Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travel from Munich airport to Courtyard Marriott City Center

Old Apr 26th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the best way to get from the Munich airport to the Courtyard City Center downtown (on Schwanthalerstrasse)? I've printed the map for the S-bahn system and wonder if taking the S8 to the Karlsplatz station (or Hauptbahnhof) and then a taxi to the hotel would work. We've also used "meet and greet" limo services in other cities - is this available or advisable in Munich (more expensive but sometimes worth it)? Thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 01:16 PM

I would plan on the S-8 or S-1 taking about 45 minutes from the airport to the Hbf.

On the plus side, the seats on those trains are spaced widely enough aprt that you probably won't have too much trouble with luggage getting in the way of other travelers.

I think your plan is fine and I would go to the train station and get a taxi there where they are more plentiful but the hotel really isn't all that far from the station and you may want to even walk it.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply, and the info on the time it will take. Glad to know this is a reasonable transport plan!
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 07:28 AM
JN

My understanding is that the Courtyard is walkable--within a few blocks of the Muenchen HBF.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 04:46 PM

CleoB,
Thanks for asking this question. I just won the same hotel via Priceline (name your own price). Knowing which train line to take is great. We'll be there May 9.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the walking tip, JN - I wasn't sure about how far it was, and didn't want to schlep baggage while hunting for the location.

Enjoy your stay, kygirl59! We are going at the end of May, so if you have any tips for me when you get there, just post them here - would love a recent insider report on the location. My relatives tell me the hotel is well-situated so I hope it works well for you!
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:21 PM

CleoB,
The Marriott was clean, comfortable and convenient. It is very close to the main train station. You exit the train station and go out the south side, walk down a block and turn to the right. Have a great time.
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Awesome - thanks! I hope you had a great time! We leave on Sunday and can't wait!!
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:25 AM

CleoB
I will be doing a trip report shortly that I will post. One thing that was recommended to us was Ayinger's (better food than the HBhaus) right across from the HBhaus . My husband had their horseradish soup and said it was great. I didn't even try it. I'm a food chicken, very picky. Have a great time and I hope you are blessed with good weather as we were.