Travel in May to Spain

Old Jan 7th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel in May to Spain

Hi Guys

we are going to Spain at May and thinking to visit Madrid, Seville, Granada, Velencia and Barcelona. we now planning to
1) stay 4 nights in Madrid so that we can do some day trip to near by town
2) 2 night in Seville
3) 1 night in Granada
4) 2 night in Velencia
5) 3 night in Barcelona

is this arrangement ok.? i found out that from Granada to Velencia take 7hrs, any alternative?

Thanks

Katty
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 09:02 PM

1 night in Granada will not do if you intend to see the Alhambra, for which I think that you now need reservations.
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi Michael

thanks. i still thinking should i go Grannada as it a bit out of the way. any suggestion on my route?
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 09:17 PM

Skip Valencia. Add a night to Granada and a night to Seville. Fly from Granada to Barcelona.
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 09:26 PM
kja

What are your interests?
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 09:33 PM

Valencia is a bit hard to fit in.
A fast train from Madrid to Valencia
takes one hour and 30min...if you go from Madrid to Valencia for 2 nights ,
return to a Madrid and take AVE from Madrid right away to Seville -
2hour 30 min ( there are numerous trains to Seville and you are at the train station already)you might save some time.
From Seville bus to Granada and fly Vueling from aGranada to Barcelona.
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 11:59 PM

Spain is serious festival turf, and most of the festivals goes way back in time and are primarily local events. Great opportunity to experience the culture.

In May, Andalucian towns - especially Granada and Córdoba - celebrate the "Cruces de Mayo": http://www.spanish-fiestas.com/spani...es-de-mayo.htm

Córdoba in May is something special, the "cruces" celebration is followed by the patio competition leading on to the flamenco inspired Feria by the end of the month.
Córdoba patio exposition and competition: http://www.andalucia.com/cities/cordoba/patios.htm
The Feria in late May: http://www.andalucia.com/festival/co...pring-fair.htm

If you go to Córdoba, perhaps also visit the ruins of the 10th century palace city Madinat al-Zahra just outside town? http://www.andalucia.com/magazine/en...d4/madinat.htm

May is also the month of the San Isidro festival in Madrid, the celebration of the city's patron saint: http://www.madrid-guide-spain.com/san-isidro.html

Córdoba is 1h 40 mins from Madrid with the high speed AVE train and en route to Sevilla. You can save more than 50% on the AVE train tickets if you buy them in advance at renfe.com.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Original Poster

hi Kja

our interest is on architectural/interesting building and landscape. not su much in history
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 03:45 AM

I add up that your trip is 12 nights, if it were me I'd do 4 nights in each place you stop (eliminating Granada and Valencia) or maybe a bit better, 4 nights Madrid, 3 Seville and 5 in Barcelona. I don't like to spend too much of my trip time packing up and moving and I think each of those stops has enough to spend several days. Hopefully you plan to see Cordoba either as a daytrip from Seville or on the way there - the mezquita is amazing. IMO the alcazar and the gardens in Seville are almost as good as Granada, in fact the Alcazar has many of the same features but the gardens are not quite as extensive so again, IMO, it is not necessary to use the time to go to Granada. Barcelona with a few day trips has plenty to entertain for a 5 night stay. Enjoy!
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 06:27 AM

Although I haven't been to the Alhambra yet, I don't think it makes sense to go to Andalucia and not see the Alhambra. My daughter told me that it is one of the most, if not the most, beautiful places she has seen (and she has done a lot of traveling & living in foreign countries). She told me everyone should see the Alhambra in their lifetime.

I have been to Barcelona & you will not see much in 3 nights. We were there in October 2010 for 5 nights & did not see everything. Based on what I have read and from talking to other people, I think you should eliminate Valencia on this trip.

So maybe 2 nights Granada, & at least 4 nights Barcelona, with 4 nights in Madrid, & 2 nights in Seville, or 3 nights in Madrid & 3 nights in Seville??
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

thanks guys

after hearing from all, i think we will make some changes
1) 4 night in Madrid
2) 4 night in Seville
3) 4 night in Barcelona

and maybe make some day trip to nearby town. i have read a web for a private guided tour to Alhambra from Seville at Euro 130. Does it worth it? as we thinking to use Seville as a base than after that can take flight to Barcelona

any comment about Ronda? thinking to have a trip there also but there is no train connect. Any recommendation?
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 08:39 AM

Your first itinery was way too rushed. Your next itinerary is better however I think you're still trying to cover too much geography in 12 nights. 4 nights in Sevilla just is too short to visit Cordoba and Granada as daytrips and also adequately see Sevilla. I wouldn't visit Andalucia the first time without a visit to Granada - and I don't recommend visiting Granada as a daytrip fron Sevilla ( it's 3 hous each way) Ronda is beautiful but again you just won't have time. As kimhe mentions May is a great time to visit Andalucia as many cities have festivals and it's a wonderful way to experience the culture.

