My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Budapest, Hungary in July 2016 to celebrate our 5 year anniversary. I am obviously starting to plan as early as possible and am looking for any tips! We are in our late 20s (will be 27 at the time of trip), both traveling from Canada (Ontario). I speak English and French and my boyfriend speaks English and Hungarian (his family came here from Yugoslavia in the early 90s and he grew up speaking Hungarian and English in his home). We are planning to go for at least a week—possibly 8 or 9 nights.
1. Did anyone here use a travel website to book? If yes, what site would you recommend (Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, etc)? If not, how did you book?
2. Any recommendations for airlines? Or ones to avoid?
3. Any recommendations for hotels? Or ones to avoid?
4. Is Budapest a walkable city? I don’t mind taking the metro but my boyfriend and I prefer walking (I feel you get to see more and love the exercise)!
5. How expensive are the taxis? We were assuming we'd be taking a taxi from the airport to our hotel.
6. Do you have any tips regarding behaviour and local customs? For example, when I was in Paris it was seen as polite to always say hello and goodbye when entering any store or establishment, even if you were not planning to purchase anything.
7. What are your recommendations for must-see spots?
8. What about food/restaurant recommendations?
9. What are the prices like there? As far as I know, Hungary is not on the Euro.
10. Finally, just any other general tips and information would be much appreciated!
I’ve never traveled to a country in which I don’t speak the language/don’t have any family so I am feeling a little lost and would greatly appreciate any help you could provide.
Thank you all very much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 SBCGLOBAL 1800:681:7208 password reset contact Tec*h supp0rt 24/7
- 2 Lost property at Fiumicino airport Rome
- 3 Trenitalia - lost and found
- 4 Lyceum theatre London
- 5 Wierd Europe map
- 6 UK Mid- May drive week Cornwall
- 7 HOW MUCH SHOULD I TIP THE PILOT
- 8 First time in Normandy & Brittany
- 9 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 10 Ham tacos and the toilet isn't sucking mud
- 11 Transportation in Brittany
- 12 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 13 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 14 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 15 Paris Apartment
- 16 Chinese new year festivities in Paris
- 17 Milan airport--which one
- 18 Which Area in London?
- 19 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 20 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 21 Visit to France
- 22 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 23 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 24 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 25 family trip to Germany and more