Travel Newbie to PARIS

Search

Travel Newbie to PARIS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2019, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Newbie to PARIS

Hello and thanks. for your help.. My wife and I are finally retired and able to travel... She would love Paris... so for our anniversary we're going..

I could use some help: I know there is a difference between Budget and Value and so I think a family run hotel in Paris, not too far for us to walk, near downtown would be best. We like light breakfast in the AM and we could use Public transportation.. charm, warmth, attention to detail pleases us... Any suggestions..???? Oh yes we want to go in September 2019
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 10:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Give us an actual number -- what is your budget per night?
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 10:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
"Downtown" is almost all of Paris, except perhaps Montmartre or the Eiffel Tower area in terms of major tourist sights. "Family run hotel" is pretty much an old fashioned illusion, but a small hotel is probably close enough to what you are looking for.

Breakfast is almost never included in small hotels. You must pay extra. The best thing to do is to try the hotel breakfast the first day and see how much it costs and then compare it to the cafés near the hotel (all of the breakfast and meal prices are listed outside of every establishment -- it's the law). The cafés win most of the time (but not always).

Since I live in Paris, I can't really help on the appropriate hotel, but unlike most of the advice that you will receive, I would suggest that you stay out of the dead center (arrondissements1-8) except for some of their outer fringes. Place de la République is a good area, for example -- walking distance to lots of places and superb metro and bus connections to go elsewhere.
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 10:52 AM

"Downtown" is a bit of a misnomer. Any hotel in the center of Paris should let you walk easily to major attractions. Begin by looking at a map of Paris. Judge walking distance by seeing how far the hotel is from the Jardin des Tuilleries... and look for nearby Metro stations to the hotel, which gives you access to public transportation.

What's your budget for hotels? We can make recommendations if we know your per-night price point.
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 10:53 AM

We also know there is a difference between budget and value, but it would be necessary to know what your budget is, in Euros, in order to make any specific recommendations. It would also be helpful to know your other requirements for a hotel; location, ambiance, etc.
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 10:54 AM

"budget" and "value" are subjective descriptions. How many euros do you want to spend per night for a hotel?

"Near downtown" is a bit baffling, because Paris doesn't really have a "downtown," though most 1st-time visitors would probably think of the 4th, 5th, and 6th arrondissements - close to the Seine - as "downtown."

Your best bet for a light breakfast is to head to the nearest café and have a croissant or pain au chocolat or tartine and a coffee or tea. Hotel breakfasts can be skimpy and expensive.
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 11:17 AM

>>> I know there is a difference between Budget and Value and so I think a family run hotel in Paris
These are the proxies for something else tangible. It is more productive to ignore these labels and look for what matters.

>>> not too far for us to walk
This depends on where you are going to.

>>> We like light breakfast in the AM
What is your definition of a “light breakfast?” If you are looking for English/American/Irish meat and egg breakfast, you will have to find a hotel catering to international clienteles. If you are coming to Paris to experience Paris, eat bread and drink coffee at numerous local cafes catering to the locals. Even if you have to go to a touristy café, it is usually cheaper and better than what they serve at a hotel, especially the value and budget kind.

>>> charm, warmth, attention to detail pleases us
These are usually associated with boutique hotels. People use budget or value hotels when the low cost acceptable room is the only thing they are looking for. If an elevator or an a/c is essential, pay attention to what are offered. They don’t come automatically especially in the budget/value category.
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about Hotel Regina? Right across from the Louvre. You can have tartines and cafe at Cafe Nemours.

Thin👳*♀️
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 01:02 PM

We enjoy the 5th & 6th Arrondissements, so suggest Hotel Jardin du Luxembourg or Hotel Atlantis St. Germain des Pres. As first timers, one of the most fun things to do cheaply to get an overview is to take Paris Bus #42 or #69 (see maps online or check website Paris Perfect) from one end to the other. While the Metro and your feet are more efficient modes of transportation, the bus is great for first-timers who want to see it all; you then get some idea what's where to explore on your own. In September the weather should be quite lovely. Also recommend the short Seine boat cruises (without dinner) which run for about an hour or two at night, perfect after-dinner activity. Believe you pick them up at Pont Neuf and are very reasonable. Let's see what you think of above hotel recommendations and we can follow up from there with more suggestions. By all means stay in a hotel at least in the 1st to 8th arrondissements, this is not the time to troop in from further Metro stops and points away from "downtown" as you put it.
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your help. if Airfair is about 900 USD ea, that leaves about 150 per night plus taxes... and of course this is just an estimate from someone without much knowledge... so if I have to up my budget this makes sense too!
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 03:43 PM

Yes about double that 150 per night if you eat in restaurants - pay for museum entries - sidewalk cafes at about $4-5 a pop, Guess book your hotel and see how much is left for food, sightseeing, Seine cruises, etc.
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 05:26 PM

I second Kerouac's suggestion of staying around Place de la Republique. It is served by five Metro lines which can speed up your movement to places you want to visit. Mighty lively, too, with the Canal St-Martin for strolling.
For planning daily commutes, the official public transit website -- for Metro, RER sububrban trains, buses and streetcars -- has an interactive guide. https://www.ratp.fr/en
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 05:48 PM

There are two places I can think of that you may like, although they are slightly over $150/ night.

Friends loved the Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais in the Marais. Rates look like they’re around 180€/night - which at today’s exchange is around $207. There’s only one room left on the dates I looked. https://www.carondebeaumarchais.com/index-en.html

Second place, where we stayed a while ago, is the Hotel St Paul on the rue Monsieur Le Prince, not far from the Luxembourg gardens. Rates there are around 199€/ night.
https://www.hotelsaintpaulparis.com/index_en.php
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 05:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>if Airfair is about 900 USD ea, that leaves about 150 per night plus taxes... <<

Your post is not clear. It sounds like you mean you have $150 total for everything else? Food, accommodations, transportation, admissions, etc . . . for TWO people? Is that right?

If so, $150 equals approx €130 and that is not enough. For example just your admission to the Louvre will cost about $25. A casual sit down lunch about the same

(don't worry about taxes -- VAT is included in all the prices - they do not add it on top like the do in the States)

OR . . . did you mean you have $150/€130 per person?? That would be MUCH different.

(We know you are brand new so can't post again until tomorrow -- not to worry, just read all the responses and come back then with some clarification)
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 12:11 AM

Unfortunately, I am not sure of your hotel budget. September is high season in Paris and hotel prices will be near their top. Here is what you should expect in a very general sense.

Basic hotels - low end for two people during September per night - 90€ to 150€. Expect essentials, bed/bath nothing much more. Mid-range might be 150€ to 250€. Expect a bit of charm, some amenities, and much more pleasant surroundings.

What to expect for restaurants? Tourist class restaurants (those with extensive use of microwaves) serve 3 course dinners around 25€ to 39€ per person. Restaurants with skilled kitchens will charge 40€ plus for a 3 course dinner per person, drinks extra.

Lunches can be a bargain with a great choice of restaurants serving a plat du jour, a glass of wine, and sometimes coffee for about 15€.

If you are on a tight budget, skip the hotel breakfast (typically 15€+) and visit a nearby café where coffee (café allongé if you prefer American style coffee) and croissant wil cost no more than 3€ to 4€.