Travel between Rome & Venice

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 01:29 PM
steve

Travel between Rome & Venice

Planning trip to Rome and Venice. What is best way to travel between the two cities? How long does it take? How much should I expect to spend?

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Rex

The most often recommended is the eurostar train service. Runs frequently and takes about 3.5 hrs. Excellent first class coach service available which entitiles you to (overpriced but good food) white tablecloth dining car service with real waiters (only two choices, not a full menu).<BR><BR>I have forgotten the price; I think under $40 for 2nd class, under $60 for 1st class.<BR><BR>Complete schedule and fare info from www.trenitalia.com<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 02:24 PM
paula

I would definitely recommend the Eurostar service. We traveled this Fall from Rome to Florence, Florence to Venice, and Venice to Milan. The service was excellent.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 03:54 PM
sis

I, too, would recommend the ES train but will point out that it takes more like 4.5 hours from Roma to Venice. Still, a wonderful way to travel!

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Lewis

Wife and I are going to fly from Venice to Naples in July to head for Positano. Europebyair for 99.00 EACH, 1 HOUR FLIGHT TIME. That is the Quickest way.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 09:36 PM
Jo

By train ofcourse! The quickest train from Rome to Venice is by ES trains (Italy's Eurostar). There's nothing like arriving in Venice by train...stepping off the train and you're on the ferry. I've never been to a train station that's surrounded by water before...so incredible!

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 10:47 PM
Denise

I'd have to vote for plane. Another airline is alpieagles and they have a website www.alpieagles.com. Looks like they have 5 flights each day. Looks like the price was about $75 each way and the flight only takes an hour. Definitely think plane is the way to go!

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 03:12 PM
up up up

topping, for steve<BR>

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 07:50 PM
pinky

If speed is not a factor, I'd go for the train every time. Not really sure flying is all that much faster when you factor everything that entails.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 03:44 AM
Susan

We are a family traveling to Rome in February and are planning on taking the train from Rome to Florence and then after a stay in Florence, off to Venice. I have checked the trenitalia site for the schedule and notice that I have a choice of intercity trains and eurostar trains. Is there a big difference between the trains? Also, what is the difference between eurostar first class and second class. I would like to save some money, but I don't want to be foolish and maybe we should spend a bit more for a more comfortable ride. Although we are trying to travel light, there are four of us all with luggage. Thanks, Susan.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 04:58 AM
brah

The train sounds like such a relaxing way to travel and then you arrive right in the middle of the city. <BR><BR>Rex, what about from Fiorence to Venice? Is there a 1st Class Eurostar connection that will also entitle you to dining room meals? Does that mean they are complimentary or available to you at an additional price?

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:23 AM
elaine

Hi<BR>I flew Rome to Venice one way last year for a price close to what Lewis got.<BR>I arrived in Rome and flew home from Venice. I did save much time as opposed to the approx 4.5 hour train ride. Airport situations, at least for intra-Italy flights are not what some of us experience in the US. No long lines, no checking in 2 hours before the flight, etc etc. I arrived at the Rome airport about 45 minutes before the early morning Alitalia flight (6:30am) and I had 30 minutes to waste. People on the flight seemed to be mostly business people. Flight was less than an hour, arrived in Venice on time, and I collected my suitcase within 10 minutes.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:41 PM
edmann

ROME: I highly recommend hotel 58viacavour de Luxe! <BR>www.58viacavour.it<BR>It is clean, quiet and comfortable, and it is only a few blocks from the Termini Station! it's on the 4th floor of an office building and has a very secure entrance, and it is not a typical hotel.The rooms are with view. The owner is very kind and helpful and speaks some English. There are only 8 rooms, so make sure you have reservations - and he only takes cash - but it's worth every penny! It made our trip to Rome very enjoyable!

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Alice Twain

The flights between Rome and Venice takes 1 hours, but you must add to that hour the one hour trip to the Rome airport, the fact that you have to be at the airport one hour in advance in order to check in, the fact that you will probably have to wait for half an hour in order to colect your bags and getting from the airport to Venice will take you half an hour more. On the whole you will still spend 4 hours travelling. Besides, you must consider that you will have to take public transport (subway or bus) + train or to take a taxi in order to get to the airport, and you will need a bus or a taxi in orer to get from the airport to Venice, this will boost the costs. The train leaves from the center of rome and gets you to the center of Venice, even if you chose to take a taxi n order to reach Termini in Rome and another taxi to reach your hotel once in Venice, you still save a good deal of money and spend but half an hour more travelling.<BR>As for the Eurostar, the escond class is adecuate for everyone (most Italian travellers, even if they are used to travelling in first class on lower train cathegories often travel second class on Eurostars!) and gives a level of comfort that is at least equal to that of an airplane's touristic class. The Restaurant coack offers very costly but in my opinion quite horrible food (pasta is usually overcooked and the sauces are too dry, the meat is flavorless and the vegetables are depressing). The same coach is available to all travellers (first and second class alike) all through the travel, either as a restaurant or as a cafeteria, depending on the hour of the day. If you wich to have dinner on board it is better to book the dinner as you arrive at the train, i think that you should ask the conductor. If (as it often happens) not all seats are booked, in this case, if you are lucky enough, you could be served dinner. There are usually only two &quot;series&quot; of dinners (for instance, 7.30 pm and 8.30 pm).