Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Travel from Cinque Terra to Pezenaz, France (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/travel-from-cinque-terra-to-pezenaz-france-1437897/)

Kinggirl Jun 27th, 2017 05:45 AM

Travel from Cinque Terra to Pezenaz, France

We are a group of 8 that will be staying in Monterossa then need to head to Pezenaz, France for 10 days. We were hoping for a close by flight, maybe Pisa to Beziers however could not find or they were an unreasonable price.
Should we take train and if so, how many times will we need to change trains? And how long will this take then?
Additionally we wanted to rent cars for Pezenaz. Where is best to pick those up?
We are travelling in September/October.
It is getting very complicated:(. Please help!

Thank you:)!

massimop Jun 27th, 2017 05:52 AM

How about flying to Barcelona from either Pisa or Genova, taking a train into France that gets you close to Pezenaz + has car rental offices? (Sorry can't help you as to where in France would be the best train stop)

PalenQ Jun 27th, 2017 06:31 AM

Should we take train and if so, how many times will we need to change trains? And how long will this take then?>

It's a long slog by train -CT to Perpignan - may be the closest rail station with car rentals- 13-14 hours with about six changes of train! How about taking train to say Marseilles and pick up car and drive along coast? Anyway for train info check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Pvoyageuse Jun 27th, 2017 08:28 AM

PalenQ; the OP is going to Pezenas, not to Perpignan and the nearest station is Beziers.

PalenQ Jun 27th, 2017 08:37 AM

Thanks Pvoyageuse - Beziers is just about 30 minutes before Perpignan - my point was only to be that Pezenas is a long long slog from CT by train - fly for sure -Montpellier or Beziers closest airports I guess.

StCirq Jun 27th, 2017 08:52 AM

It's spelled Pézenas, and I sure wouldn't do this by train.

Pvoyageuse Jun 27th, 2017 08:57 AM

"Beziers is just about 30 minutes before Perpignan"
Over an hour.

"- fly for sure -Montpellier or Beziers closest airports I guess."
There are no suitable flights either to Montpellier or to Beziers.

PalenQ Jun 27th, 2017 12:23 PM

Barcelona may be a real good suggestion for flying -there are also day-long and night-long ferries between I think Livorno, Italy and Barcelona if one don't want to fly.

Lyon Satolas Airport would not be too bad I suppose.

neckervd Jun 27th, 2017 09:48 PM

It's a 700 kms (450 miles) journey from one small provincial town to another one. It cannot be done in a fast way.
It's aboout 12 hrs y train and more or less the same (door to door) by plane (via Paris, MXP - MRS or MXP - TLS)

PalenQ Jun 28th, 2017 07:29 AM

Sounds like an all-day journey no matter how you go!

kerouac Jun 28th, 2017 07:49 AM

Sounds like fun to me.

PalenQ Jun 28th, 2017 07:51 AM

Break up the journey if by land at say Aix-en-Provence a sweet town good for a half-day or longer stop. One of the gems of Provence.