Travel/Stay in Greece- Suggestions??

Nov 3rd, 2008, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Travel/Stay in Greece- Suggestions??

Hi,

I'm planning my Honeymoon to Greece from 26th of November to 3rd of December 2008. My first 4 nights would be in Athens and the following three nights in Santorini.
My Plan for Athens:
I have decided to put up in any Hotel in the Plaka area. What my agents suggest to me is the Airotel Group hotel called "PARTHENON".
If any of you have stayed here... what are your comments....?? Should I should I not... suggest better options if any....??!! After seeing the Acropolis, the National Archaeological Museum, The Temple of Olympian Zeus, Ancient Agora, Roman Agora.... I would like to travel to Peloponnese to visit Nafplio for a day. I would like to come back to my hotel that very day. Question:
Best and a relatively cheaper way of traveling from Plaka to Nafplio? Is a day justified for Nafplio? Where all to go in Nafplio..?
I'm planning on taking a fast ferry(5.5 hours) to Santorini. Is that ok or flying will be a better option???
My agent has suggested Hotel Porto Fira for us. Comments... suggestions if any....??? any resturants that SHOULD be visited when in Santorini...??? Please bear in mind that the suggestion should have a resturant serving all year round....!!(Just a humble reminder...)
Also please advise on how much should one carry(barring hotel/accomodation) as per day allowance..... also on the kind of clothes for the winter... any other suggestions over and above the ones sort for, a welcome...!!!
Thanks..
Amrita
Nov 3rd, 2008, 10:51 AM

I doubt there will be a fast ferry running at end of Nov - beginning of Dec. Your choices will most likely be Blue Star Ithaki (0725-1500) or flying (approx 50 minutes).
Nov 3rd, 2008, 11:00 AM

I liked the Electra Palace in the Plaka--wonderful location. Since I stayed there it has been completely rennovated and doubled in size.

I liked it because it was not very large and for the roof-top bar with stunning views of the Acropolis. So, it might be worth researching but it has changed since I was there in '99.

Can't give you advice on Nafplio but there was enough in Athens to keep me interested for four days.

I would fly to Santorini.
Nov 3rd, 2008, 11:13 AM

We love Naphlion. It has lots to see but it is all in a relatively small area. There is a bus tour but a car rental from the airport gives you maximum flexibility.
Many Athenians spend the weekend in Naphlion so where the locals go is always a sign that the destination is worthwhile.
Nov 3rd, 2008, 06:01 PM

Nafplio is not a day trip from Athens. You would not have enough time to see anything. If you have read a guide book(no mater which one) you would know that there are many ancient sites to see in that area. Are you sure Santorini is a good place to visit that time of year? I would spend the time in the Nafplio area. If you do go to Santorini, take a plane there and back. Have a good trip--just do a little researach before you go.
Nov 3rd, 2008, 07:03 PM

I'm afraid I disagree with NameTaken though I love the screen name! ;^)

In May a friend and I left Athens in a rented car about 8:30 in the morning and drove to Mycenae where we had a wonderful visit. We then went to Tiryns and had the place to ourselves.

After a waterfront lunch in Nafplio
we drove to Epidaurus then up to Corinth via the coast road. We were back in Athens around 6:30 pm.

Yes, it was a bit quick but we had to be back in Athens that night to meet a friend and I don't think we shortchanged ourselves. It was a wonderful day.

So Amrita... don't be afraid to go for it!

The hotel we stayed at in Athens was the Amazon... half way between Syntagma and the Plaka on Mitropoleos Street. Room 216 has a great Acropolis view, prices are good, the place was spotless and the staff great to deal with.

Rob
Nov 18th, 2008, 11:58 AM

I would agree we did a day trip to ancient Corinth, Mycenea, Nafplio and it was fine. We used George the Taxi driver service and that saved time as we didn't have to navigate, find parking, etc. Santorini was wonderful but we were there in late Sept so not sure what the weather will be like in Dec. We stayed at Mystique which was amazing! Lot's of honeymooners. Some great restaurants that we found in Oia were Papagalos, The Red Bicycle, and Ambrosia. Have fun!
Nov 18th, 2008, 12:09 PM

Fly to Santorini---I would spend 4 nites there.
Nov 18th, 2008, 12:57 PM

A co-worker of mine stayed at the hotel "Parthenon" in Athens and thought it was great. She was there in Oct. 2008. I had suggested a # of hotels, not the Parthenon as I had not heard of it. The first I suggested was the Amazon Hotel but it was not from experience but the website. I had always stayed in Hotel Athos which I feel has gone down hill over the years in quality while the price has gone up. I also suggested they look at Fresh Hotel; Art Hotel and Athens Gate. I believe they picked Parthenon mostly based on the reviews from trip advisor.
Nafplio can be visited in one day although I think it would be hectic to not do an overnight. I stayed twice in Hotel Byron in Nafplio. Just enjoy the fort and the main square for one day. There is a walk around the point but it would be better to stay in the old town port and enjoy the waterfront and the streets around the square.
I have not been in Greece in Nov. but I think you may want to check out a flight to Santorini as fast ferries may not be available. As far as a restaurant in Thira, I would suggest Selene. It has a great location on the cliff side, left at the top of the main street that climbs up from the main sq. It was recommended in a magazine I read and it was very good and probably open all year around but expensive. http://www.selene.gr/school.html
an inexpensive choice that is probably open all year is the 3 Brothers Rest. off on a street to the right of the main street on the right, half way up to the cliff. The menu is on a black board, it has line ups in season and it has great home cooked Greek food.