Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to spent 6 days in Croatia and hotel recommendation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving to Dubrovnik by overnight ferry from Bari early in the morning in Mid September. We will be flying out of Zagreb (the flight is booked, so can not be changed).

I would like your suggestions on how to best spend 6 full days.
Here are my thoughts:

Day 1 - 3 (Mon-Wed) - Dubrovnik area. One day for Dubrovnik. One day maybe islands around Dubrovnik (?). And one day, I think of renting a car and driving to Kotor (is it worth it?).

Day 4 (Thu) - Drive to Split via Mostar (not sure here). Overnight in Split.

Day 5 (Fri)- Drive to Trogir. Explore Trogir, and then drive to Plitvice area for overnight stay.

Day 6 (Sat) - Plitvice. Overnight in Plitvice (or drive to Zagreb for overnight).

Day 7 (Sun) Drive to Zagreb airport . No sightseeing here.
Please critique.

Also, I would like some inexpensive (but not hostel) hotel recommendations (up to 120 Euro or so). I tried villa Adriatica (it was recommended here), but they don't take short stay reservation.

Thank you!
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 01:42 AM

I think your itinerary is do-able, but maybe a little rushed. 3 days in Dubrovnik is good. Perhaps you can take a 3 island tour to the Elafiti islands on the second day or maybe just take the local ferry to Cavtat and Lokrum island. I think a day trip to Kotor is worth it. It is also possible to drive a bit further and see Budva the same day, which is worth it.

The trip to Split takes about 4 hours, but a detour to Mostar will add another two hours or so to the drive, so it is possible to spend a couple of hours in Mostar and then continue on to Split the same day.

Trogir is very small and you will need only an hour or 2 in the Old Town. Are you going to leave any time to see Split? You only need a couple of hours in the center, so maybe you can do it in the morning before leaving for Trogir and Plitvice.

I'm not sure how long the drive is from Plitvice to Zagreb, but I think it's not more than a couple of hours. Just be sure to leave plenty of time to catch your flight if you don't spend the night Zagreb as there could be traffic.

As for accommodations, you might want to consider private accommodations since you're on a budget. You can find nice places for less than you would pay in a hotel. I would suggest www.dubrovnikapartmentsource.com. It's run by Americans and they have a lot of properties on their website. If you prefer hotels, then there are some 3-star options in Lapad (Dubrovnik) that are not too expensive, but I don't really have any recommendations for Split or Plitvice.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 08:30 AM
kja

> Kotor (is it worth it?)

I thought so, but it depends on what you want to see and experience!

> Drive to Split via Mostar (not sure here). Overnight in Split. ... Day 5 (Fri)- Drive to Trogir. Explore Trogir, and then drive to Plitvice area for overnight stay.

As RayKrebs said, it should be possible to visit Mostar on the way to Split, but will leave you little time to see either. I thought each city deserved at least a day. Trogir can be seen in just a few hours, but if you want to see both Split and Trogir, you might want to consider skipping Mostar on this trip.

> Overnight in Plitvice (or drive to Zagreb for overnight).

If you don't plan on spending any time in Zagreb and are sure you can reach the airport in time for your flight, then staying overnight in Plitvice would seem like a good idea. It will let you explore the park without watching the time.

Enjoy!
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 08:39 AM

I recommend staying two nights in Plitvice, the rest looks fine.
Trogir is tiny, and you'll be able to see much of the Palace area in Split at night, which is nice.
Forget hotels, rent apartments. You can book these in advance as there are many online. Also, you can book them at a tourist office upon arrival in town.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your review and suggestions! As always, this is such a huge help in planning!

I looked at apartments. They all look good and affordable. How do I choose? With hotels, I go to tripadvisor.com and check the reviews. Are there any reviews for apartments? And what is the better place to stay in Dubrovnik? Is it in Old Town? Or somewhere, maybe closer to the beach, and walking distance to the Old Town?
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 07:48 AM

I pick them based on the photographs (balcony with view, check!), and map them when needed.
I have stayed above old town Dubrovnik (up lots of steps, but totally worth it for the view) and inside old town (when only there for one night, on a quiet side street, it was charming). If you have no mobility issues with walking up and down hill/steps, stay up on the hillside above the old town, within walking distance. That way, you get an amazing view of the sea and of old town. Any apartment provider should be willing to provide you with location info.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Yorkshire!
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 06:38 AM

We stayed at Villa Adriatica in Dubrovnik and couldn't have been more pleased. The location was excellent, literally steps from the old town. The views were amazing! It gets good reviews both here and on tripadvisor. http://www.dubrovnik-online.com/villa_adriatica/

We personally liked Trogir much more than Split and were happy that we chose to base ourselves there instead. It is small but has tons of charm.

Good luck!
Tracy
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Tracy, I actually e-mailed to Villa Adriatica. They responded that they don't take reservation for a short stay until June/July (I need 3 nights in or September). I think they are waiting to see if they get booked for a longer stay. How many nights did you stay there?

Thnak you for your opinion on Trogir. I will probably to stay there too.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 01:05 PM

We were only there for three nights but we visited in November, which is off-peak season, and we were the only ones that stayed there so we pretty much had the place to ourselves. Hopefully you will be able to get a reservation!

Tracy
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Tracy! Will see, hopefully. I will try in June. I don't think they are superbusy in mid September.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

I just got back from my amazin two weeks trip to Southern Italy and Croatia. The places are just out of this world! Just wanted to say thank you for all your invaluable advice, that always make my trips a special experience.
And a special 'Thank you!' to Tracy for villa Adriatica recommendation. What a place. So convinient, and so beautiful!
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 02:06 PM
kja

Welcome back! Glad it was a good trip (even if it is hard to imagine a bad trip to that part of the world).
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 04:54 PM

I was in Dubrovnik from September 10-14. I chose Apartment Placa because of the Old Town location. It was located right on Gundulic Square. You just couldn't get a better location, but the bathroom had a sewer odor and upon arrival, the owner informed us that wifi was not operating. That was a major requirement for us due to my son's work. Tonci, the owner picked us up at the airport at almost midnight due to our flight from Zurich to Dubrovnik being cancelled. He was so nice and the apartment was perfect other than the bathroom problem. Dubrovnik was beautiful!
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Kja!

Of course, I did not mention that our rental car died in the middle of no where, on the way from Plitvice Lakes to Zagreb airport 3 hours before the flight! It was 10C, and a terrible rain, and we had no phone Oh well, it seemed like a heart stopping situation at that time, but now it is a good story to tell... Other than that - the places are Amazing, amazing, amazing!