Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   travel inns in London? or others? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/travel-inns-in-london-or-others-196741/)

Jenn Stone Apr 10th, 2002 04:16 AM

travel inns in London? or others?

Hi<BR><BR>has anyone stayed in either the Euston or Putney Bridge Travel Inn? which neighborhood is better/more convenient?<BR><BR>County Hall TRavel Inn is not available, which I have been told is the best one.<BR><BR>alternatively, have you stayed in:<BR><BR><BR>Hyde Park Radnor Hotel<BR><BR>Delmere Hotel<BR> <BR>Quality Paddington Hotel<BR> <BR>Swiss House Hotel<BR><BR>Windermere Hotel<BR><BR>Four Seasons Townhouse<BR><BR>Shaftesbury Hotel Piccadilly<BR><BR>thanks. what a great website! glad my friend Trish told me about it.<BR><BR>Jenn<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Jenn Stone Apr 10th, 2002 04:58 AM

sounds like I can get Windermere hotel for 90 pounds a night - does that sound OK for this hotel?<BR><BR>thanks<BR><BR>Jenn

ron Apr 10th, 2002 05:05 AM

Jenn, I have stayed at both the County Hall and Euston Travel Inns, and preferred the Euston property. I liked the Bloomsbury location and, a couple of years ago, at least, it was better managed.

Jenn Stone Apr 10th, 2002 05:27 AM

Dear Ron, <BR><BR>thanks! how did you like the Euston neighborhood? it sounds like the hotel itself was better - what did you think of the location? convenient to things? was it a scary neighborhood?<BR><BR>thanks..<BR><BR>Jenn

Paul Apr 10th, 2002 05:46 AM

Putney Bridge is a nicer neighbourhood as its in West London and on the Thames. Euston is OK but theres not much there apart from the large train station-this gives much easier access to places around London than Putney...

ron Apr 10th, 2002 06:00 AM

Jenn, the Travel Inn Euston is located on the northern edge of Bloomsbury, and that's the neighbourhood I consider it to be in. I generally used the Russell Square tube station, especially late at night when returning to the hotel. Bloomsbury is basically a neighbourhood of university students and tourists. There are a bunch of restaurants on Marchmont Street as well as lots of places farther south in Bloomsbury near the British Museum - I particularly remember a Greek place on Coptic Street. I think it is a fine neighbourhood with lovely squares and Georgian buildings.<BR><BR>To me the main difference between TI County Hall and TI Euston is that the County Hall is in a crappy neighbourhood close to a number of tourist attractions while the TI Euston is in a nice neighbourhood not immediately adjacent to major tourist attractions, except the British Museum. I think that County Hall gives first-time visitors the WOW factor of the London Eye right behind the building and the Houses of Parliament and the clock tower containing Big Ben almost directly across the river. But after that, not much...<BR><BR>I've read on travel boards that there is visible prostitution around Euston Station, but I have never seen it. The only public evidence of prostitution I have seen in recent years are the adverts in all the phone booths.

Jenn Stone Apr 10th, 2002 06:14 AM

wow, that helps a LOT. thanks, you guys are great!!<BR><BR>Jenn

Rob McCoist Apr 10th, 2002 01:56 PM

Check out the Tower Bridge Travel Inn too. It was great for us and has been reviewed on Fodor's Rants & Raves.<BR><BR>Rob