Wengen Day Trips

Search

Wengen Day Trips

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wengen Day Trips

During our stay in Wengen we'll have 2 non hiking days for day trips. I know there are many towns we can visit but I was hoping to hear of some people's favorites to help narrow it down for us. We'll also have the swiss pass so being able to use that would be a plus.
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 03:49 PM

The open air museum at Ballenberg is lovely.
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 04:21 PM

Of course, Ballenberg is in Brienz, a lovely town of wooden chalets climbing the hillside above Lake Brienz (also great for a cruise).
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 04:50 PM

Thun is also a charming town reachable by lake steamer. It has double level shops and a great castle (as long as you don;t ind stair - it's very vertical).

Lucern is one of my favorite places - with old town walls, wooden bridge, Lion Monument a couple of good museums and a ton of great restaurants.
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 08:10 AM

One of my favourites is the cruise on Lake Thun. Hop on/off at one or two of the castles or other nice places (Spiez, Oberhofen, Merligen with the super nice terrace of the 5star hotel by the lake ...)

Thun or Bern. With the Swiss Pass, when fare is no concern, even Solothurn, Fribourg or Lucerne are options. Or Montreux-Vevey with castle Chillon - but you need to have an early start for this.
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I definitely think we'll go to Thun. If we have time, we're going to try to go to the Ballenberg museum, sounds incredible. We are already going to Montreux, before Wengen, so we'll have that covered.

I was curious about if Bern is worth it. It's a little farther away so I assume that would be an entire day trip.
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 09:10 AM

Bern is definitely worth it, you may like to keep it in reserve if you are unlucky and have a wet day.
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 01:05 PM

Lake Thun (Oberhofen castle, Beatus caves), Lake Brienz (Giessbach Falls, Brienzer Rothorn), Gelmerbahn, Post bus ride over the famous 3 alpine passes Grimsel - Furka - Susten, round trip Meiringen - Engstlenalp - Jochpass - Trubsee (- Titlis) - Engelberg - Hergiswil - Bruenig - Meiringen.....
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 01:06 PM

I love Bern. Click on my name for last October's TR to Bern.Definitely an excellent choice for a rainy day.