Reload this Page >

Travel from States to Soca Valley, Slovenia

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
We are in the beginning stages of planning our trip to Slovenia and Croatia. We plan to fly into Slovenia, first spend time in the Soca Valley (around Bovec) and then work our way down through Ljubljana, and down the coast of Croatia, ending in Dubrovnik, flying back to the States from Dubrovnik. We have about 2 1/2 weeks for the entire trip.

I have realized that we are not going to get a great airfare during the summer, but would like to keep the price as reasonable as possible. What is the best way to get to Slovenia from the States? Should we fly into Ljubljana, and then backtrack to the Soca Valley, or could we fly into Trieste or Klagenfurt and then make our way to Bovec? Of these three places, which is the easiest to reach the Soca Valley?
Thank you
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 08:23 AM

Actually, we went there from Venice. It is very near Trieste, but I am not sure you can fly there. The drive from Venice was only 2 hours as I recall.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 09:08 AM

Have you considered flying into one of Europe's big airports and then using one of Europe's budget airlines? Easyjet flies from London Stanstad to Ljubljana and other budgets fly back to London from DBV. You may be able to get a cheap flight from the US to London. (Just using London as a example, can use any other airport that has lots of budget flights).
Check www.whichbudget.com. There are no interline agreements with the budget lines so your luggage will NOT be checked through. They do have lots of restrictions. Very low luggage allowance before fees kick in. With many of them, if you do not check in by their specified time, you are not allowed on the flight. SO will have to leave plenty of time in between the US flight and the budget flight (a day if possible).
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Yes, I have checked in to flying into London, and then taking Europebyair or Easyjet (or another budget carrier) into Slovenia and Croatia. However, at this time, flights from Dallas to London are still around 800-900 dollars. Since it would probably be time consuming to do this, we are only going to fly into London if the fares drop considerably. Where are all these great fares we keep hearing about to Europe! Unfortunately, we keep hearing about rising gas prices, so I don't think they will come down any time soon. I'll keep searching!

Luckily baggage won't be too much of a problem.... I pack very light.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 11:23 AM

Hi Susan,
Usually the cheapest flights into Slovenia are actually into Venice and Trieste. Ljubljana runs about 20% more generally. I would just get the cheapest flight and get to the Soca from there. It is closest to Trieste, but Venice is only about an additional hour. Many international airlines fly into Trieste. Klagenfurt is a great little airport but best for the budget airlines.
Hope this helps. I watch the fares pretty consistently and there have been some great fares Orlando Trieste lately.
Cheers,
Jan
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 04:10 PM

You don't indicate where you're departing from. Austrian Air flies direct to Vienna from NYC and Dulles with a connecting flight to Klagenfurt. We were able to get a decent fare a couple years ago on a similar trip of Dulles via Vienna to Krakow, rather than Klagenfurt, through American Travel Abroard-- www.amta.com, an agency that specializes in travel to Central Europe.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 07:44 AM

We got a great fare last Sept. from Gatwick to Ljubljana on Adria Airways. About $125, I think.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for this advice. We just booked our international tickets.... we fly into Trieste, and out of Dubnrovnik. Now I can really get started doing the research! I'm sure I'll be back with questions as I proceed!