Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Travel from Munich to Vienna (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/travel-from-munich-to-vienna-468082/)

sara_feg Aug 18th, 2004 12:41 PM

Travel from Munich to Vienna

I will be traveling from Munich to Vienna, then on to Prague, Budapest, and Krakow. My question is this-is it worth it to stop in Salzburg? I have heard different things and since they are on opposite sides of Austria, should I at least spend a day there? Then continue my trip onward?

PalQ Aug 18th, 2004 12:55 PM

Salzburg is one of Europe's most gorgeous cities - Baroque through and through, surrounded by hills. You could get off the train for a few hours and get the essence of the city. But it's nice to trek through the decorated-to-the-hilt churches. Salzburg - a one of a kind. For your type of train travel investigate the European East pass, which is good in Austria, Czech, Slovakia, Poland and Hungary - the travel in expensive Austria may make it worth it. Unlike Eurailpasses, can be bought in 2nd class. Base price: 5 days of travel one month: $225 1st cl; $158 second class; extra days $25 and $18. As ALWAYS i highly recommend first class, so much more leisurely.

rex Aug 18th, 2004 12:57 PM

<<is it worth it to stop in Salzburg?>>

Worth what? Well, never mind. The answer is yes.

And I would recommend that you delete one of these three destinations: Prague or Budapest or Krakow. As I have never been to two of the three, I will not deign to tell you which one.

Where are you flying to/from to get to/from Europe (i.e., what European gateway airports)?

And last of all, I would recommendincorprating at least 20% of your days and nights into smaller towns and/or the countryside in one of these countries.

Best wishes,

Rex

sara_feg Aug 18th, 2004 02:00 PM

Pal-Thanks for your response, I will more than likely be spending a day there, most likely spend the night also. I have also looked into the Eastern Europe pass, which I will be getting. I am on a pretty tight budget, so is it worth it in 1st class? I've heard that 2nd is almost the same.

Rex-Thanks for your input as well. I am pretty dead set on the countries I will be visiting and I just put down the cities since I'm not sure which small towns I will be going to. I know that I want to incorporate "getting to know the people" time and being immersed in the culture. I will be flying in and out of Munich by the way.

Riffic Aug 18th, 2004 11:16 PM

Sara,

If you have the time, I would think it only natural that you drop by Salzburg for even a 1-day visit on your way to Vienna--so long as you don't cut short your time in Munich in the process (my favorite city and now my home ;-) )

With the help of the search feature, you could easily put together a one- or two-day itinerary. Plus, arriving via train from Munich and then proceeding on to Vienna would be very easy.

Overall, it would depend on how many days you're staying in Europe. Too many cities in too little time is almost never a good thing.

TopMan Aug 19th, 2004 02:43 AM

I won't comment on the intensity of your itinerary since you know better than anyone how fast you like to move, what will interest you in each place and what won't, etc. Don't be deterred if you are determined..it is your trip, not ours.

Re 1st vs. 2nd Class on trains. As a general "rule" there may be more seats in the 2nd Class cars in the same amount of space that fewer seats occupy in 1st. 2nd class tends to fill up sooner than 1st because it is cheaper and the Europeans are smart travelers.
In my experience the seating quality is about the same although on some trips I've found the 1st class seats to be in better shape.

I like traveling in 1st, and on passes, but I have the money to do so. If you are on a budget (and believe me, most of us are in one way or another) and the price difference is of any concern, then I'd opt for the 2nd class pass.

Re Salzburg. IMO it is worth a stop and, if you possibly can, try to stay in the "old town" section of the city which is where a lot of the major sights are located to include the cathedral. The city is different than any of the others you will be visiting..smaller and seemingly less "grand" than Vienna and perhaps not as over-the-top medieval as you'll find in the wonderful Prague. But stop for a night if you can as I think you won't regret it. And, have a GREAT trip!

sara_feg Aug 19th, 2004 12:46 PM

Thanks all! I have decided on spending 1 full day in Salzburg and then continuing onwards....

Has anyone taken the "Sound of Music" tour? Is is worth it? Or should I concentrate more time on the actual city?

Riffic Aug 19th, 2004 01:00 PM

I do not recommend the SOM tour--especially if you're spending only one day in Salzburg. I've been dragged on this tour 3 times and it's such an inefficient tour. You only see the gazebo, the outside of the von Trapp family house (not the real one, but the one used as such in the movie) and then you end up at the 'inspiration' for the church that served as the wedding scene (in the movie, it was just a Hollywood set).

Trust me, your time will be much more well spent touring the Aldstadt.

robovian Aug 20th, 2004 04:27 PM

If you're going to Vienna, skip Salzburg. It's a tiny, overly touristy version of the real thing (Vienna).

rex Aug 21st, 2004 06:28 AM

<<It's a tiny, overly touristy version of the real thing (Vienna).>>

I could not disagree more. First, Vienna is not in the middle of the wonderful Alpine terrain of the Salzkammergut. Second, Vienna is a city - - a nice one, clean and very proper - - but seems to run almost towards "stiff". And both have their "touristic" elements, but I just don't feel feel like there is any overload of "ticky-tacky" in Salzburg - - whatever there is seems quite overcompensated by truly charming, and "cool" settings for anything you want to experience there - - history, culture, shopping, dining.

If anything, I would say that Salzburg is closer to a "mini"-Prague - - but of course, the language and cultural elements really are two different flavors that are equally, but dissimilarly enjoyable.