Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travel from Granada to Cordoba - Train, Bus, or ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're finalizing our last details for a trip for myself and my husband and my mother-in-law (a spry woman of 67).

I've got all of the basics confirmed, except the best way to travel from Granada to Cordoba (on a Sunday in May).

I checked Renfe out and found a train that takes 2 hours 40 minutes and cost 18.30 euros each (discounted rate).

Any other suggestions? Price and time are the major factors.

Thanks to all of the wonderful postings; I think I've spent a full day reading through info old and new and it's been very helpful to the trip planning!
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 05:21 AM
yk

You can also take the bus: the journey takes about 2hr30mins and costs 11,72 euros.

You can see the schedule and book online in advance here:
http://www.alsa.es
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 05:23 AM

Take the train! Bus is slower und not cheaper.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 09:46 AM

I took the bus last year and it was fine. It's cheaper, but not enough to make a difference. It's about the same time. The thing with the bus though is that there are more departures to choose from. If the train times work for you I would guess it would be no better or worse. For us the departure times of the buses worked out better.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 12:48 PM
kja

Hi, chezcati -

As I recall, another benefit of the bus is that you can put your luggage in a side compartment that is accessed from outside the bus. With the train, you have to carry it up (and then down) a few steps.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 12:55 PM

Hi yk – thank you for posting the bus link. I will be traveling from Seville to Granada and I would like to travel by bus. However when I go on the site, I do not know which bus stations to choose in Seville and Granada. Each city seems to have at least 5 bus stations.

I will be staying near the Cathedral in Seville and staying near the Alhambra in Granada. I would appreciate your help. Thanks.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 03:28 PM

Hi, question those kind of bus have a bathroom in Spain?
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 01:41 PM
yk

roadlesstraveled -
If you go to the website (the link I gave) then click on English on the R hand corner,
For Sevilla you want "Sevilla (Est.Prado)"
There is only one option for Granada that I could see.

I took this bus route in Feb, but in reverse direction. You can click on my screen name and read my trip report. The Sevilla bus station is probably a good 20-min walk to the cathedral. the Granada bus station is quite a bit outside of the city. I took a city bus which took about 30 mins (at rush hr) to get me from center of Granada to the bus station.

Graziella5b - YES, the buses have bathrooms on them.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 09:34 AM

Thank you yk, that was very easy.

I have already read your trip report and I thought it was wonderful. I have been meaning to go back to your report and compliment you on your very detailed description of your trip.

am leaving for Madrid on Saturday and I am doing exactly your same trip, only in reverse. I have printed out sections of your report and will be taking it with me on my trip. Thank you again, the report was very helpful with my planning and I loved your writing style.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 10:30 AM
yk

roadlesstraveled - Glad I could help. Have a wonderful trip, and don't forget to post a trip report when you get back!