Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Travel sleepwear (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/travel-sleepwear-334203/)

allisonm Mar 31st, 2008 01:20 PM

Travel sleepwear

As I was folding up my old, soft flannel pajamas for our trip later this week, I started wondering what other people wear to bed when away from home.

What do you sleep in when you travel?

adeben Mar 31st, 2008 02:02 PM

Whatever the fashionistas in Paris and Rome are currently decreeing as appropriate nightwear, lest I feel like a tourist if I have to leave my hotel unexpectedly in the middle of the night.

Ronda Mar 31st, 2008 02:15 PM

In that case don't forget your high heel slippers trimmed in fur! lol

I usually take a big nightshirt that can double as a swimsuit cover up if the need arises.

Christina Mar 31st, 2008 02:17 PM

the same thing as at home -- so it varies, depending on time of year and weather.

palette Mar 31st, 2008 02:25 PM

The longest t-shirt I own. One year we did have the fire alarm go off at the hotel, and I just grabbed my raincoat - I wasn't wasting packing space for a bathrobe. Mind you I travel with female friends so French nighties would be a waste on many levels.

Carrybean Mar 31st, 2008 02:37 PM

I have some really garish Nick & Nora PJ's I wear when I travel.

melissa19 Mar 31st, 2008 03:14 PM

Silk pjs pack very nicely... though i wear them at home as well.

Barbara_in_CT Mar 31st, 2008 03:19 PM

I wear a Karen Neuberger nightshirt. It is cool when it needs to be and warm when necessary. Definitely not revealing in case of a fire drill. Packs more compactly than my favorite PJ's.

FainaAgain Mar 31st, 2008 03:48 PM

Whatever has the least weight and volume while drying fast (after laundry that is, not after an accident :)) )

bettyk Mar 31st, 2008 03:48 PM

Usually a large tshirt. If the room is chilly, then I'll put on my silk long underwear bottoms.

lennyba Mar 31st, 2008 03:52 PM

Same as at home, unless we're staying in someone's house - nekkid. Lightweight, easy to clean, and takes up no space in the carryone.

cafegoddess Mar 31st, 2008 03:56 PM

White t-shirts from M&S. The softest t-shirt in the world.

suze Mar 31st, 2008 04:22 PM

t-shirt with light cotton pants of some kind or t-shirt under a silk bathrobe.

i would never sleep naked in a strange hotel in case of emergency in the night.

nytraveler Mar 31st, 2008 04:32 PM

I bring an oversized tee shirt (most of the way to the knees) so I have something to wear when breakfast is delivered. Beau bring PJ bottoms for the same reason.

Or if it's a special romantic sort of trip I'll bring a couple of pretty nighties.

Padraig Mar 31st, 2008 04:40 PM

I knew that I shouldn't have clicked on this thread!

bozama Mar 31st, 2008 04:51 PM

Although I love my flannels, they never travel with me, not even on a ski holiday,, too bulky.
Tshirt and capri lenth pj bottoms. Lightweight , and should be able to squish down to nothing.

whoknew Mar 31st, 2008 05:21 PM

suze-but the real question is...are you OK with sleeping naked in familiar hotel rooms? Hee...

I have soft cotton pajamas that are very lightweight and pack well.

My ex used to generate a lot of body heat so I was always warm. Now I just ask for extra blankets.

lennyba Mar 31st, 2008 05:24 PM

If there was an emergency in a strange (or familiar) hotel room in the middle of the night, I'd do the same thing I'd do if there were an emergency at home in the middle of the night - throw on the robe at the end of the bed. The question was "what do you sleep in"?

gomiki Mar 31st, 2008 05:32 PM

Well worn flannel boxer shorts and a short V-neck T-shirt (just below waist length) from Victoria's Secret. No matter what time of year.

tzarinna Mar 31st, 2008 05:45 PM

I have nice pj's and I have my roughin it pj's. I tend to carry my nice ones, 'cause I'm on holiday and they make me feel good. :p