Travel From Tuscany to South of France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Tuscany in June and will be renting a car and making our way to the south of France. We were planning on going to Cinque Terre for a couple of nights, but will late in my pregnancy and not sure if I'll be up for the 5 hour hikes w/ no toilet. Can anyone recommend an alternate suggestion?
Thanks a lot!!!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 03:07 AM

Cassidy - I'd suggest Santa Margherita Ligure.

This is a delightful resort to relax in. If you're feeling up to it, nearby Portofino and Camogli are nearby for a visit.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 09:55 AM
ira

Hi C,

Good advice from Steve.

Are you planning on picking up in Italy and dropping off in France? There are often high dropoff charges for changing countries.

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:16 AM

Ira has a good point. Added to the drop-off charge, rental rates are higher in Italy than in Tuscany - and in Italy you are required to have CDW when you get the car. In France, your Visa/MC/AE gold or above automatically covers CDW - and quite often with a zero deductible. Purchased CDW may have a significent deductible.

Here is what we're doing. We're spending a week in Tuscany (after a week in Rome) with a car. Then we're driving to La Spezia, dropping off the Italy car, taking a 5 1/4 scenic (I'm told) train ride to Nice. We're spending 3 days in Nice, then we'll pick up a French car for the remaining 3 weeks of our trip.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:25 AM
jay

We were just in Santa Margherita and I would also suggest that. Portofino was also very nice. We also stayed in San Remo. This past christmas we drove from Nice to Santa Margherita, to Pisa (Don't Bother), Florence then Back up through Modena to Parma which I would suggest then back to Genoa to San Remo and back to Nice.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks so much for all of your input. Good call on the rental car drop-off, didn't think of that. We'll look up all of your suggestions.
Thanks again!
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 10:08 AM

Cassidy:

You might also consider reversing the order of your trip, if you haven't already reserved everything.

We looked at renting a car in Italy for our 3 week Tuscany/Umbria vacation this spring but opted to fly into Nice instead and rent there. Insurance was included and the rate was much better.

The drive to Tuscany is only about 5 hours, but if you break it up by staying around the Cinque Terra, you can have your cake and eat it, too. Also, you don't need to hike for 5 hours. There are 5 villages in the Cinque Terra (duh!..) and some are pretty close to each other and not difficult hiking, so you can cut it down to less than 2 hours.

Also, there was no drop off charge to leave our car in Rome since we are staying more than the minimum number of days and got in on the lease/buy-back program from Peugeot. Hope this helps.