Personally I'd eliminate Madrid or Barcelona and just focus on 2 geographies. Logistically it would be easiest to eliminate Barcelona (and save for another trip). With this option I'd stay 4-5 nights in Madrid and visit Toledo as a day trip (with 5 nights you would probably have time to do Segovia as a day trip). With the 7-8 nights in Andalucia I'd budget 4 for Sevilla as a minimum (day trip to Cordoba) and 2 for Granada. If your visit coincides with the Patio Festival in Cordoba or the spring Feria in Jerez I'd consider taking the remaining 1-2 days and staying in these cities during the festival. Both could be done as day trips from Sevilla but it may be nice to overnight to fully experience these cities during the festivals. Another way to spend these 1-2 days would be to rent a car between Sevilla and Granada visiting the white villages using Ronda as a base. Or spend these 1-2 nights in Malaga. In this scenario I'd try to fly home from Malaga, Sevilla or Granada (with connecting flights) eliminating the need to backtrack to Madrid.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:22 AM

Like CathyM, I plan to visit Spain in May 2012 with my wife and 19 year daughter for 16-17 nights and I found this thread extremely helpful. The places I want to cover are:
1) Madrid - 4 nights
2) Sevilla - 3 nights
3) Torrox (Costa de Sol) - 2 nights. Hire a car on the final day to drop us at Granada visiting Nerja, La Herradura, Salobrena, Almunecar and the La Alpujara on the way. Will this be too hectic?
4) Granada - 3 nights, with a day trip to Sierra Nevada and the adjoining areas (by public transport, if conveniently available, or by car).
5) Barcelona - 4-5 nights

I am confused on certain aspect of this trip.
1) Are we trying to cover too much?
2) Will May be too hot in Andalusia or even Madrid? Our trip begins on May 12.
3) Or will it be better to skip Andalusia altogether and instead move from Madrid to Cantabria and the Basque (San Sebastian/Hondarribia); then come to Barcelona and also spend a few days at Costa Brava?

Will appreciate your advice.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:25 AM

Sorry! I meant to write Katty_lim in my post and not CathyM. My sincere appologies for the goof-up.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 12:00 PM

OK, it is great that you have clarified your interests. That helps us to make recs that are best for you, not just best for logistics, etc. With your expressed interests, I would concentrate on Barcelona, Granada, Seville and Toledo.

Since your main interest is architecture, then Barcelona for Gaudi's work and Granada for the Alhambra is absolutely essential, IMHO. They are totally unique. You will not see anything like either of them anyplace else. Both cities are also interesting and beautiful and very different from each other, so you will get unique experiences in both places. Food is even very different in each city.

Also, the gardens of the Alhambra are at their peak in May so you can see the whole place and setting at it's best. The landscape around Granada is beautiful with mountains and groves of olive trees.

Granada is not a good day trip from Seville. You need two nights in Granada so you can visit the Alhambra during the day and during the evening. Two days would be better in Granada, so you can do a bit of walking for great views in the lovely areas around the Alhambra.

You need at least three days in Barcelona to see enough to get any kind of feeling for it; four would be better. Concentrate on Gaudi's work: Sagrada Familia and Casa Mila and walk in Parc Guell. For architecture, also look at Palau Musica. It is lovely and unique. The Barcelona cathedral is nothing to write home about, IMO.

Next would be Toledo for the cathedral which is truly a three star sight. All the city is old and beautiful, an architectural feast, and the surrounding landscape is lovely.

Then it is a toss up: Cordoba for the mosque, Seville for the cathedral and basilica and then the alcazar. Cordoba is a good day trip from Seville. The old center (bario) of Seville with a warren of tiny walking passages is very interesting and lovely. Night walks in Seville are lovely.

If you are not into museums and history, and don't want to see the Prado or other museums, or the palace, then you could drop Madrid as a place to stay. When you land in Madrid, take the train to Toledo. Spend a night and the next day and in the evening head to Cordoba or Seville.

Don't try to fit in other places or areas or towns. These four have more than enough to do and fit your personal interests.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 12:30 PM

My wife and I were married in May of 2011 and went to Europe for our honeymoon. Costa del Sol - Spain, was part of our tour. We spent a week in Spain and loved every second. Below are some videos of our journey that I posted to youtube and I hope can give you ideas of things to do, what the weather is like, and places to visit. I hope you enjoy it. Thank you!

Spain Costa del Sol Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2cw_VHkkUw

Spain Costa del Sol Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZI8BTjUGD0

Day trip to Tangier via Tarifa Ferry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDmww7JI9UQ

Let me know if you have any questions!! Cheers!
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

thanks guys

any idea, should i take bus or train? bus cheaper but train faster. the problem is i cant get the web information regarding bus schedule and fare. can advise?
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 07:21 AM

Are you referring to your Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona itinerary? If so I'd take the train from Madrid to Sevilla (purchase a web fare which can be reduced up to 60% off the normal price). Then I'd fly from Sevilla to Barcelona. You should be able to find very inexpensive flights. I'd fly open jaw into Madrid and return from Barcelona so you don't have to backtrack.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 08:03 AM

Try Vueling.com for inexpensive flights. There's a sale for €30 flights right now.

Buses - http://www.movelia.es/default.asp
Train - http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

May might be too far ahead to try and book, but pick an earlier date to see schedules. (I'm trying to plan my July trip but it's way too early for me to get exact prices & schedules, so I just check these sites out to get an idea)

I'm also finding this site quite useful regarding travel and basic information on each city (besides getting help from the good people here on Fodors of course!)- http://gospain.about.com/
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 09:54 AM

Katy - I have never taken the bus long distances in Spain, I have found the trains very pleasant. The train will be a very efficient way to get from Madrid to Seville but a flgiht will be better from Seville to Barcelona. If you pre-book the trains I beleive you will get better rates but in the past some posters have had problems with using the RENFE website - maybe it is better now.

As to the daytrip to Granada from Seville my vote would be no. I think the Alcazar in Seville will be a good example of the architectural style of the Alhambra. People seem to have very differing opinions of the Alahmbra - for some it is a don't miss experience - others are underwhelmed. I found it very similar to the Seville Alcazar (and not nearly as impressive as the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul, but I digress). Have a great trip!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -