of my favorite ferry trips. However, the weather played an important role. It was sunny and waters were calm so no water sprays on the window and by getting there early, I easily managed to get a window seat. On the trip from Flam to Gudvangen, the weather was cloudy and cool almost cold. I'm a fairly hardy soul but finally had to get inside where 95% of the passengers had already taken up most of the available seats. Unfortunately weather is never predictable.

Please note that not all buses take the circuitous mountain route to the Stalheim Hotel You'll need to check bus schedules to see which ones do.

I loved my stay in Balestrand but thought the Stalheim Hotel was a bit quirky even weird. I wouldn't stay there again. Views are great but honestly the hotel freaked me out a bit. I did have a very nice walk the morning of my departure.

Agree that the Oslo- Myrdal section shouldn't be missed.
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks you all for you quick replays..

I have changed it and would love your comments.

Fly from Oslo to Songdal, bus from Songdal to Voss, ferry from Gudvangen to Flam, then stay either Songdal or Balestrand or somewhere esle where I can explore more of the fjords. Travel to Bergen by speed boat.

Wich place should I stay Songdal or Balestrad. Is the glacier closed in late May? What other side trips with amaizing vies I could do around this area??

Thanks for your help
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 11:51 PM

Balestrand.
Glaciers are never closed, but in May covered in snow and look like the rest of the snow covered mountains - for blue ice you need to visit late summer.
Doesn't really make a lot of sense doing the round trip from Sogndal, rather spend your time on that side of the fjord and do the Flåm thing on your way to Bergen - take express boat Balestrand to Flåm (as you are obviously determined to take one of these boats) and then ferry to Gudvangen, bus to Voss and train to Bergen.
Things to do: http://www.sognefjord.no/en/

Re.: night train from Oslo - getting off in Voss at 05:30 with nothing open would not be a good idea, and a waste of a sleeping compartment. It costs the same to buy the ticket to Bergen, grab a quick breakfast and then take train back to Voss to continue the NiN.
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 06:30 AM

Voss at 5:30 am - yes that is daunting - could be rather cool too - sitting on a station bench.