Travel guide-book favorite?

May 2nd, 2005, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Travel guide-book favorite?

I am traveling to Scotland for two weeks in June. We will be renting a car and planning on driving all over . . . what is your favorite guide book? Lonely planet/fodor's/rough guide/Baedeker's? And why? I can only buy a couple books and want to get the most for my money. We already know where we're staying so books that list housing as their speciality are not necessary. Thanks.
May 2nd, 2005, 05:22 PM

Well, I think that as you are posting this question here, that Fodor's should be in the mix. We found our best hotel in Amsterdam based on Fodor's recommendations.

I think your take on Lonely Planet may be more generationally based. It doesn't work for me, but I'm a bit older than this guide is aimed for.

Have you looked at "Scotland, The Best".. they compile the best of a myriad of catagories, best beach, coast walk, pub food etc...

My suggestion is to find a place in Scotland you would like to be in... and then spend a number of days, just being there. You can't lose!

Have a grand time!
May 2nd, 2005, 05:35 PM

We really like one called "Scotland's Best-Loved Driving Tours." (Shh..it's from Frommer's!)

It lists 25 itineraries around various parts of Scotland - with suggested driving times, lots of things to see and do, etc.

One of the things we love about the book is its emphasis on scenic roads and a few more out-of-way places.

We've never done one of their exact routes, but have used portions of various ones to map out several visits.

It's also fairly small, so packs easily -doesn't add too much bulk or weight.

Gayle
May 2nd, 2005, 07:09 PM

We are also visiting Scotland for the first time in June, and renting a car to explore. I bought Fodor's Exploring Scotland, Frommer's Scotland, and Frommer's Scotland's Best-Loved Driving Tours. They are all excellent in their own right. A friend also gave an older Maverick Guide to Scotland. I'm just reading through the driving tours, and it is helping me to decide what I want to definitely see and the route. I do sort of prefer Frommer's based on the print and layout.
May 3rd, 2005, 08:30 AM

I've found the bet travel guide book is the ones I've created myself. For each of my trips to Great Britain, I've made a list of "Must see" and "maybe see" sites to visit. Then I used all the resources I could find to reserach them - various guide books I own and all that are available in my local public library, plus the vast information available on the World Wide Web. Each guide book brand seems to have its own strengths and preferences - it's interesting to see sites that some books describe in detail but others don't mention at all. That is the blessing of having a public library and a copy machine available. I like Lonely Planet because they always tell you how to get places using public transportation (I don't drive in the UK) and also Eyewitness Guides because of all the great pictures (but the book is quite heavy, don't want to actually carry it around while traveling).

Anyway, I compile all the info I've gleaned on my "Wish List" into a document in Word. The websites specific to various sites of interest frequently have a "how to find us" map that can be copied and pasted into my document. When I have it all compiled and added to and tweaked a billion times, I print it out (double sided to save space), punch holes and put it into a report folder which I carry with me on my trip. It saves me having to choose which guides bring with, and I'm not lugging around a bunch of info I don't need - like the original poster said, the hotel sections are unecessary if you have your lodging arrangements made ahead of time.

But even with my "personal" travel guide, I leave myself open to spontaneity, and I've also realized that the admission prices I've researched may have increased by the time I actually arrive at the places I visit.

Search this Thread