Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dali Museum in Figueres - is it worthy or a trap for tourists?

Old Oct 20th, 1999, 06:50 AM
ph

Hi there! I am planning a trip to Spain in March/2000, including 4 days in Barcelona. do you think I should go on a trip to the Dali Museum in Figueres, or should I stay sightseeing in Barcelona? If the answer is that I should go and se The Master of surrealism, please help-me on tips about how to get there by myself(or it is better book a excursion while in barcelona?). THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE!

Old Oct 20th, 1999, 10:58 AM
elvira

You HAVE to go to the Dali Museum; just the building alone (with the giant eggs on top) and the sculptures in the courtyard are worth the trip. And the Mae West room - well, you have to see it to believe it. <BR>The town itself is very pretty (seaside). You can get there via train from Barcelona easily; it takes about two hours. I don't remember which train station, though.

Old Oct 20th, 1999, 11:04 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

ph, I trust you are not driving. If you <BR>were, you can make a wonderful day of the entire Costa Brava. If not, then I <BR>would opt first for a day trip to a true <BR>marvel--Monserrat. Not to be missed and <BR>an easy trip by local transport from <BR>Barcelona.

Old Oct 20th, 1999, 11:51 AM
michele

Unless you are a major fan of Dali, I would use your four days to scratch the surface of Barcelona ( so much to see) and include a day trip to Montserrat, which is incredible.

Old Oct 20th, 1999, 01:33 PM
Anna

I went there and got sick. In this way I discovered I don't like Dali. It's just a question of tastes. Figueres is very nice though. But I would spend more time in Barcelona, and skip the Dali museum. The Mirņ museum was wonderful. <BR>Anna

Old Oct 20th, 1999, 02:25 PM
Maribel

ph: <BR> While I do generally like and have studied the work of Dali and have Dali lithographs in my home (those so called limited editions supposedly "signed" by the artist, but most likely fake, I strongly suspect, as I was duped as so many have been!), I was very disappointed with the museum. Dali seemed to be laughing from his grave at the gullible who make the pilgramage to his self-designed shrine to the outrageous. (He designed this as his mausoleum). His best and most artistically impressive works are not there (the Reina Sofia in Madrid has some very important pieces, as does MOMA), and I felt that it was, in general, a "tomadura de pelo" (deception, rip-off, mockery, hoax) as my Spanish friends like to describe it. But this is a matter of personal taste and regarding Dali there are some very strong opinions. It is, nonetheless, the second most visited museum in Spain, after the Prado. The building itself is amusing, extravagant, over-the-top, and you will either be entertained by the museum and have a good chuckle over the absurdity of it all or very annoyed that you spent the time (a 2 hr. train ride) and money on it. The town of Figueres is not on the sea; it's an inland humdrum market town, pleasant enough but certainly not in the same league as the beautifully restored medieval villages of Pals or Perallada nearer to the coast. <BR> I would spend my time in Barcelona visiting the architectural marvels of the Modernist arquitect Antonio Gaudi-the Parque Guell, the Pedrera and Casa Batallo, the Sagrada Familia-the Picasso Museum, the spectacular Museum of Romanesque Art and for a day trip I would visit the Monastery of Monserrat, which my fellow Fodorites have told you is indeed a genuine marvel.

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 03:02 AM
ph

Thank you all! I am thinking that, after all, it is better stay in Barcelone. But I would love to read more about it! Please, keep it coming and do not stop! Thanks again in advance!

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 07:17 AM
mustangs81

PH: As the others have stated, it's a matter of perspectives. It was important to me to go to Figueres because, at the time, I was a docent at the Dali Museum in St Petersburg. I got some good insights for my work and enjoyed touring the surrounding area (Costa Brava) which influenced much of Dali's paintings.

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 07:51 AM
frankR

The museum is excellent.Those who don't <BR>like Dali won't like it,bring you own <BR>giraffe & diving suit. <BR> When you get to Barcelona don't miss <BR>the Gaudi architecture, it's mindblowing.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 03:39 AM
NeverBen

Isn't there another Dali museum/home whatever nearby in Cadaques? Anybody been there?

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 08:44 AM
Maribel

Dali's home is in the seaside village of Port Lligat, next to the artist colony of Cadaques. It is open to the public, but I believe that you might have to call ahead for an appt. to visit. I have not been inside-have just driven by on a trip along that northern section of the Costa Brava, near the French border.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 10:09 PM
Graziella

I agree 100% with Maribel . Just want to mention that a wonderful Dali Museum is St Peterbsburg , Florida. Not to missed.