Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travel from Turin Italy to Switzerland (Crans Montanna)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2013, 02:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear community,

I need to travel from Turin, Italy to a place called Crans Montanna in Switzerland. Can anyone give me some advice or information regarding Bus companies and routes etc?

Thanks
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 03:13 AM

Train: Torino PN dp 8.28 - Ivrea (change) 9.26/9.32 - Aosta ar 10.26
Bus: Aosta dp 11.00 - Martigny ar 12.45 (scenic ride)
Train: Martigny dp 13.08 - Sierre/Siders ar 13.33
Cablecar: Sierre/Siders dp 13.45 - Montana gare ar 13.57
or
Train: Torino PN dp 12.28 - Ivrea (change) 13.26/13.36 - Aosta ar 14.48
Bus: Aosta dp 16.00 - Martigny ar 17.45 (scenic ride)
Train: Martigny dp 18.04 - Sierre/Siders ar 18.30
Cablecar: Sierre/Siders dp 18.45 - Montana gare ar 18.57

Alternatives via Milan:
Torino PN...... dp 13.23 15.40 16.23 18.02
Montana Gare ar 18.35 20.35 21.35 22.43

http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 03:15 AM

Hi Adam, not sure if this helps , but we used a company, Airport Connection Worldwide which were very friendly and kind. The driver came and took us from our hotel in Asti, (which I believe is not to far from Turin)to Interlakken. Our group was of 10 people and we traveled in a very comfortable 16seater. The prices were logical and the driver was very helpful.
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 04:09 AM

I have been to Crans-Montana several times in last few months ( visiting a friend who has an apartment there).

Via Milano tends to be shorter ( the shortest I can see is under 5hrs) vs 5hr30min or longer via Aosta. Also via Milan is alway by train that's easier for changing, staying always in the stations. I feel comfortable Via MIL also probably because I have taken that route many times. Change at Ivrea from train ( station ) to bus ( stop outside the station) in 6 minutes seems quite tight espcially when you don't know the area. Maybe that's why, when I look at the Swiss Rail site (sbb.ch), it does not show what neckervd posted (8.28 - Ivrea (change) 9.26/9.32). It gives dep. 1 hour earlier at 07.28 and the wait at Ivrea is nearly 1hr and the rest is the same.

"cable car " from Sierre to Montana is Funicular.
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 05:16 AM

The bus leaves six minutes after the train arrives for a reason. Train-to-bus interchange times in the timetables are scheduled to allow comfortable but expedient switching. In other words, no panic, but get on with it.

The route neckervd gave you is by far the more scenic, it doesn't take much longer than going the route via the huge Milano Centrale station that intimidates some folks with its size and with the need to look for the binario number (departure track) while waiting in a throng at the head of all tracks and then walk to the train after the number has been posted.

Either way you have to make connections (Milano-Visp-Sierre). If the weather is good and you don't have more luggage than you think fits onto a bus, then I suggest taking the Aosta-Martigny route, it's quite special, goes over the top of the mountains (while the train from Milano goes through a long tunnel), and while on that bus from Aosta to Martigny, think of the St. Bernard rescue dogs as you traverse what was historically their territory...
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 05:38 AM

> The bus leaves six minutes after the train arrives for a reason. Train-to-bus interchange times in the timetables are scheduled to allow comfortable but expedient switching. In other words, no panic, but get on with it.

Not sure if above poster read what I wrote. "when I look at the Swiss Rail site (sbb.ch), it does not show what neckervd posted (8.28 - Ivrea (change) 9.26/9.32). It gives dep. 1 hour earlier at 07.28 and the wait at Ivrea is nearly 1hr and the rest is the same." So in my case, the Swiss site consider 07h28 dep. comfortable ( but not 08h28 ). But Neckervd obviously had 08h28 (looking at Swiss site like me it seems ?) so I'm a bit confused.

> bus leaves six minutes after the train arrives for a reason..

I would feel more comfortable in Swiss stystem for such a short connection because I do that all the time. Maybe the Italins are not too bad either in this regard, lately?
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

ok, thanks everyone! I was a little surprised to see it takes 5 hours but never mind.

I think i may invest in a car and drive!

Anymore ideas please update me.
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 01:30 PM

The change at Ivrea is not at the same platform, but it's really easy. There are even elevators for people who don't like stairs.

But it's true that there are more connections via Milano (with change at Milan and Brig, about 20 EUR more expensive)

There are connections via Novara - Borgomanero and via Novara - Oleggio too.