COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travel the coast of Turkey by land or sea?

Old Dec 18th, 2017, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I plan to travel along the west coast of Turkey in September 2018 and visit the historical sights and towns along the way. We expect to spend 10 to 14 days. We thought we might start our journey in possibly Bodrum or another port as we will be coming from one of the Greek islands (not sure which one yet). I would like some advice on what the best way to do this would be. We prefer not to drive. Do we travel overland by bus or are the any boat trips we can take that will also take in the sights? We have been to Istanbul a few times and don't mind if we don't go there even though we love it.
Thanks any advice would be welcomed.
Marea
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 01:08 AM

There are a number of cruise companies who offer boat trips along the various Turkish coastal areas, including Bodrum. I found this one:

https://www.salamandervoyages.com

but this is not a recommendation. I don't know of this company personally and you may find better options by googling something like "Gulet hoildays Turkey". At least it's a starting point!
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 01:54 AM

There are no regular ferries along the Turkish coast (only gullet cruises or excursion boats), except Bodrum - Datca.
There are regular catamarans between Rhodos - Symi - Kos - Kalymnos - Leros - Lipsos - Patmos - Samos and ferries between Samos - Chios - Lesbos - Lemnos - Kavala, however.
There are local ferries (daily in high season) between
Bodrum and Kos, Turgutreis and Kos, Kusadasi and Samos, Cesme and Chios, Ayvalik or Dikeli and Lesbos.

It's easy to combine all kinds of Eastern Aegean (Greek) Islands and historical sites in mainland Turkey.

If you don't want to cross the border, there are plenty of buses all along the Turkish coast.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 01:08 AM

I recommend buying an Aegean Museum Pass at some stage. It costs 75TL and lasts 7 days.

Just visiting Bodrum Castle (30TL), Ephesus (40TL) and Ephesus Terrace Houses (20TL) would make it a bargain.

Obtainable at these sites:
https://www.muze.gov.tr/en/cards-and...-sales_89.html
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Rubicund, Neckervd & Croesus for your replies they are all very helpful. With the gullet tours do they take you to sites such as Ephesus or leave you at the port and then you have to find your own way
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 02:48 AM

Gulets are very small boats, not like a cruise liner with arranged excursions. Most captains will however arrange for a car to take you wherever you want to go, but check cost first.
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 07:46 AM

Gullet tours are almost always for sun, sea, nature and only the sites that can be accessed from the boat like possibly Knidos, Kekova, Phaeselis and maybe a few others.

I know that you do not wish to drive, but taking a gulet from Bodrum to Fethiye and then driving from Fethiye to Antalya or back to Fethiye can be very rewarding.

You will be able to visit at least, Tlos, Pinara, Xanthos, Letoon, Patara, Myra, Arycanda, Olympus, Phaeselis.

Driving is not difficult in Turkey (not as in Istanbul). The roads are good, directions are satisfactory, GPS works and some of the inland sites have a different type of mystique.

Also, if you have time, taking side roads to follow brown sign boards to discover smaller sites not mentioned in your guide book can be interesting.

A similar but longer driving route between Antalya and Mersin will give you some less well known and publicized but again very interesting sites along the shore and inland.

I recommend Jonn Freely's "The Mediterranean Coast" ; not very new but has not yet been surpassed.

The bus will take you between towns and villages but not to the archeological sites which may be anywhere from one to ten or more miles from a population center served by regular buses. And in many cases those small towns will not have local taxi cabs.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you otherchelebi your suggestions are very helpful. Now I will have to do some more research.
Marea56
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 01:38 AM

"Driving is not difficult in Turkey (not as in Istanbul). The roads are good, directions are satisfactory, GPS works and some of the inland sites have a different type of mystique"

.....but not necessary between Fethiye and Antalya as there are tons of buses and minibuses (even to places not along the main road, lime Adrasan, Olympos, Cirali....).