Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travel time from Spoleto or Orvieto to FCO?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the early morning? I know I can look it up on Mapquest but I find them very unreliable. Does anyone know how long it will really take? We're still trying to figure out where to spend our last night in Italy, and strange though it may seem to most people, we don't want to spend it in Rome.

Thanks!

Old May 14th, 2004, 01:51 AM

Nina - If you're driving at rush hour round the GRA Rome ring-road it could be very time-consuming. It's impossible to say how long it'll take - it will depend on traffic.

I think I'd choose somewhere closer to FCO to be safe ...

Steve
Old May 14th, 2004, 07:28 AM

Nina, 2 hours from Orvieto, more from Spoleto. Search and find Locanda Rosati just outside Orvieto and a great place to stay.
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:11 AM
ira

Hi nina,

If you take the 07:33 from Orvieto to Rome, you can get the 8:52 express to FCO. You will be there by 9:30.
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob and Ira, we desided to spend the last night in Castello di Romani to be closer to the airport. Two hours is a little too far for a 9am flight.
Old May 14th, 2004, 12:44 PM

Nina,
If you wish to spend the last night in Castelli Romani, and you don't know where to stay, here are some advices (in lived in Genzano, one of the towns of the Castelli):
FRASCATI, maybe the most known of these little towns. There is a very central hotel called CAMERA CON VISTA, which is within walking distance from the local station (the hotel is in the main square, you just need to go down some flights of steps to reach Frascati rail station whose trains arrive in Roma Termini Station).
ARICCIA= right on Via Appia, connected to Rome by COTRAL buses going to Anagnina subway. HOTEL VILLA ARICIA has a bus stop right in front.
GENZANO= right on Via Appia, connected to Rome by COTRAL buses going to Anagnina subway (coming from Rome Genzano comes after Ariccia). HOTEL VILLA ROBINIA has a bus stop right in front.
Avoid ALBANO, really very very very cahotic, it has bad roads, no central hotel...
Should you choose to take a taxi the fare is about 60-70 euros from these towns to Fiumicino (this is what I paid when no one could take me to the airport and I had to use a taxi. I agreed on the fare with the taxi driver the day before, this was last november 2003).
Old May 14th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Battufolino,
Thank you, I booked a room at the Hotel Villa Fiorio in Grottaferrata. It looks very nice. I would appreciate it if you could recommend a good restaurant in Frascati or Grottaferrata for our last dinner though, any ideas?

We have a car so will drive to the airport in the morning.
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:21 PM

Years ago I dined at L'ANTICA MENSA, which is in the centre of town. They have local wines and good food. Try PORCHETTA (spiced roasted pig whose meat is sliced and served as appetizer) and the great RIGATONI ALLA NORCINA or the PENNE SPECK E RUCOLA...yuuuumyyy
I don't remember the address though... you should ask the concierge who will also be able to suggest some other local restaurant.
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:22 PM

oops soory, I forgot: L'antica mensa is in Frascati
Old May 14th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, I love getting recommendations from locals!