Travel from Malaga to Barcelona

Old Apr 4th, 2019, 07:32 AM
dpd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel from Malaga to Barcelona

We are planning to fly from Malaga to Barcelona in late May and I have a few questions.

1. I read some critical reviews about Vueling Airlines and so I looked at an Iberian flight but noticed that it is operated by Vueling. Would Iberia be any different?
2. Is there trouble with checked bags on these types of flights (otherwise we are taking trains and bus)? Are there stricter size requirements for carry-on bags in Spain than in the US?
3. Flight time is 1 hour 45 minutes. Train time is 5 hours 45 minutes. Someone suggested that when you consider time spent at airports the train time is close to air travel time, door to door, and less stressful. Do you agree?

Thanks,

Dono

Last edited by dpd; Apr 4th, 2019 at 07:33 AM. Reason: more accurate
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 08:06 AM

Mo even with things like getting to airport early and waiting for those bags, etc, flights should be a couple of hour quicker but trains are nice as you see the countryside. for train info check eee.renfe.com; www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts. There used to be an overnight train Malaga-Barcelona but think it may have been withdrawn.
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 08:13 AM

The issue of size requirements for checked bags has nothing to do with differences between countries - it's differences among various airlines' requirements.

If an Iberian flight is being run by Vueling, then you're flying Vueling. I personally haven't heard a lot of bad press about Vueling, but I don't need to fly them for the most part so don't go searching for info on them.

I would personally take the train, but I love trains and hate airports.
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 08:49 AM

Any time any airline says the flight is "run by" some other airline, it IS that other airline. They are just partners.

There are no carryon rules for all of Spain, it is by carrier. I've flown Easyjet out of Spain and their rules are more generous than some legacy carriers. Their only issue is they only allow one, I think (no extra personal item) but the size of that one is pretty big.

Malaga is a pretty easy airport and so is Barcelona. The flight time is only 1:35 hrs, and the train time is 5:50 on the only one that is direct. I'd probably fly as 6 hrs on a train is NOT my idea of fun. Your idea may vary. You can't compare times without considering the time to get to/from the train station, also, that isn't just an airport issue. And Spain does have security clearance from AVEs, also (at least did last time I took one). I agree there is a little more added time to airports than train stations, but there isn't zero with trains. so flying would take maybe 4.5 hrs total, and train perhaps 7 to 7.5.
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 10:34 AM

And you see airports and not the lay of the land in between. But can understand not wanting t spend 6 hours on train and Barcelona's main train station is well out of town.
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 11:52 AM

Barcelona train station is not “ way out of town “..travel much?
the Metro is right there.

Vueling is a good airline ( in my experience.)
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 01:05 PM

I did this flight two years ago and it was delayed 5 hours, something I was told happens often. I was told by the attendant at the desk that this flight often gets cancels if isn't full enough. We ended up flying but came close to switching to the train. May not happen but wanted to mention it.
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 01:29 PM

Barcelona train station is not “ way out of town “..travel much?Passeig de Grącia. Despite being one of Barcelona's most central train stations,Passeig de Grącia Station consists of only two platforms and its trains service only the region of Catalonia.

By that I meant unlike many main stations in Europe, which are close to town centres, Chamartin is well out of the historic main part of town whose main station, before Charmartin took over, was Passeig de Grącia, just consists of only two platforms and serves mainly only the region of Catalonia.

No Charmartin is not a long way out I admit and is has easy metro and regional train service to various parts to town - I should have said Charmartin was on the edge of Barcelona.
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 01:44 PM

We often fly Vueling between Belgium and Spain. Never had any problems with cancellations or major delays.
Other than their legroom being far from generous, it's an okay airline. It's Iberia's low cost airline.
What do you mean by 'problems with checked bags'?
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ View Post
Barcelona train station is not “ way out of town “..travel much?Passeig de Grącia. Despite being one of Barcelona's most central train stations,Passeig de Grącia Station consists of only two platforms and its trains service only the region of Catalonia.

By that I meant unlike many main stations in Europe, which are close to town centres, Chamartin is well out of the historic main part of town whose main station, before Charmartin took over, was Passeig de Grącia, just consists of only two platforms and serves mainly only the region of Catalonia.

No Charmartin is not a long way out I admit and is has easy metro and regional train service to various parts to town - I should have said Charmartin was on the edge of Barcelona.
Me thinks you're confusing Madrid (Chamartin) and Barcelona (Sants) stations.
Sants is not really on the edge of Barcelona, though. It takes only 10 minutes or so by Metro to get to the central areas.

Vueling is just a regular low-cost airline as there are dozens in Europe flying millions of people every year. As previous poster wrote, the only thing I found less than normal was the lack of legroom - but I'm pretty tall, so when you're not, it probably does not matter.
With regard to cancellations and delays: Somebody is always stuck somewhere sometime waiting for a delayed flight... as well as trains don't work like magic all the time but can also have technical issues or breakdowns.
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 03:07 PM
dpd
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the comments. There seems to be some differences in opinions! An airline delay, if it only could be predicted, would make the train preferable Concerning "trouble with checked bags", I meant lost or delayed luggage with flying this airline.
Train is considerably less expensive but that is not the deciding factor.
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 03:51 PM

Could break up that train trip at some lesser touristed towns like Zaragoza - a really amazing lace. and break up long train ride. Some routes go via Madrid if you have not been there.
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by dpd View Post
Concerning "trouble with checked bags", I meant lost or delayed luggage with flying this airline.
Never had problems with lost or delayed luggage. This can happen with any carrier though.

Old Apr 5th, 2019, 11:38 AM

If airlines lose you bags you should have them delivered to the place you're staying.
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 10:41 PM

I haven't flown this journey but if you have to be at the airport substantially before departure, and you have to collect your luggage and get from Barcelona airport to central Barcelona, then I think it becomes marginal whether flying is better than the train. For me, I also consider the environmental impact of flying, my natural feelings of stress about flying, the relative comfort of the train vs plane, not having to worry about how much luggage I have, and the passing scenery.

I've flown three times with Vueling and once with Iberia. Iberia was my least favourite flight (but it was a few years ago). Only a small sample size so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on one person's limited experience.