Travel insurance

Search

Travel insurance

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel insurance

I will be travelling to and around Europe for 3 weeks in May/June. I have booked all my inter-Europe flights and trains - Gatwick to Pisa, Pisa to Amsterdam, etc. and the total cost of all is $1100. Any thougths or suggestions on travel insurance and is it possible to get a policy that would cover all reasons for cancellation? Can you recommend a company?

Many thanks!
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 01:00 PM

go to www.insuremytrip.com and check rates and what policies cover, that's all I can advise. there are a few other websites like tha taround, but I can't ever remember them.

If I understand correclty, you have already spent $1100 just on the plane/train trips within your vacation. Sounds like a good idea to cover those with insurance. It will probably cost you a lot to get coverage for cancelling for any reason because people who do that think there is a likely chance they'll just change their minds, that's why they buy it. SO it is expensive. Since you bought your tickets already, I would presume you don't think you'll change your mind, so I would think about whether that kind of policy is worth the cost.

You do have time limits when you can buy that kind of policy, anyway, so youmight be past the time you can get it (I think it is usually within 2 weeks of your first expense).

I've used CSA, Access and Travelex but have never had to file a claim so I have no real experience worth recommending. I just chose solid companies with good reputations and read reviews, and then best price. I did have a good friend who used CSA and did have to make a claim for some lost luggage due to a delay or something rather trivial and she raved about how easy it was to file a claim and get money for it.
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 06:40 PM

Hi, to get coverage for all reasons for cancelling, you'll want to review the plan details. If you think you might have a reason that isn't covered, you can purchase 'cancel for any reason'. Some plans include this if you buy the plan soon after making your first trip payment.

See Travel Insurance Review to compare plans and see the reviews from other travelers.

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 06:50 PM

I did as Christina suggested. At insuremytrip you'll find a variety of plans in all price ranges.
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 07:10 PM

I think there is a timeframe in which you have to buy the insurance; within a certain amount of time from first payment made [for any part of trip].
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 12:41 AM

Make sure you are also covered for health care for your trip. Not all US insurers cover you while travelling, in which case you will need travel insurance to cover that too.