Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travel in Northern Spain to the Border (with France)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Dan

I need to get from Gijon (Asturias) to Irun in order to catch a train to Paris. I want to find the quickest route by Car or Autobus. How long would it take by car and how much would it cost to rent? How long would it take by Autobus (ALSA)?

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Maribel

Dan, <BR>As I mentioned on an easilier post, there's an ALSA "supra" (quicker, fewer stops) bus that departs Gijon at 7:45, arrives at the border in Irun at 13:35, running everyday except. SAT. The other regular Alsa busses take longer, 7+ hrs. than the one morning "supra", I'd take the 7:45, as it would allow you to connect to the fast TGV to Paris from across the border in Hendaye. The bus is very economical, See the schedule at <BR>www.alsa.es There's an English version.<BR><BR>To get driving times from Gijon to Irun, go to www.viamichelin.com and click on "driving distances".<BR>You can also check www.campsa.es to compare the estimated driving times, but I find www.viamichelin. com to be quite accurate. I really don't know how much it would cost for your 1 day rental.<BR><BR>The train schedule from Hendaye to Paris can be found at www.sncf.fr Has an English version.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:26 PM
cova

Hi Dan,<BR>I also agree with Maribel about the Supra service. And there is a bonus point about the buses to Irun : all of them, Supra or not Supra, end their journey at the Hendaye train station. It makes easier the transfer to the TGV.<BR>I have bought tickets on-line at www.alsa.es , so you might want to try it. The Supra services have less seats as the normal buses, and they sell faster.<BR><BR>There is a TGV that leaves from Hendaye at 14:16 for Paris, and another at 17:23.<BR><BR>www.campsa.es is a good site to check distances and time, but it only covers Spain and Portugal. If you want to use it, type Irun as your destination (it´s just across the border from Spain). In a normal day, it can take you 3 and a half, 4 hours to drive from Gijon to Hendaye (depending on the time, if you end up in rush hour when going near Bilbao or San Sebastian ...).<BR><BR>Rgds, Cova

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 04:47 AM
Maribel

Hi cova,<BR>I'm glad to know that the ALSA busses end their run at Hendaye rather than Irun. Since Hendaye isn't listed as a "destino" on their web page, I didn't realize that they continue on there, as the Pesa (?) busses from Bilbao do. Good to know that.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 04:59 AM
cova

Hi Maribel,<BR>yes, they do and they usually are there around one hour before the next TGV to Paris. <BR>In the same way, the TGV from Paris ends up in Irun instead of Hendaye. It is really handy, specially if you get the 10:00 TGV from Paris (not so good for the afternoon one, it arrives to Irun at around 21:30, and usually you can only find buses to San Sebastian at that time).<BR>Rgds, Cova

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Maribel

Hi cova,<BR>Thanks! <BR><BR>Dan,<BR>I forgot an important factor about the car rental, probably a deciding one. If you do pick up a rental car at the train station in Gijon and drop it off at the train station in Hendaye, since you'll be dropping off in another country, France, you're almost certain to incur an extremely hefty drop-off charge, which may make this prohibitively exp. Check with Avis. They have locations in both the Renfe station in Gijon and the SNCF station at Hendaye (Atesa doesn't have an office in Hendaye). To avoid that huge drop off fee, you'd need to return the car in Spain, to the San Sebastian airport location, which is in Hondarribia, next door to Irun (Avis has no office in Irun). <BR>A 1 day rental of an Avis compact (Opel Corsa) from Gijon to Hondarribia would cost about 60 euros (I just checked). Then you'd need to taxi to Hendaye, but fare wouldn't be all that much, as it's just across the Bidasoa River. <BR>Cova, do you know approximately what taxi fare would be from Hondarribia to the Hendaye gare? (I was asked this question before here on the Forum and couldn't come up with an answer!)

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 09:53 AM
cova

Hi Maribel,<BR>thanks God I don´t know (we have always managed to get either the bus or to have parked the car in Hendaye), but doing a bit of wishful thinking, knowing that he would be leaving from the airport (extra charge), I´d say around 15 Euro aprox.<BR>Rgds, Cova

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Dan

Thanks Maribel and Cova all of your advice has been great help! I will be taking the Alsa into Hendaye and catch the TGV from there. Thank You so much!

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 04:19 PM
Maribel

Dan,<BR>Much better, I think, to take ALSA than try to rent the car for the day. Just make sure that the ALSA bus arriving in Irun at 13:35 does go on immediately to Hendaye in time to catch the 14:16 TGV. <BR>And enjoy beautiful green Asturias!

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 07:08 PM

topping for daisy