Reload this Page >

Travel in December in France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 02:12 PM
CAS

My husband, 19 year old son, and I will be traveling in France for 3 weeks in Nov.-Dec. We realize the weather will not be all that great. We are definitely spending a week in Paris. However, we're not certain about where else to go. I've heard the Christmas Fairs are nice in the Alsace Region but we're are not real keen on traveling on snowy roads. I've been able to find average temperatures but no specific information on actual weather conditions. We enjoy museums, walking around, eating...almost anything but watching sports. Also, we don't won't to have to bring major outdoor winter gear. Any ideas about good places to go in the winter other than Paris? Of course we could spend our entire time there. Thanks. CAS

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 07:52 AM
cccc

Hello everybody there. This is a TRAVEL QUESTION. Please help CAS with her/his dilemma.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 08:16 AM
John

Cas, years ago we spent Christmas at Aigues Mortes in the Camargue - a grand and interesting place and time of year. On Christmas Eve day we drove over to St. Tropez and ate ice cream on the waterfront - eucalyptus and palm trees, what's not to like. On Christmas day we lurked around the town, attended some raffles at the local bars, then watched men playing Petanque from the town walls, a picture of which is on Sally's website. Provence, the Cote d'Azur and the Camargue are such a contrast to the wintry north - worth considering.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 08:24 AM
Book Chick

Plus, if you follow John's suggestion, you can do this by train. San Remo, Italy, on the Italian Riviera is also very nice & temperate & they are used to having visitors at Christmas. (All of the Italian Riviera is also do-able by train.) <BR>Best Wishes, <BR>BC

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 05:47 AM
Joseph

Christmas can be fun in France but do not expect all the seasonal festivities and decorations that we Americans enjoy. The Christmas traditions are different. They don't really listen to much Christmas music and you will be hard pressed to find a decent selection of Christmas music in France. However, some of that is starting to change. It wasn't until recently that the French cities and towns started decorating for the holidays even if it isn't much (compared to us!). Almost every town and city has a Christmas market of some sort. Paris has several I have visited. While there, try some of the chestnuts being roasted out on the streets or some of the hot spiced wines that are popular. Don't be put off by snow in Alsace. I was there last Christmas and we had no snow till New Year's Eve. It is only a slight risk. However, Alsace is worth a trip for Christmas since they decorate and celebrate more in the style Americans are used to due to German influence. Strasbourg has the most famous Christmas market in all of France and would be worth a trip. Yes, the weather probably will be lousy but I never let the weather dictate my attitude and fun. Pay no mind to the weather- besides, what do you want in the middle of December!