Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   TRAVEL from Heathrow to Victoria Station area--How best to do it this weekend? (Lots of track work changes--help!) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/travel-from-heathrow-to-victoria-station-area-how-best-to-do-it-this-weekend-lots-of-track-work-changes-help-548765/)

LOTRHP Aug 2nd, 2005 03:25 PM

TRAVEL from Heathrow to Victoria Station area--How best to do it this weekend? (Lots of track work changes--help!)

Hi All,
I'd appreciate your opinion on how best to get from Heathrow airport to the victoria station/st. James Park area...
-----------------------------
(Here's the info that I got from the official tube website on all the changes happening this weekend--TRAVEL CHANGES FOR SATURDAY 6 AND SUNDAY 7 AUGUST INCLUSIVE 2005.
DISTRICT LINE: All weekend, there is no service between Richmond/Acton Town and Earls Court.
PICCADILLY LINE: All weekend, there is no service between Acton Town and Hyde Park Corner.)(and of course the circle line is still not running.)
-------------------------------
Unfortunately there are a lot of changes happening on the tube this weekend so it looks like taking the piccadily line and the district line are out. I was advised that taking the Heathrow express would be too roundabout a way to get to the area I'm going and that I'd still have to switch to two more trains...

It was suggested to me to take one of the express buses that leave Heathrow and go to Victoria station. Has anyone ever taking those buses? How are they? Would you recommend them?

Stumped--would really appreciate your feedback.

WillTravel Aug 2nd, 2005 03:32 PM

Those are just the National Express buses (although this route used to be done by another company). I haven't taken that route, but have taken other NE routes. It should be an easy ride, but slow if there is lots of traffic:

http://www.nationalexpress.com

leonberger Aug 2nd, 2005 04:02 PM

justairports.com

They'll pick you up right on time, drive you to your destination, and charge a reasonable rate.

Avoids the hassle with the public transport...

Gayle

Robespierre Aug 2nd, 2005 04:10 PM

Since you mentioned the Tube, I will assume that you don't have money to burn.

You can buy a one-day, six-zone Day Travelcard that will get you into London (eventually!) and all around town for the rest of the day. Ride the Tube to Acton Town, grab a bus to Earl's Court, and rejoin the District Line to Victoria.

Okay, it's a hassle. It's also £6.

nancy Aug 2nd, 2005 04:16 PM

In 1996 I took what was called the Airbus from Heathrow to Victoria Station. Just walked out of Heathrow and picked up the first one. The cost was approx. $10 and so easy. It did take about 45 minutes but I think it's the best way to go. I definitely would not even consider a tube route with any kind of luggage. By the way, the dollar vs the pound was not that much less than it is now.

WillTravel Aug 2nd, 2005 04:18 PM

The Airbus route has been picked up by National Express, and is the one mentioned above. I think the current cost is around 8 pounds.

Robespierre Aug 2nd, 2005 04:40 PM

You also mentioned the possibility of the Heathrow Express,* but didn't want to hassle with more train changes (I don't blame you).

Well: Paddington is five minutes from Victoria/St. James by taxi, or a few more by 36 or 436 bus.

* If there are two of you, get the latest <i>Time Out London</i> (available on line for &pound;2.50) and you will find a HX twofer on page 192.

flanneruk Aug 2nd, 2005 09:23 PM

Remember that if you have a Z1-6 travel card or a Freedom Pass, they will be valid this weekend on the Heathrow Express and Heathrow Connect.

PatrickLondon Aug 3rd, 2005 03:26 AM

A bit more than five minutes from Paddington to Victoria, however you choose to do it, but the HEX and ordinary bus should still get you there a lot quicker than a direct bus.

gardeniapatti Aug 3rd, 2005 07:31 AM

We used the National Express bus to the Victoria Bus Station. They happened to have a special that was only advertised at the airport. Round trip was only a pound and the time was comparable to riding the underground. The bus was full, but the ride was not unpleasant. We got to see parts of London that we would have missed by riding the underground.

111op Aug 3rd, 2005 07:42 AM

I used National Express from Stansted about two months ago.

Ok ride, but the bus had a rather foul smell. Given the hot weather we had, it wasn't the most comfortable of bus rides.

Not that this applies to you, but I didn't know that that bus makes several stops in Central London. We got off at Hyde Park corner and took a cab to Charing Cross.