Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Travel from London to Gatwick (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/travel-from-london-to-gatwick-233011/)

Susan Jun 20th, 2002 06:19 PM

Travel from London to Gatwick

How long does it take to travel from Inter-Continental Hotel (Hyde Park Corner) London to Gatwick Airport by a transportation service? How early do you need to check into the airport prior to a flight from London tot he US? We will be traveling by Ray's Transport, and they request a pick up and check in time for reservations.

bettyk Jun 21st, 2002 05:50 AM

Susan, we were in London in May and also used Ray Skinner to take us to Gatwick. Our flight was at 10:20 AM, so we had Ray pick us up at 6:45 AM at our hotel by Buckingham Palace. It was raining that morning, but Ray got us to the airport safe and sound around 7:45 AM. We had a little exra time but had breakfast and did a some last minute shopping.<BR><BR>If your flight is in the morning, I would allow at least 1-1/2 hours for the trip just in case of traffic delays. Hope this helps.

Beth Jun 21st, 2002 05:53 AM

We just flew out of Gatwick a week or so ago. We did not use a transportation service though -- just went to Victoria Station via the tube and then on Gatwick Express to the airport. It took about 45 - 50 minutes total travelling time from the time we hit the tube station to the time we arrived at the airport. I would get there about 2 hours before departure -- although everything moved very efficiently - there are some different security checkpoints, and I imagine that if the airport were busy, it could take a while to get through them.

Lori Jun 21st, 2002 09:09 AM

Susan,<BR>Allow at least 1 1/2 hours to get to Gatwick - better to have more time then not enough. Ray Skinner is very reliable, we've used in a lot and I've recommended him a lot on this board, everyone has been satisified. (Tell him Lori & John said HI). It's better to be at the airport too early then late, you can always get some breakfast and do a little shopping :-) We did that in April, we were at the airport a little too early (no traffic for once!!) and had breakfast at Garfunkal's (not gourmet dining, but not all that bad) and it was a good way to pass the time.

Linda Jun 21st, 2002 11:16 AM

I think you are missing one part of a Gatwick departure. Allow an hour for shopping. I've learned to do my best shopping in the stores at European airports. Prices are the same, generally, as other non-airport locations but the convenience is unbeatable. I buy my souvenirs, put them in a carry-on, and go right to the plane. No carrying all over the country.<BR><BR>There are about 50-60 stores in the airport once your clear security. Harrods has a small shop. Lots of clothing stores, duty frees, electronics, wide variety of "stuff."<BR><BR>So I suggest you add an extra hour to your arrival time and spend it in the mall.<BR><BR>