Travel Dates to London & Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2022, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking at April 25-May 16 as potential travel dates, flying into London to visit a friend for 3 days, then flying to Dublin to explore Ireland. Is there anything going on during that time that should be avoided other than King Charles' coronation on May 8th? Will this likely affect travel in Ireland or Northern Ireland? We try to avoid bank holidays and major festivals or celebrations. Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 13th, 2022, 09:20 AM

England has the May Day bank holiday on Mon May 1st. Many will use that to take a long weekend so hotel rate will tend to rise and availability reduce around that time. Same on Monday 8 when there is another bank holiday to celebrate the King's coronation . Again many will likely use the opportunity to take some extra time off.
Old Dec 31st, 2022, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Effect of Bank holiday on public transportation

Originally Posted by crellston
England has the May Day bank holiday on Mon May 1st. Many will use that to take a long weekend so hotel rate will tend to rise and availability reduce around that time. Same on Monday 8 when there is another bank holiday to celebrate the King's coronation . Again many will likely use the opportunity to take some extra time off.
Thanks for your feedback. We know that long weekends lure more travelers in the US and we avoid traveling during them but don't know whether there is as much of an issue elsewhere since most countries get more vacation time than we do. We'll be traveling using public transportation and I suspect that the schedule may be altered but are trains and buses likely to be running pretty regularly on the Bank holiday?
Old Dec 31st, 2022, 02:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by drchris
Thanks for your feedback. We know that long weekends lure more travelers in the US and we avoid traveling during them but don't know whether there is as much of an issue elsewhere since most countries get more vacation time than we do. We'll be traveling using public transportation and I suspect that the schedule may be altered but are trains and buses likely to be running pretty regularly on the Bank holiday?

I never count on rail/tube transport over Bank Holidays. The train companies and TFL tend to do major infrastructure and engineering work over those dates.
Old Jan 22nd, 2023, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!

Originally Posted by janisj
I never count on rail/tube transport over Bank Holidays. The train companies and TFL tend to do major infrastructure and engineering work over those dates. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdpOAXeVkBo
Thanks for the heads up. We are scheduled to travel from Cork to Killarney on May 1st (to avoid being in Killarney vover the race weekend). I hope we don't run into any problems.
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 07:32 PM

https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/news/...rovement-works