Notices

TRAVEL IN POLAND

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 04:04 PM
Cathy

TRAVEL IN POLAND

We are going to Poland in September in order for me to discover my roots. Would it be better to rent a vehicle or use the trains while we are there? What about bringing and using a camper?
Thanks!

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 06:29 PM
Al

I advise that you check with the company from whom you rent your vehicle. Some companies in western Europe will not allow their vehicles to be taken to eastern Europe lest they disappear forever. Their insurance carriers will not cover this loss.

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 08:53 AM
Peter

Have you driven in Europe before? There are many different traffic signs, which are not used in USA and are used a lot in Europe (East or West). It also depends if you are going to Cities and towns Vs small villages where the public transportation maybe wasting you a valuable time. My choice would be car rental, but I've driving in Europe, Poland included - rental gives you ability to reach any place, even the most remote ones quickly. For fewer headaches - I would travel by train or bus to large city near the area you would like to visit and then rent locally. Check polish national travel agency for some rates http:www.orbis-usa.com (they are located in New York and reliable).
Camper? forget it - I have not seen any camper rentals in Poland - you could bring a tent, but I'm sure you will find cheap accommodations, which are safer, cleaner and more fun. Private / type of B&B will charge from $10 to $30/night or sometimes even less.

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 01:51 PM
Ben Haines

Poland has an intricate service of trains, and there are local busses. For a feel of the country I'd say miss a car or camper, and use public transport. You should buy at at a large station the current rail timetable, and should use sleeping or couchette cars for such long trips as Gdansk to Jelenia Gora or Bydgoszcz to Krakow.

Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe.

Ben Haines, London

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 09:05 AM
Peter

note that september is going back to school month - public transportation during this time is a mad house - check make sure before going that you are not traveling within those 2 weeks. to smaller villages you may have better luck with busess then train. At some trains/stations keep your eyes open for thiefs (don't advertise what you have).
Train reservations are highly recommented - when buying a ticket esspecially for long distance express - make sure you have seat assign or sleeper. Or you maybe standing during your trip...

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 01:01 PM
Eva

I live in Poland/in Warsaw/. If you
have any questions, feel free to e-mail me.

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 06:08 PM
Cathy

Thanks to all of you who have responded. My husband and I have decided if the insurance is the right kind, that we will take a camper into Poland and take bus tours of the big cities that we might visit. We appreciate all of your input!

Cathy

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 07:12 PM
Jeff G.

I lived in Poland for 4 years. Absolutely do not drive in Poland! There are only about 100 miles of 4-lane highway in the entire country. The roads are filled with pot-holes and the Poles drive like maniacs! They have one of the highest highway death tolls in the world! Everyone American I know who had a car there had an accident

On the other hand, the inter-city trains are comfortable and efficient. Go first class. It's pretty inexpensive by US standards and very convenient. A Warsaw-Krakow 1st class one way ticket costs less than $20.

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 04:03 PM
Peter

I'm an American and I've been renting and driving in Poland for past 6 vacations. Most of the highways are wide 2 lane, and driving is not dangerous. I guess the author of other post got Poland confused with Italy, esspecially comenting on drivers. There are some that are on the rush (but mostly with german plates, where I guess there are no speed limits on some highways). I found Poles to be good drivers. New to driving would have green maple leaf sticker at the back of their cars (which I thought was great idea). Just way too many signs... and rules to remeber (as in any european country)...