Reload this Page >

travel insurance

Search

travel insurance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 1998, 07:24 AM
steve

travel insurance

Is travel insurance a good buy for a 2 week holiday in Europe. What's your opinion? Thanks.

Old Jul 31st, 1998, 06:50 PM
Frank

Message- Absolutely. Get accident & health coverage unless you already have insurance that covers you in Europe. Also emergency medical evacuation coverage. Get trip cancellation coverage if you have lots of pre-paid arrangements. You may also want baggage coverage.

Old Jul 31st, 1998, 09:47 PM
Jackie

<BR>In addition to the above advice if you are taking a cruise buy a cancellation waiver too. This should allow you to cancel for any reason(not just medical) without a penalty.Not all policies are the same in terms of preexisting medical conditions so choose carefully.Most are rigged against the consumer but its worth the gamble anyway.

Old Aug 1st, 1998, 04:07 PM
elaine

I was going to post my own question about <BR>travel insurance, especially trip cancellation <BR>insurance. Can someone recommend a <BR>policy or company to contact?

Old Aug 1st, 1998, 04:24 PM
Aj

Like a lot of things, travel insurance never makes sense until you need it. Then it's too late. I blew my leg in a nasty fall in Barcelona last year and had to come home two weeks early. No insurance. Had to pay for changing travel plans. Had to give up a two-week trip in Provence after pre-paying the rent Had medical bills to pay out of pocket (although I must say that the hospital in Barcelona was first-class and didn't charge me a cent.) And, of course, there were medical bills back home. <BR> <BR> This year, planning a trip to Italy, I've found what seems like a good deal with British Airways. As far as I can see, it would have covered all of the above last year if I'd been covered. And even more, including emergency transport with medical treatment all along. <BR> <BR> Cost for two-plus weeks is about 90 bucks and I figure this to be a bargain, after last year. <BR> <BR> It can be booked at the same time as you buy tickets. <BR> <BR> --Aj

Old Aug 2nd, 1998, 01:18 PM
Dave

That depends on how much you have to lose in case you can't go. Will you lose money on the plane tickets, hotels, and tours? If you are traveling by the seat of your pants, you may not need it. Of course, you should have medical insurance - see if you local policy will cover you abroad.