Travel Notes from Paris/Italy trip

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Notes from Paris/Italy trip

As i gained so much valuable information from this site for our 4 week trip, thought I would give our views on the hotels and places that we visited on our trip.

Paris - 5 days : Stayed at Hotel Jean D'Arc - This hotel is fantastic for the price 78 euro we had a room on the 5th floor which was a corner room. Didn't bother with breakfast choosing instead to get a cafe and croissant on the street which worked out cheaper. The subway was a 5 minute walk away. Bastille (5 minute walk away) was a great place to go for dinner, lots of different restaurants and a good place to watch the world go by. They were more then happy to hold on to our bags after we checked out till 10pm as we were catching an overnight train to Milan.

If you are looking for something a bit different to do whilst in Paris I would highly reccommend Mike's Bike Tours. They have a day and a night tour (we did both) that gives you a very interesting and fun tour of all the major sites around town and some very interesting history with great tips on when to go to specific sites and the best things to see. We found it gave us a really good base to then explore Paris ourselves for the next 4 days. You do not have to be a fitness fanatic to keep up the pace and there were no hills to climb which was excellent. Their website has more info.

Climbed the concorde building instead of the Eiffel tower as there is no waiting for 2 hours, it is much higher, is open late and you can then get a picture of the Eifel tower in your paris city photo!

Notre Dame was favourite site, but underground crypt is not worth the entrance fee, just shows some rubble that has been excavated. Tower is worth a climb though to see the bells and view.

Napoleans tomb was very interesting and if you want to see his trusty horse and dog, they are stuffed in the war museum which is included in the price of the ticket to enter the tomb at Invalides.

Wonderful place for a picnic lunch is in the gardens of the Rodin museum, all the major sculptures such as the Thinker are in the gardens and entry is free. So grab a baguette and enjoy! Don't really think entry into his house is worth it unless your a huge sculpture buff.

If you are going to Versailles get an all inclusive ticket do the hall of mirrors side first, and then seeing you already have a ticket you don't have to line up when going to Louis chambers. These are the only two I would do. Make sure you go when the fountains are on it makes the whole visit worthwhile, and don't forget to walk through the forrest as there are 20 or so magnificent fountains placed throughout the woods. With the Classical music you feel like you are in a 16th century movie.

Buy your tickets for the Louvre from Virgin record shop on Champs de Ellese, no waiting and you can then walk straight in. We bought the ticket valid after 3 which was cheaper but still gave us enough time to look around.

Please excuse any spelling errors I am trying to do this whilst at work so no time for spell check.

Will continue soon with more from Italy..
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 05:47 AM
ira

Hi Lesa,

Thanks for sharing. Let's hear more.

Do they still have the various versions of "Homage to Balzac" at the museum?
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 03:05 PM
blh

Thanks for the trip report - am interested in hearing more. Do you have a website for the Hotel Jean D'Arc? Thanks!
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Couldn't find a dedicated web site for Jean d'Arc, but you can see pictures of the rooms through Euro Cheapo websites. Will continue with Italian sprawl shortly, am not sure about homage to Balzac sorry. If you do a search on them on this site you will find lots of positive feedback.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 06:43 AM

http://www.hotel-jeanne-darc.com/
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 06:44 AM

well I thought that was too easy. The above link is to a DIFFERENT hotel jeanne d'arc.