Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travel from Montreaux to Murren-paying for tickets ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling to Murren from Montreaux this summer, and I understand there are several changes of trains on the way. There are many good direction blogs on this journey-that is not my major concern...I am not purchasing a pas at this point, so if I want to buy a ticket for this excursion, do I pay at each changeover or pay for the whole thing at the train station in Montreaux ? Thanks you very much for your help.
Old May 20th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Sorry about spelling errors-
Old May 20th, 2014, 05:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can buy the ticket in Montreux; you'll probably have to change in Visp, Spiez, Interlaken East, and Lauterbrunnen
Old May 20th, 2014, 05:27 PM

At the ticket window in Montreux simply tell them where you want to go and they will give you a ticket that gets you there.

Or you could try buying online at www.sbb.ch/en

Montreux as the origination and Murren BLM as the destination
Old May 20th, 2014, 05:38 PM

marking for later comment. Yes Dukey is right - buy a ticket that covers all various trains - except you have one more change of conveyances - to Murren you take an aerial cable way - to Grutschalp then you change to a train to Murren.

Is that all the travel by public transports you are going to do? Because there are several passes that in the Jungfrau Region itself may be useful - like the Jungfraubahn Pass or the Berner Oberland Pass - both bought locally and covers many things in the area that a Swiss Pass would only cover 50% or 25%.

anyway for oodles of great info on Swiss trains and various passes check out these IMO superb sources: www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

If going from Montreux in the quickest way I am not sure Dukey's route is the fastest - I think the fastest may be via Lausanne and train to Bern and then from there direct to Interlaken-Ost.

And have you considered that you could well take direct from Montreux to Interlaken-Ost (East) you can take the fabled Golden Pass specialty train - takes about an hour longer but is oh so much more scenic that either mainline route Dukey's suggests or via Lausanne/Bern.
Old May 20th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

These responses are very helpful !-I was planning on taking the Golden express, but will look it all over. Thank you everyone...
Old May 20th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Also, IS there any advantage price -wise in purchasing them earlier vs, at the station ? Thanks again...
Old May 20th, 2014, 09:59 PM

Hi Moomer11,

Yes, I always recommend using the Golden Pass route for travel between Montreux and the Oberland. You can use any train on the route, though; you are not restricted to using the specially-marketed GP trains.

You can find the schedules at the Swiss rail site at

www.sbb.ch

Then to find the route, enter

From Montreux
To Mürren (or Muerren)
Via Gstaad

It's that "via Gstaad" that will put you on the GP route. If you have time, I recommend stopping at one of the towns or villages along the route so you can experience some of this different landscape -- it's more green, rolling hills rather than towering peaks. You could stop at Saanen (walk to Gstaad in about an hour), Gstaad, or Rougemont to get a good idea.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old May 21st, 2014, 03:56 AM

Also, IS there any advantage price -wise in purchasing them earlier vs, at the station ? Thanks again>

Generally no IME - how much are you going to travel around on trains, lake boats, cable cars, etc because it does not take many such trips to make some kind of Swiss Pass pay off or the Swiss Card or Swiss Half-Fare Card, etc

A Swiss Pass covers travel to Murren 100% so if using that remote place as a base and coming down and going back, etc investigate the pass or even local passes like the Jungfraubahn Pass or Berner Oberland Pass.

what are your expected total train trips (and boats and postal buses also covered in full by the pass)?
Old May 21st, 2014, 05:37 AM

Try to get the VIP seats on the Golden Pass portion Montreux to Zweisimmen - these have you sitting next to the driver compartment so you can simulate driving the train. Book them on the official GP web site.
Old May 21st, 2014, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

This is the itinerary-I appreciate any thoughts on this-when I added up the fares for 2 of us-for me and my 26 year old son-it came out to be around $710.00 using Travel Europe web site. What I am not sure of now is if the "from" fares, are quoted only having a pass-so I will probably need to review this.
We have made lodging reservations already.

