travel on easyjet

May 18th, 2019, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

travel on easyjet

Our travel plans require us to take easyjet from Paris to Sicily in late September. Does anyone have experience with this carrier, and particularly with their seat booking and baggage policy. The customer service system is awful. We ordinarily travel with European-size roll-ons (56x45x25 cm) and a backpack or small duffle each. Is this likely to require buying baggage allotments? I am also struggling to book seats online. Do I need to wait until closer to our departure date? Your input is appreciated.
May 18th, 2019, 10:28 AM

You can take one small bag on board. You will have to pay for the other one.
Their site tells you all you need to know under Help.
May 18th, 2019, 10:35 AM

>>Does anyone have experience with this carrier,<<

Yes -- it is a very large, very well known airline. They carry nearly 90 million passengers a year. Most anyone who ever flies around Europe will have flown them multiple times

>> . . . and particularly with their seat booking and baggage policy. <<

Everything you need to know is spelled out on the website -- and they are strict in following the rules.
May 18th, 2019, 12:01 PM

ok, like JJ says anyone who travels frequently in Europe will have flown with them multiple times - that more or less describes me. In the last year I've taken 5 trips using Easyjet and I'm about to take another.

The size you have given for the luggage conforms with the easy jet cabin luggage limits but if you want to bring the backpacks on board as well, you'll have to pay for "speedy boarding". This gives you a choice of seat and the "right" to bring 2 pieces of luggage on board - one piece of luggage and one piece of "hand luggage" - which has to fit within the special measure which is at check in. if the flight is very busy they may well try to get you to put your larger piece in the hold anyway - I was on a flight recently where they were literally waylaying people as they got on the plane to get them to put luggage in the hold.

The alternative is to forget about speedy boarding and just pay to put the larger pieces in the hold anyway. Then you have to put up with where they seat you which may mean you are not together but Paris to Sicily is not a long flight and it probably doesn't matter much.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any Qs,
May 18th, 2019, 12:03 PM

Yes, we fly them 6-8 times a year (for the past 4 years or so). I have no problem with them. You get one small bag as per their website, plus a purse or handbag, and yes, they are strict about their rules. I have never had a problem with their customer service. If your luggage exceeds their requirements you must check it for about 40 euros per small bag. And yes, once the plane's luggage space is filled up they will ask you to set your bags aside, tag them and pace them in the hold (at no extra cost).

Not sure what you are struggling with, but it's always been a very easy, straightforward process for us.

Last edited by StCirq; May 18th, 2019 at 12:09 PM.
May 18th, 2019, 12:06 PM

I’ve only flown Easyjet once, Berlin to Paris return, they’re very stringent on any in compartment bags and we were able to book our seats online for extra cost once the ticket purchases were complete. Be sure to have a copy of your boarding pass, in Berlin there was no one at the check-in and I had left the printed tickets at home in the US, luckily I did have the email on my phone. The flight(s) were fine, and quite inexpensive.
May 18th, 2019, 12:08 PM

We have flown them many times, including Copenhagen to Venice two weeks ago. We have always been pleased with them. They DO require that you put your "persona;" bag in your one allowed luggage. We have sometimes seen people get away with purses, small backpacks and small purchases as a second item. But we have also seen them insist that you put everything in your on allowed suitcase. Since weights don't matter, we stuffed our personal stuff inside our suitcase to avoid any issues.
May 19th, 2019, 12:46 AM

I'm another easyJet fan. I've never had any issues with them.....but I always play the game, and keep to our contract with them....ie. fully comply with their T&Cs.
May 19th, 2019, 01:03 AM

Agree about putting the one personal item in the cabin baggage - once when we went EasyJet from Luton or Stansted we were only allowed the one item, which meant putting my handbag in a carry-on. It has the potential to be a pain in the neck if you don't have the space. Having said that, the flight was great and I trust the airline just fine.

Lavandula
May 19th, 2019, 03:52 AM

EasyJet, IMO, is much better than its competitor with the loudmouthed CEO. Having not used it for several years, last summer had return flights from London Gatwick to Olbia, Sardinia. I was completely satisfied. I always travel with one piece of checked luggage and a small carry-on that tucks under the seat in front of me. Despite having booked the flights separately, I was even able to reserve seats in the same row as my daughter and SIL who were on the same flights as me.
May 19th, 2019, 04:06 AM

On any Sicily flight you will find Sicilians who don't want to obey the rules, be prepared for a lot of noise and fuss as they are made to conform.
May 19th, 2019, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
EasyJet, IMO, is much better than its competitor with the loudmouthed CEO. Having not used it for several years, last summer had return flights from London Gatwick to Olbia, Sardinia. I was completely satisfied. I always travel with one piece of checked luggage and a small carry-on that tucks under the seat in front of me. Despite having booked the flights separately, I was even able to reserve seats in the same row as my daughter and SIL who were on the same flights as me.
Just done that myself. But obviously you can only do it if the seats you want aren't already Reserved. So simultaneous bookings are the key.
May 19th, 2019, 06:38 AM

Just done that myself. But obviously you can only do it if the seats you want aren't already Reserved. So simultaneous bookings are the key.
Yes, I was lucky that they weren't.
May 19th, 2019, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by bilboburgler View Post
On any Sicily flight you will find Sicilians who don't want to obey the rules, be prepared for a lot of noise and fuss as they are made to conform.
Like the Brit crowd here, I use them lots.

