Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Travel from Perigeaux to CDG in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/travel-from-perigeaux-to-cdg-in-paris-894422/)

918PAW Jun 10th, 2011 09:45 AM

Travel from Perigeaux to CDG in Paris

We're renting a house in the Dordogne district after spending a week in Paris. We know to take the train from Gare d'Austerlitz to Perigeaux to get there but for the return, we'd like to go to CDG airport in Paris. What's the best way to do that? Thx.

StCirq Jun 10th, 2011 09:58 AM

It's spelled Périgueux.

There are direct TGVs from Bordeaux and Libourne to CDG. Or you can go back into Paris via the regular train to the Gare d'Austerlitz and then make your way to the airport by RER or taxi.

Carlux Jun 10th, 2011 01:41 PM

Where are you staying in the Dordogne? If you are in the Sarlat area it makes more sense to take the train from Brive la Gaillarde into the city, and then get out to CDG.

918PAW Jun 13th, 2011 09:07 AM

Thanks. We're actually staying in a village called Plazac. On the map I used, Perigueux seemed like the closest place. We plan on renting a car for our time there and from the posts, it seemed that Perigueux was the place to do it. If you have other suggestions, that would be great.

StCirq Jun 13th, 2011 09:47 AM

Well, there's no reason you can't pick up the car in Périgueux and drop it off in Brive or Libourne or Bordeaux if you must have a direct train back to CDG. As long as you drop it off within France, there won't be any extra charges.

justretired Jun 13th, 2011 10:14 AM

Hi- sorry to jump in here, but I have a related question, please. We are traveling to the Dordogne from Boston. We can fly to CDG and make our way south from the airport (where we would rent a car) or fly directly to Bordeaux thorugh either Madrid or Amsterdam. It costs a bit more to fly to Bordeaux, but we would not have the additional train cost and/or possible hotel costs at CDG the night before our return home. Is my thinking correct or is there another way that I haven't htought of? Although we love Paris, we don't intend on visiting it on this trip.

StCirq Jun 13th, 2011 10:28 AM

I'm not sure I understand the question, justretired. Is it that you want to get directly from the Périgord back to CDG for a flight out on the same day?

Boston to Bordeaux through Madrid or Amsterdam seems like a pain to me. Plus, you'll have to get up in the middle of the night in the Dordogne to get to Mérignac for the flight from Bordeaux. And drop off a car before the rental places open probably (which isn't a big obstacle, but one more thing to take into account).

Renting a car at CDG and driving to the Dordogne has never held any appeal for me. Plus, with gas and tolls it costs more than a PREM ticket.

It's just about impossible to find a train from the Dordogne that will get you back to Paris in time for a flight on the same day, and even if there is I'd be mighty nervous about those connections.

So...I'd fly into Paris and take the TGV from CDG to Libourne, rent the car there and be on your way. On the return, you have several choices of trains (Périgueux, Libourne, Bordeaux, Brive), but I think you'll have to spend that last night in Paris.

justretired Jun 13th, 2011 10:37 AM

ST Cirq, you seem to understand our question. If we take the train, we'll have to return to CDG the day before our flight, which we have done on all our past France and Italy trips. In addition, since we will be coming directly from the US, I am concerned about driving after we pick up the car, say in Libourne, the day after the flight. How far is Sarlat, where we are hoping to rent an apartment, from Libourne or should we take the train to somewhere else?

I was trying to brain storm about making this connection and flying seemed to be a possibility. Maybe the TGV is still the best bet. Thanks St Cirq.

StCirq Jun 13th, 2011 10:49 AM

It's about 2.5 hours driving to Sarlat from Libourne.

If you want to minimize the driving, though, take the TGV to Bordeaux and switch to the Corrail train to Périgueux, which takes about an hour and costs about 15 euro. Pick up the car in Périgueux and drive to Sarlat - a little more than a half-hour drive.

justretired Jun 13th, 2011 11:00 AM

OH, this is so helpful. One more question, please. Is Toulouse much further than Bordeaux (to Sarlat) and is that city also connected by the TGV from CDG? We have friends in Toulouse and just thought it might be fun to visit them if possible. We could then drive north and vsit Peche Merle, etc. for a few days before our rental.

Carlux Jun 17th, 2011 12:09 AM

Toulouse is about the same distance as Bordeaux from Sarlat, but is an easier drive, and an easier airport to get in and out of. There is a train that goes directly from Paris, from Gare d'Austerlitz, rather than CDG. Or you could fly from Paris to Toulouse if you want to start there, and then drive up to Sarlat. I think that's what you mean by your itinerary

justretired Jun 18th, 2011 07:42 AM

Thank you all- we decided, for several reasons, to fly to Bordeaux, where we will recover from jet lag, before traveling on to Sarlat. We might first go to St Emilon for the first night- still exploring options. Thanks for the suggestions.