Travel questions for Spain trip.

Apr 14th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

Travel questions for Spain trip.

HI all, I've been having fun reading lots of posts on the Fodor's website and so I decided I had best ask the experts! I'll be going to Javea on vacation for 2 weeks at the end of June. I'll be flying from Ohio to London where my girlfriend lives. Then we'll be taking another plane from London to Alicante and renting a car there for 2 weeks and staying in a rented villa with her family. Her dad is renting the villa and splitting the cost individually. My girlfriend is renting a car and I'll be driving it. I'll be getting a IDP just in case. This is my first trip to Spain, and I've never rented a car before. Can anyone make some suggestions as far as good places to rent online, auto insurance, travel insurance for myself or both she and I, or anything else I'm probably forgetting! Oh, and does anyone know what the tolls roads cost between Alicante and Javea? We're trying to save our pennies and pounds and I was looking at the cheap routes from the airport to Javea. I know it's a tall order, but I like to be prepared and what better to learn than to ask the learned! Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it!!
Apr 14th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and as a side note, it'll be 2 weeks of shooting the breeze, so I'd love sight-seeing suggestions if anyone's so inclined! Thanks again!
Apr 15th, 2007, 01:12 AM

Hi,

I will leave the renting recommendations to the experts, but I would recommend you to rethink the "saving the pennies" mindset regarding the toll roads.

If you check in viamichelin.com , you will see that the toll price is only 5,25 from Alicante to Jávea. We are talking a heavy travelled route here, so I think that it will be better to get the motorway on your arrival. You will have time to travel around during those two weeks.

And a site to give you some ideas : http://xabia.org/

Rgds, Cova
Apr 15th, 2007, 01:42 AM

sights to see.

guadalest, not far from benidorm

the montiboli hotel in villajoyosa. www.montiboli.com

at least stop for a drink, or eat at beach restaurant at tennis hotel next door (south) that has b-b-q area on beach

take the route from denia to javea along the coast/mountain. go to the lighthouse for photo ops.

you must come up to valencia for a full day of americas cup and old town.
plan to come early, go home late.

for regatta schedule see www.americascup.com
Apr 15th, 2007, 03:58 AM

if you search the threads on ira recently she did a great explanation of contractural issues on euro car hire.

It was called something like "can you explain ...ira?"
Apr 15th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies! I'm looking for that post from ira on the car rentals currently, and can't wait to find places to see! My dad does seascape watercolours so boats and lighthouses will be great trips! Oh, and the tolls, I hadn't been able to find where to find what the tolls cost, but thats not bad at all as tolls go.