Two weeks ago we went to Copenhagen and paid 38 return from Liverpool. Last week I went to Bordeaux and paid 32 pound plus 45 for my bike each way. Compare this to a return train ticket from Preston to Bristol for tomorrow for which I refuse to pay 119.00.

I have absolutely never had a problem with EasyJet and never had a problem with Liverpool airport. Wish I could the same for Manchester airport which we now avoid like the plague.

Yesterday I arrived at Liverpool, it was 8 minutes between the steps off the plane to starting my car.

Cabin bags : if the flight isn’t full they frequentky don’t really check what you have got.

If it is busy you will be put under scrutiny. One way round the number of bags issue is to take a bin bag and put say three smaller bags inside. If the total size comes to less than the limit, they don’t surcharge. Just dump the bin bag once you board, sorry I know not great for the environment.

Bilbo

We had a laugh last August (Manchester to Palermo), a Sicilian couple with two small kids were first in line to board at the gate. They had raided tbe Trafford Centre and had 12 bags, the EasyJet lady thought Christmas had come early a went to war with them. Bit like The Godfather crossed with Fawlty Towers. They were screaming at the kids, each other, the attendants and the rest of the passengers. They packed, repacked, redressed the kids who looked like Michelin men. Stuffed things down their own clothes and got it down to 5 bags. Kids were crying and was everyone else. They left a pile of crappy, plastic toys in a heap and just boarded.

Last edited by BritishCaicos; May 19th, 2019 at 11:23 AM.
May 19th, 2019, 11:29 AM

Sorry Ann, I could never pay for “Speedy Boarding”.

That would mean that I might actually have to say the phrase
, which deserves to go in room 101.

I’ve seen to many scousers with their chests proudly out, spouting that term.
May 19th, 2019, 12:08 PM

Last time we flew Easy Jet from Bordeaux to Morocco (21 euros - it's such a steal!) there was a lady who tried to get through Security with a small rollaboard and a jam-packed duffel bag. No way she was getting on board with those. It was too late, I guess, to pay the extra - we were at the door to the runway. Well, she went absolutely ballistic, tried every which way to unpack the duffel and cram stuff into the rollaboard, but no way it was going to happen. She lit into several EasyJet personnel with an uncommon fury, all of it met with a firm sorry, but you just can't board with two bags. As we were heading out the door to the plane she was on her hands and knees on the airport floor, arms flailing wildly, screaming and weeping...It was plenty evident when we landed in Essaouira that she hadn't gotten on our plane.

You gotta follow the rules.
May 19th, 2019, 12:17 PM

StCirq

what do they do at the gate?

if you have two bags which exceed the size, there’s no facility to charge at the gate. Is it a straight choice either dump a bag or don’t fly?
May 19th, 2019, 12:59 PM

Yup. There is no way, once at the gate (at least in Bordeaux) to make any changes. It can be somewhat capricious, though, I do admit. We flew Bordeaux to Milan a couple of years ago and I had to stuff my purse into my carryon. My husband was carrying a second bag that was smaller than my purse and he was allowed to keep it over his shoulder. But once you're at the gate there's no way to add and pay for an extra bag.
May 19th, 2019, 01:11 PM

Another vote for EasyJet. Well run airline in my experience. Absolutely no problem flying with them. None.

With many EasyJet flights taken, I only had one problem and that was not the fault of the airline. They handled it very well and put us up in a hotel until the flight could be rescheduled the next day. Clear communications about how eating, transport back to the airport, etc. would be handled. It was very fairly handled - OK we were put up in a budget hotel but it's a budget airline.

The only thing that I don't like is the often long queues for bag drops. Generally i have no preference for BA, for example, but it's a much faster process due to the better real estate that they possess at LHR vs EasyJet's realm at Gatwick. Not a big deal because EasyJet staff are generally good and will manage the queue appropriately to get people through according to flight time priorities if needed.

Without overplaying it, I think it's a joy to use a business that does things right. So many dinosaur businesses in the UK that live off of the past. Great to see a business that hustles and is set up to give customers what they want.
May 19th, 2019, 01:25 PM

Sorry Ann, I could never pay for “Speedy Boarding”.>>

I used to think that but now i am [almost] in my dotage, I like to sit towards the front of the plane and choosing my seat there gets me speedy boarding, which I have quite come to like. I get a seat in the lounge at the gate, get a seat on the coach to the plane, get on the plane first, and am able to carry on two bags. I don't even have to queue for the bag drop. It makes flying almost civilised.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO