Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance? all have terrible reviews.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for someone who has had to actually file a claim and it all went smoothly. From what ive read on all the top companies is they all deny basiclly everything. I'm just worried about my cameras and ipad getting stolen.

Any suggestions on which to go with?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:10 PM

Electronics are often excluded. Or, if covered, there's a limit. You have to read the certificate before selecting a policy to make sure it covers your specific needs.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

ah, shoot. Any suggestions on a policy and company that would cover me?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:26 PM

Hi krashx6,
Do the companies you read about actually deny the claims or do they just not cover certain items? That's an important difference.

Check out this site http://www.insuremytrip.com/plans/index.html

You enter your state in and then you can compare a couple dozen plans. Access America Deluxe looks like it has $1000 electronics coverage. Maybe there are others for your state. Hope this helps.

Take care,
Michele
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:36 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Your homeowners might over your camera and Ipad.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Travelguard, TravelX, TruTravel, Travel Insured, etc..

All have bad reviews on BBB.org and random forums. Dunno which to get :/

What are important things I should look for?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Like access America was just looking good to me, but then i read this...

http://www.travelinsurancereview.net...vel-insurance/

About 200 reviews of people saying its terrible.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:04 PM

I have dealt only with the trip cancellation part. I forgot the name of the company, but their behavior was neither cover or not cover, but just enough to maximize their profit while not paying the claimed amount. First, they didn't reply regarding the claim. When I finally got to talk to a live person after frustrating phone call processing, they would ask for seemingly the same documentations over and over claiming they didn't have them on file. Then, when they could not use that "we don't have the document on file" excuse anymore, they sent me a check for a fraction of the claim with no explanations. Further inquiry as to how the amount was reached and why it was less than the claim led to no responses. The check, of course, said something like by accepting the check, I am agreeing that the amount was the claim payment in full.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Your possessions would generally be covered by your homeowner's or renter's insurance.

Just because you are away from home wouldn't usually change that. And if so, even if your travel ins. policy covered them, as I understand it, they'd probably only consider paying after a claim to your homeowners was filed/denied.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:30 AM

Most complaints about travel insurance claims involve 1)misunderstanding the coverage having made incorrect presumptions, 2) not acquiring/submitting required documentation, 3) inability to provide receipts, and so on.

A recent policy I purchases covers lost/stolen baggage and personal items to a maximum of $1000. But, limit is $300 per item, up to $600 for "...cell phones, computers, and other digital or electronic items." And, the they will pay "the lesser of a) the actual cash value at the time of the loss, less depreciation, as determined by us", etc.

The better bet is to secure your important items at all times. If lost/stolen, you'd be without the the rest of your trip.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:47 AM
ira

hI k,

Keep in mind that very few people write favorable reports, while almost everyone who has had a bad experience posts it.

>I'm just worried about my cameras and ipad getting stolen.<

Take the usual precautions: don't set them down and walk away, don't keep them in a back pack.

Enjoy your visit.

Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:48 AM

We've purchased a number of trip policies through insuremytrip.com but only once have had to file a claim. That was when a broken shoulder caused us to cancel a trip, and TravelGuard paid up very quickly with a minimum of paperwork.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:27 AM

I worked in the A&H Insurance business for years.

For every person you hear about who claim they got screwed there are 10 people who claimed and
everything went smoothly. You never hear from the
happy ones.

I have no doubt it's exactly the same in the travel insurance industry.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 01:58 PM

www.squaremouth.com has a zero complaint policy that states:

"We work on your behalf. If any one of our clients has a complaint against an insurance carrier that cannot be resolved to our satisfaction, we will remove the carrier from our site and no longer sell its products."

They represent most of the major travel insurance carriers. While we have found them to be helpful and have bought a couple of travel insurance policies thru them, we have not yet needed to file a claim.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 05:37 PM

I have been researching travel insurance companies. I had a horrible experience with CSA travel 3 years ago and see from travel insurance review that many people do not like them. I use insuremytrip and then look at the detailed items for comparison and the likelihood of what will happen. For instance comparing Global Assist to Tru travel, for personal effects (theft/damage) I noticed tru travel will not cover eye glasses, but Global will, but neither cover contacts or sun glasses. I also noticed no negative reviews of Global Alert (TruTravel isn't on the reveiw website) so to me that means that people have been paid okay. I agree with everyone above - we'll hear complaints, but in general not happy endings.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 05:44 PM

We recently had a very good experience with tripmate after the sudden illness and death of my father-in-law. Tripmate reimbursed us for everything except the initial trip cancellation coverage of $200/ person. There was quite a bit of paperwork, but even so, it seemed fairly simple, which we really appreciated after going through such a devastating loss in our family.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 05:45 PM

If you are purchasing insurance, I found the policies on insuremytrip did not cover for cancellation in the event the Iceland volcano erupted again (I was told this would be considered a continuation of the initial eruption).

Also, the medical evacation coverage varies greatly - in most cases, except I think with MedJet, they make the decision whether you get evacuated home or not.