Travel in London & Heritage Pass

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2010, 12:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have 6 full days in London and plan to use tube and hop on /off bus to get around. Any suggestions as to what is the most ecomonical way of doing this. If we purchase a rail pass do we buy it from o/s or there? My husband is 60 and classed as a senior here can we use that in London? If so do we have to fill in any special forms? Can we use rail passes to go to Cambridge?

What is the best for us to purchase Historic Houses Pass, National Trust? Great Heritage Pass is very expensive and only lasts 30 days and we need longer.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 01:09 AM

"We will have 6 full days in London and plan to use tube and hop on /off bus to get around."

Hope you realise that the hop on/hop off bus is a tourist bus with a commentary, either pre-recorded or live, tickets are £20 plus for 24 hours (depending on the current deals). If you decide to do this, as you will have 6 days in London, the normal buses (and of course the tube) would be the best way to get around.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 01:28 AM

You can buy a senior Railcard to get reduced fares on national railways:
http://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ings-cross.cfm

Within London, you can get a 7-day travelcard. If you get one from a national rail company (which comes on paper), that is currently still linked to 2for1 offers on a number of attractions, for which you'd have to print out coupons in advance:

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/

Those offers aren't available to people with travelcards or tickets issued by Transport for London, which will come on the electronic Oystercard (which covers both travelcards and pay-as-you-go payments). It's up to you whether the balance of financial advantage is on using Oyster pay-as-you-go with a Senior Railcard reduction, or on a paper travelcard with some 2for1 offers - it all depends what attractions you want to visit and how much the 2for1s might save.

As for hop-on hop-off buses, these are quite expensive, but come with a commentary and go round the main attractions. Alternatively, you can make your own way around on the normal service buses covered by your travelcard or Oystercard:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...al_bus_map.pdf

Can't help on wider heritage passes and the like, etc. In principle, my instinct is to go to the source, e.g., the National Trust, or English Heritage, rather than commercial providers, who tend to bundle up all sorts of things I wouldn't want to see anyway.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 01:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that. Will check out websites. Have used buses before in Roem, Madrid etc.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 02:25 AM

If you're planning to be in Loondon all the time, you should think very carefully indeed about Heritage Passes (or passes from National Trust or English Heritage). A very large proportion of things people want to see in London are free, almost all paid-for attractions are covered by the Days Out 2 for 1 dea1 - and a very, very tiny %age of NT's or EH's paid-for properties are in London. I can't imagine ANY of these passes is worthwhile for a London-based week.

If the only trip out of London you're planning is to Cambridge, a Senior Railcard (£26 for a third off most fares) isn't worthwhile. But advance booking,or a bus (National Express) will save you a lot.

We can't do the sums on this for you.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 03:36 AM

On discounts for over-60s

Real people don't use the term "senior" here: the term's sometimes used to brand discounts - but we call ourselves exactly what we did at 59, and we don't get hissy if other people call us 'old age pensioners'

There are no discounts on London Transport for over 60's (over-60s living in London travel free): discounts on trains are available only with a Senior Railcard (which doesn't get a discount on Travelcards bought from railway stations) and most paid-for attractions give a lower rate (typically 10-25% off, and labelled "concessions" on most websites and entrance boards)to anyone who asks.

Incidentally, I now see you're here for over a month, and spending at least a month outside London. In which case:
- consider JOINING the National Trust and/or English Heritage, both of which get you unlimited free access to their sites (and their Scottish & Welsh peers', as well as to some sites in the US and Australia) for free.
- You MIGHT find a Britrail pass worthwhile if you're planning lots and lots of train travel outside London. But check very carefully with the same journeys booked individually, using prices on the National Rail site, and not the disgracefully - indeed out and out fraudulently -misleading comparisons on the Britrail site.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 03:44 AM

"we don't get hissy if other people call us 'old age pensioners'"

My mother does

I had the impression that although the OP's husband is over 60, she isn't herself.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 01:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Where are you traveling outside of London -- and for how long??

the reason the GBHP costs a bit more is because it covers a lot more than the other passes. But it depends on where you'll be. The GBHP covers all National Trust properties, all English Heritage, all Historic Scotland - etc. Plus most of the big privately owned (and usually expensive to visit) places like Blenheim, Chatsworth, Beaulieu, Castle Howard, Warwick etc etc etc.

So just because it costs more does not mean it is 'expensive'. Usually one saves several times the cost of the GBHP -- but that partly depends on you actual itinerary.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. We hope to see as much as possible, but am getting theimpression that we won't cover as much as what well meaning friends or others from here that have covered our itinierary in a shorter time( they must have had wings!!) We will be 60, with me celebrating mine in Ireland!! In Australia once you turn 60 you can apply for a Seniors Card & hey if there are some benefits who cares!!! Yes we do wnat to see Blenheim, Hampton Court not sure what else depends whether it is on our itinerary.
We have already paid for a car from Heathrow which we drop back before staying in London.
Any ideas for places to use as a base in Cotswolds, Lakes district & Cornwall. I'm thinking that we will radiate out from there to cover those areas.
I've read that we can't buy Travelcards at Heathrow and it must be a manned station - we will be staying n Kensington near Bayswater station, is this a manned station?
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 09:31 PM

OK - now I know who you are

When do you expect to see Blenheim? Day 1 after your long haul flight? Or drive over on one of your Cotswold days? You either won't have time to see any of Oxford -- OR -- you will lose almost one full day from the Cotswolds.

If you are sticking w/ that whirlwind itinerary, there is a bit of a problem using the GBHP. It is good for consecutive days and there will be several days when you will just be driving w/ little chance to use the Pass. If you slow down a bit, you'll have more time in each area to actually visit sites.

There are several covered sites in North Yorkshire, and MANY between York and Edinburgh --- but you simply won't have the time.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 11:01 AM

Can you buy travel passes at the West Bromoton rail station? Is it the closest rail station to West Kensington and Holiday Inn Express at Earl's Court? Thanks!

We're thinking of doing it, because we definitely plan on seeing the Tower of London and like the idea of 2 for 1 for all of us for that alone. That would be a savings equal to the price of more than a one week pass.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 12:14 PM

When you land at LHR, would we just buy tickets to get to West Brompton rail & then get our 7-day paper pass? Does that make sense? Our hotel is at West Kensingon, in HI Earl's Court.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 12:35 PM

"<i>would we just buy tickets to get to West Brompton rail </i>"

There is no rail connection between LHR and West Brompton. Depending on your budget, I'd probably book a car service. You'll be in west London so the fare won't be too much (probably less than £30). Tube travel from LHR will involve line changes.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 12:50 PM

We will pack lightly, so changing lines/transferring shouldn't be a big issue; our young adults are more seasoned at catching rails/metros/tubes than we are and things will all be in English! We will probably each have a light rolling bag & day pack.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 01:09 PM

A car service would still probably be better. The easiest way to get to your hotel is to take the Piccadilly line from LHR to Hammersmith where it is a very easy transfer to the District line east bound two stops to West Kensington - but then it is a 1/2 mile walk to the hotel. Not fun w/ jet lag or in the rain.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 01:13 PM

Oh, I hadn't realized our hotel was far from the tube stop. That's disappointing. Thanks for pointing it out. I guess we may play it by ear, depending on how we feel and what the weather is like when we land. Thanks a lot, Janis! We are very unused to riding taxis, in general, in US or when traveling; have generally caught transit.

The flight will be better than many we've caught, as it is a non-stop of about 11 hours; long but not as bad as many we've endured.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 01:29 PM

"<i>I guess we may play it by ear, depending on how we feel and what the weather is like when we land.</i>"

That is the problem -- waiting until you arrive isn't really a great option. A taxi from the airport will cost a fortune. A Car service is cheaper - but MUST be booked in advance. They cannot pick up fares at the airport curb, they must have a firm booking. Taxi = approx £50+; Car service = about £25-ish to west kens.

OR - you could take the tube to Earls Court and then catch a taxi from there. It would be a short cab ride.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 01:37 PM

Make sure you understand that the car service janisj is recommending is NOT a taxi; a taxi would cost a tremendous amount from LHR. And I don't think it would be convenient (or even possible? I don't know) to call the car service--justairports-- up from LHR and have them come at a moment's notice. This is a service you reserve ahead of time (exclusively?) We have used the tube to travel from LHR to a B&B .2 miles from the tube stop--not a problem. But this summer we are in a different room a bit further from a tube stop (and a tube ride from LHR would involve a transfer) so we are booking a ride through justairports.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 01:40 PM

(hi janisj--I think we were posting/writing at the same time!--Alecia/texasbookworm)
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 11:11 PM

Sorry, didn't understand about hiring a car service. That does sound nice. How does one get in touch with the car service? That does sound very nice to know it will be waiting for us. How do we set it up--give them our flight # & have them figure out when we will land & clear customs, in case we may be delayed?

Any suggested car services in London? We don't have any experience. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -