Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travel Inn @ County Hall (London) access to Waterloo Station

Notices

Old Nov 17th, 2000, 01:02 PM
patti

OK, I am STILL working on this trip with 8 friends so I apprciate all your patience with me! Here's todays question: The Channel Tunnel to Paris does sound easy compared to flying so I think that is what we will do (thanks for all the info). So, I am now thinking of our staying at The Travel Inn County Hall across from Waterloo Station. Thinking of it because of the price (69.95 pds) and it looks close to Waterloo station.
Can we walk with luggage to Waterloo station or will we need to take cabs? How much time should we allow to get over there walking/cabs? Thank you for any help.
Patti

Old Nov 17th, 2000, 01:46 PM
Carol Campos

Patti:
You could walk from the TravelInn to the Waterloo Station, it is an easy walk, and safe when with several people. Follow the map you have or ask at the hotel. I remember walking from the train station with my husband last year coming back from Windsor and staying at the Marriott County Hall and seeing your hotel on the other side of the Marriott. We did get a little lost, but that was our fault. If you have a normal amount of luggage (2 suitcases tops) you should be o.k. And besides, everyone walks in Europe anyhow.We also travelled via the chunnel to Paris and it was a fast trip, but very little sight seeing in ref. to coastline and the English channel (none). Have a great time

Old Nov 17th, 2000, 09:55 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors

Dear Ms Suttle,

I agree with Ms Campos throughout, but for the implication of the words "and safe when with several people". It is safe alone, with others, or any way you walk it. The only unsafe areas of London are some of the large estates of social housing roughly three or four miles out from the West End. These are ugly, and no tourists go there.

You can go to Paris for 63 dollars single in nine hours by rail, boat and rail, via the Old Dover Road, Rochester, Canterbury, the white cliffs, and Calais. I'll send you detail if you so ask. And in general please write if I can help further. Welcome to London.

Ben Haines

Old Nov 17th, 2000, 11:45 PM
patti

Mr. Haines and Ms. Campos-thank you both for taking the time to respond. I feel better knowing that this a nice area.
God bless!
Patti

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 09:49 AM
Michelle

Patti: I've dragged myself and various bnits of luggage from County Hall to Waterloo on many occasions.

If you have luggage the easiest way (no steps, other than hotel, to negotiate) is out of County Hall, cross the road and head left, take first right (it's either a pub or cafe on corner), go down road to T junction, cross road at traffic lights, take the road that is to the right of lights. Entry to international terminal is on your left. If you are using a national line (and you have luggage) I'd still recommend entering via international terminal as it is a gentle slope up to national part of station. Hint, if you have luggage get a trolley at international terminal and take it in lift (which is rather well hidden but next to escalator) to national terminal - there are fewer trolleys at national level.

If you have no luggage and are using a national rail line you can access station (from County Hall) via (I'm pretty sure) the Shell building courtyard and take the steps that go over the road and then straight into station - I don't often go that way though. Even with luggage it takes me less than 5 minutes to walk from County Hall to Waterloo. Lastly, I have never had any hassle no matter what hour I've been travelling (well except occasionally for the youngsters who profess to have lost their train fare home).
Have fun.

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 09:55 AM
AC

Hi Patti:
Sounds like your plans are taking shape. Good for you! My mother and I walked all over the area surrounding Waterloo Station and never felt unsafe. There are people walking all over. There are elevators and escalators all over so a reasonable amount of luggage will be no problem. Keep posting on your plans!

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 01:35 PM
patti

Michelle-thanks for all the GREAT information! I did want to ask you though if you are referring to "County Hall"-the Travel Inn or the actual County Hall building when giving the directions. You are prob. referring to the Hotel but I wanted to be sure!

AC-thanks too for the encouragement! I am getting pretty to close to having my itinerary done (I do have 7 months to make minor changes also). So, I will post the itinerary soon-your probably like me and LOVE to read what other people are doing! I guess that's why we love this forum-huh?
Thanks again
Patti

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 01:46 PM
patti

Opps! I did not want to leave out a THANKS also to: Carol and Ben! Thanks for taking the time to give me great information. You know, its just different planning a trip not just for yourself but for frinds too. The whole dynamic of the trip changes because of their:time restraints, lets not forget money issues, preferences on sightseeing, energy levels and tolerances of certain things ("European-ness, alcohol, smoking, etc.) "European-ness is a word I made up? Meaning, things that are older, maybe not as "clean", later nights, small breakfasts, no ice, etc. These things I find "charming" in Europe other people just can't seem to tolerate as well. SO, all that to say, I am taking a lot of time on planning this trip so that everyone can have the best trip possible. And, I do understand that I cannot make everyone happy. They will enjoy what they will enjoy. If they don't like the cute little B&B's in Ireland or walking around Paris at night-I do know that it is not my fault.
But, I just want to be as prepared as possible and make their trip as enjoyable as I humanly can.
Thanks again!
Patti

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 02:43 AM
D Ong

i stayed at travel inn city across waterloo station, in dec 1998 with my son. it's very convenient - we walked to the station and wheeled all our luggage (and we had lots) with little difficulty. proximity to the station was the reason i chose travel inn.

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 07:32 AM
Michelle

Patti: Yes, I was talking about the hotel (Travel Inn) which has its entrance (kind of) at the back of the County Hall building. Hope the planning is going smoothly.

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 10:39 AM
Patti

Michelle-thanks! The planning is coming along-really takes a lot of time but it is just SO MUCH FUN! Most of my questions would not even BE questions if it were just me and my husband but since I am taking 8 friends-that really makes a difference. I would not want to be unprepared-they are expecting me to be the Tour Guide ("the blind leading the blind!). So, I've taken on this responsibility and I really am having fun with and and I'm learning so much! Its an education in itself. Again, thanks for your time-I do appreciate you and everyone for helping me.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Patti