June 22-Lyon to Montreaux -2 nights in Montreaux-I was finding yesterday, mid- afternoon departures only ?
Montreaux to Murrin ( 2 nights there)
Murin to Bern for 1 night, and then to Lausanne for 1 night, and then to the Geneva Airport to leave on the 28th of June. I know that is a great deal of movement, but this is just a taste of Switzerland-and I know we will want to come back. I personally see myself hiking out of Murrin, not having to go way up into the peaks, (my son will possibly want to) and my Mother loved Bern so I really wanted to spend at least some time there. I somehow don't trust ourselves to stay in Bern and get to the Geneva Airport for our flight that leaves at Noon-which is why I wanted to stay in Lausanne, besides I would like to get a glimpse of it. ( we are headed to Madrid). If anyone wants to give advice on which passes might work to make this better, please let me know. The monthly half fare card ? I don't think the Swiss pass, or the Flex pass from what I can tell- thank very much for your thoughts...
Old May 21st, 2014, 06:21 AM

If your fares total $710 - say $650 in Switzerland then a Swiss Pass I think would indeed by cheaper and also give you options to use it more than you may think - like if rain sets in on Murren you may want to go to Bern from there for a day or Lucerne - places better in wet weather than Murren - if going to Schilthorn from Murren a Swiss Pass would get you 50% off that - maybe you want to take a boat ride on Lake Thun some nice afternoon - passes give you more options. But if you know exactly what transports you will be taking and will take no more then go to www.sbb.ch - Swiss Railways site and price it out in Swiss francs - CHF - to compare with a Swiss Pass or Half-Fare Card which costs about $140 then gives you half off everything that moves practically in Switzerland - but you would each need a Half-Fare Card of course.
Old May 21st, 2014, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, will look it over.
Old May 21st, 2014, 07:05 AM

The Lausanne Bern route is only slightly slower; you do not have to take an aerial tramway to Murren unless you wish to.

The Golden Pass route will be somewhat more scenic unless you enjoy lake views.
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:46 AM

The only way to reach Murren is via either of two aerial tramways - or walk! One aerial cable way connects with a train on top that goes to Murren but you definitely do have to take an aerial cable way unless walking.
Old May 21st, 2014, 01:00 PM

There are two aerial cable ways ways to reach Murren - the most direct one, I think, leaves from Lauterbrunnen's train station - it is fairly new, replacing an old ground-level funicular that often had long lines to board - it swooshes up to Grutschalp from where a railway rolls along the cliff's edge to Murren - there is also a popular footpath paralleling the railway to walk the few miles with stunning views down into the Lauterbrunnen Valley and of the majestic Jungfrau Massif looming high above on the other side of the valley.

One of the most popular and easy walks in the whole region IME - midway point has a restaurant with ubiquitous sun terrace - resto is known for its 'farmers omelettes'- traditionally eaten by rural farmers I guess.

The other cable way to Murren leaves from the far end of the Lauterbrunnen Valley at Stechelberg and is a thrilling one - like rising in an airplane - it goes to Gimmelwald and then onto Murren.

Don't miss Gimmelwald, totally unique Gimmelwald.

A popular hiking trail to Murren goes via a steep ravine to Gimmelwald then from there an easy but bit uphill few miles on paved footpaths to Murren.
Old May 21st, 2014, 01:43 PM

And one reason a Swiss Pass could be of great use to anyone staying in Murren or Gimmelwad is that the pass covers the cable ways in full - one of the relatively few that it does cover 100%

Normally cable cars to mountain tops - like Wengen to Mannlichen - are only 50% off with the pass - or from Murren to the Schilthorn/Piz Gloria 50% off.

But a rule of Swiss Passes is that if a conveyance connects two towns or villages - place where folks live and depend on the conveyance for transportation in or out it is covered in full.

So if anyone will be using this to do up and down to other places in the whole region a Swiss Pass could be a good deal - depending of course on train travel to get to this region and back out as well.
Old May 21st, 2014, 09:57 PM

Not sure what you mean PalQ, when you say that one can *only* get to Mürren by cable car. I haven't done it myself, as I've only skied through the village, but the SBB shows a regional train connection to Mürren BLM. Are you saying that the Mürren BLM station is not in Mürren? It looks like it's quite close to Hotel Bellevue.

s
Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:08 AM

> Not sure what you mean PalQ, when you say that one can *only* get to Mürren by cable car.

PalQ wrote, correctly ( for Lauterbrunnen - Grütschalp - Mürren route ) :
One aerial cable way connects with a train on top that goes to Murren. This should answer your question.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:35 AM

swandav - think of it - how could a conventional train ascend that tall cliff - simply impossible - if you have been in Lauterbrunnen you will know how high and sheer that cliff is so just think how would a train go up there. It would have to be turning and twisting in tunnels, etc all for a relatively handful of people wanting to go up there.

That it shows as a regional train connection is that the cable car is part of a thru routing from Interlaken-Ost to Murren.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -