travel in ireland in november?

Jul 12th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

travel in ireland in november?

i have a friend who wants me to travel to ireland in mid november. i really don't want to see the rural country side in the cold and the rain is that what i will get? e paln to fly into shannon, rent a car and do a castle stay for 6 nights. any suggestions?
Jul 12th, 2004, 05:33 AM

Pros - Prices will be low and sights wont be congested

Cons - It will be cold and very wet.
Jul 12th, 2004, 05:41 AM

WHere are you going/staying? It does not rain every day over here and you may even have a week with no rain. I think jan/feb is worse weather. It will be cool but not as cold as NY for example. Also the prices are much better.
Jul 12th, 2004, 05:46 AM
Ardfert

It rains on the west coast of Ireland for 9% of the time and 6% on the east coast and there is no great difference from month to month.Average temp in Nov.is a few degrees above freezing -around 40F.Frost occurs on only 10 days in the average year in coastal areas and snow rarely falls.Winds on the west coast can be quite strong in November but the big problem is the short days-it is dark around 4pm compared to 10pm in summer.A castle stay in Dromoland or Ashford would suit me very well indeed in November and you can expect both of those to be full at weekends almost every week of the year.Consider staying midweek when the prices are a lot lower.

Jul 12th, 2004, 06:00 AM

Spent the night at Dromoland last Wed, yes, I would do a week if I could!
Jul 12th, 2004, 06:14 AM

<<It rains on the west coast of Ireland for 9% of the time and 6% on the east coast>>

Excuse me?
Jul 12th, 2004, 09:34 AM

Weather's unpredicatble, so who knows what you'll get? We've been in Ireland several times during the third or fourth week in November. Some years, we've had no rain at all. I'm from the northeastern US, so Ireland in late November has always been warmer than it is at home for me.

I've loved our November trips. It's true that it gets dark quite early, but that just means that we don't do as much outdoorsy stuff and start our evenings in the pub a bit earlier. (Don't spend all of your time in castles!)
Jul 12th, 2004, 10:56 AM

I'm actually going to do the same thing--six nights in mid-November. I'm planning on three nights in Clifden at Abbeyglen Castle, so I can tour around Connemara, then three nights in Ennis so I can tour around the Burren area. Not much driving, very leisurely yet experience two different areas. And yes, prices are very reasonable and as far as weather--hope for the best and if it really rains a lot, I'm bringing several books!! And of course, there's always the pubs! I'm quite looking forward to it!
Jul 12th, 2004, 11:12 AM

My wife and I planned to go to Ireland last November and wanted to take 2 of our adult children. Daughter in college could only go in January, so we went. Had a wonderful trip, no crowds, never rained for more than an hour at one time. Pubs are warm and great place to stop for a little rain.
We were the only people in the book of Kells room for 30 minutes. We had a private tour at New Grange. We have more pictures of rainbows and felt like we found our pot of gold.
Jul 13th, 2004, 10:08 AM

Josie -
We've been to Ireland in November twice in the past 5 years; it's actually my favorite time to visit. See if Dromoland or Ashford has any "special offers" on their websites for extended stays, 2 years ago, we stayed at Dromoland during our November trip for $ 300 US, for 2 nights for a party of 3. Can't get much better then that, when you figure that a B&B for 3 would be about 90 Euro...One thing, the weather can be brisk, (one night we had a torrential downpour with gale force winds, stayed in with a fire raging all night!), but if you dress in layers, you should be ok.
-eyps
Dec 26th, 2004, 09:42 AM

Having just spent a wonderful 10 days in western Ireland, I can confirm that it's a wonderful time to go! Yes, the weather is brisk, but there are no tourist throngs, rates are low, and the pubs are cozy places to warm up and meet locals. Some days we had rain, some days sun, most days were windy, but we did what we wanted without regard to weather. One day in particular that stands out was when we happened upon Lahinch; it was sunny and the protected beach was full of surfers! A pleasant town with shops and restaurants. Can't wait for our next visit!!
Dec 27th, 2004, 07:34 AM

This past November was the driest on record (of course, because I spent most of the month in the US), and it's wasn't particularly cold.

You never really can predict the weather here. You could have a spectacular week in November or a cold and rainy week in July.
Dec 27th, 2004, 07:52 AM

I was just there in November and we got a variety of weather--temps pretty much around 50 and a couple half days of rain during a week stay. I'd definitely go again in November. Funny that last post mentioned Lahinch--when we happened upon it it was torrential rain and the guys were coming in from the golf course with their umbrellas not only inverted, but shredded!! However, the short days are a consideration. We also were there the first week in March. Though the weather then was colder, it was sunnier, but the days were a good two hours longer. Makes a difference. But in my opinion there's no time not to go to Ireland!!