Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   TRAVEL FROM LONDON TO DUBLIN (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/travel-from-london-to-dublin-1012590/)

MONIQUETA Apr 26th, 2014 10:11 AM

TRAVEL FROM LONDON TO DUBLIN

HI, I am planning to take a trip from London to Dublin and would like to visit the best places in Ireland and Scotland if possible (my first time there) I will be leaving London on june 30th. and have until july 5th. to visit around.
thanks for your help.

nytraveler Apr 26th, 2014 10:26 AM

I'm sorry but in so few days you can see a little of Ireland (a couple of days in dublin 2 and day trips) or a little of Scotland (2 days in Edinburgh and 2 days trips).

If you insist on doing both you could do 2 days in Dublin and 2 in Edinburgh with the 5th day for travel in between - but I think it's a mistake not to see any countryside in either place.

janisj Apr 26th, 2014 10:28 AM

You have a bit over 5 days -- that's not enough time to see even a tiny % of the 'best' places in one of those countries let alone both.

What sorts of things do you want to see?

janisj Apr 26th, 2014 10:29 AM

we were posting at the same time . . .

Tony2phones Apr 26th, 2014 12:49 PM

Final Departure Airport is ? Interests are?

kbren_phx May 3rd, 2014 04:40 AM

Hello! I am working on similar travel... 5 days in Ireland and trying to figure out what to see and how to approach it. I think that, as others have mentioned, you have to determine what types of things you want to see. Coastal wildlife? charming villages? historic castles? countryside? Rick Steves suggests that with 3 days in Ireland you spend them all in Dublin. I have not been there yet so I do not know if that's the best approach but it's something to think about. With extra days Ring of Kerry and/or Dingle Peninsula top others' lists. One more thing to note... if you are flying you might consider going into Shannon and out of Dublin. You might cover more territory in a shorter time that way.

Padraig May 3rd, 2014 05:56 AM

"Rick Steves suggests that with 3 days in Ireland you spend them all in Dublin."

And I suggest that you make your own decision, based on your particular interests.

The best advisors are those who consider what sort of experience you want, and suggest ways in which you might achieve it. Anybody who says that you must do this, or must not do that, is probably best ignored.

janisj May 3rd, 2014 07:15 AM

kbren_phx: Sorry - since you haven't been yet, I probably wouldn't base anything on what Rick Steves recommends. He is good for a LOT of parts of Europe, but IMO doesn't give good advice for anywhere in Ireland/the British Isles.

In any case, the OP registered, posted this, and has never returned - so either wasn't a serious question or doesn't know how to get back to his/her thread.

Tony2phones May 3rd, 2014 09:43 AM

Try asking a new question of your own and leave out any reference to St Rick of Steves and you might get some answers from people who actually know what they are talking about when it comes to Ireland.

Keith May 8th, 2014 12:35 PM

Flying to Shannon from London is MUCH more expensive than flying to Dublin.

Tony2phones May 8th, 2014 01:13 PM

Got that from Rick Steves as well??? random date Aer Lingus €5 cheaper or €8 more expensive if you add in the extra bus fare..

Keith May 9th, 2014 05:42 AM

I just cheched a trip in August.

London to Dublin round trip €144 British Air or €148 Air France.

London to Shannon round trip €484 Aer Lingus.

Do you know anything but being rude?

Tony2phones May 9th, 2014 07:34 AM

I know a bit about not booking short haul flights outside the 8-6 week window...

I also Know that AirFrance and British Airways are a whole lot more expensive than Aer Lingus and I also know that neither of those carriers have direct flights into Shannon..

I can get a flight London to Shannon Tomorrow for €152 and 10th of August for €67 base compared to €126 and €59 London - Dublin for the same dates..

You want rude I could say something about your ability to check the price of flights, but its difficult to say anything decisive about Prokaryotes

If you have no sense of Humour then Ireland might not be the ideal destination for you.. just a thought.

Keith May 9th, 2014 08:03 AM

I suspect the rest of the people we find in Ireland will be unlike you.

By the way, why snap at me about Rick Steves? I said nothing about him. Do you and Rick have a thing?

MONIQUETA May 10th, 2014 05:41 AM

Thanks so much for all the responses, I really appreciate all your tips! Sorry it took me a while to respond!
I know I have very strech time to visit the whole. I was planning the following: open to suggestions. First time in Ireland and Scottland.

day 1. take London-Glasgow caledoninan Train early in the morning and visit Glasgow until night. Spend night in Edinburgh
day 2 visit Edinburgh
day 3 go to highlands, take a one day tour to visit Loch Ness, Inverness area. Spend the night in Inverness ?
day 4 plane to Dublin
day 4...
day 5 visit Dublin and sorroundings
day 6 I have a Conference all day.
day 7 Free day to visit
day 8 Back to home.

Tony2phones May 10th, 2014 05:51 AM

Not sure I would go Glasgow to Edinburgh just to be there for the night? Have you looked at Rabbies tours from Glasgow http://www.rabbies.com/tours_scotlan...our.asp?lng=en ? Or the sleeper train to Edinburgh to start with ? see the day tours from there?

You can coach and sail between Edinburgh or Glasgow to Belfast see some of the North (Causeway coast etc) Black cab /Titanic tours in Belfast then train down to Dublin for your conference and a sightseeing day (or two) before departure.

MONIQUETA May 10th, 2014 06:24 AM

Nice option Tony! I will check it out!